Music: 2018 Rock & Roll HOF Nominees: We're done with the 60s/70s thank god

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
One of the better initial group of nominees they've released. Not too many there that jump out as being undeserving

Who I think deserves to get in:

Kate Bush
Dire Straits
Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Nina Simone

Realistically though, Bon Jovi will bump someone from that list. They had a lot of hits, most of them bland and boring, but still hits.

PolishBingo

King Pierogie IV
Jan 9, 2006
Link Wray and his Raymen invented hard rock and heavy metal. "Rumble" was banned from the radio in 1958. It appeared in the movie Pulp Fiction but it is not on the soundtrack.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
"Judas PriestNo. It would be nice to see the hall recognize more metal bands at some point, but there are far better options."

There certainly aren't many more influential options. One of the many jokes of the RRHOF is that Abba and Tupac(!) get into the rock hall of fame before the metal gods...

"Dire StraitsNo. One game-changing music video doesn’t get you in."

I recommend going on Spotify and listening to the catalogue, you won't be disappointed. Dire Straits have a great claim if this were a legitimate rock and roll hof.

Are you me? These are the exact same two issues I had with the OP.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Radiohead
LL Cool J
Judas Priest
Depeche Mode
The Cars
Bon Jovi
Dire Straits

Who I would induct. I hope next year Biggie gets nominated now that they have Tupac in. Long overdue.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Dire StraitsNo. One game-changing music video doesn’t get you in.

Sister Rosetta TharpeNo. Again, wrong genre. There is a gospel hall of fame down the highway. Go apply there, and take Father John Misty with you while you’re at it.

I don't have much to say about the RRHOF itself, but I take serious objection to these two opinions here.

Dire Straits was much more than "one music video" and Mark Knopfler was one of the best Rock guitarist of all time. He wasn't a face-melter by any means, but from a technical standpoint he's rivaled by very few. Also as mentioned above, Sultans of Swing is one of the best rock songs of all time.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe is one of the pioneers of Rock n Roll. Of this whole list she might be the most deserving to make it in the HOF.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Why haven't The Guess Who been inducted?

Seems like a gross oversight that takes away from the legitimacy of the Hall

Yes, it seems rather outrageous that The Guess Who has still not been inducted into the Rock and Roll HOF. They've had 19 songs chart the Billboard top 100 during their tenure including 6 in the top 10. How many music fans have not heard the song American Woman? The song reached number 1 on May 9, 1970 and spent 15 weeks on the charts. Also, during the year of 1970, The Guess Who sold more records than The Beatles. There have been many individuals or groups inducted in which you could question whether their brand of music would even be considered Rock and Roll. To say that The Guess Who belongs in the HOF is truly an understatement. Hopefully this injustice gets rectified soon.

:jets

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That’s great, but it is a hall of fame. Being famous is an important criteria. Link Wray is not famous. Not to any notable degree. He’s a trivia answer for guitar nerds.

actually

INFLUENCE is supposed to play an important part into getting into the hall

Def Leppard and Bon Jovi are very famous---but not in--one of the reasons sites is their collective lack of influence

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Are you me? These are the exact same two issues I had with the OP.
Well I can at least understand the Judas Priest sentiment. There's nothing truly unique about them. They're sandwiched in between the Black Sabbath/Zeppelin era and the 80's metal thing.

Dire Straits is one of the greatest rock bands of all time for my money. Knopfler is a world class guitar player and a premier songwriter in a broader pop music sense. No one has really been able to capture their aesthetic because it's just so creative and original.

So yeah they'd be my first vote. I also have to agree with Jump the Shark that a lot of these hip hop artists absolutely don't belong in the Hall before Iron Maiden, who I'm sorry just flat out **** on Judas Priest. I mean for crying out loud just actually change it to the Pop Music Hall, then I'm probably okay with it haha.

edit- suppose my nominations would be
Dire Straits
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Rage Against the Machine
Radiohead
Depeche Mode

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The thing that confuses me about Hall of Fames is that nobody ever argues that the players inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame need to be 'famous/popular', first and foremost, rather than good, do they?

I like the idea of it if it's advertised as 'only the greats make it in and that's the criteria', which I initially thought it was, but if it's the 'Hall of Fame' of Rock, as in it's simply a measure of popularity, who gives a flying ****? You have the sales figures already.

At that point, it doesn't even matter to me that it's organized in a farcical way, which it is-- the premise of measuring fame rather than greatness is already kind of stupid to begin with, IMO.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Iron Maiden wouldn't exist without Judas Priest. Facts.
That is definitely not an absolute statement.
First of all they were hardly the first twin guitar hard rock out there, Thin Lizzy and The Scorpions were probably more popular at the time of Iron Maiden's formation

Secondly Iron Maiden's first band iteration and album is drastically different to what they become and anything similar to early Judas Priest. They were like this theatric punk band who were proficient at their instruments so it wasn't punk.
The peak Bruce Dickinson era and the Halford era definitely have some similarities, however

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
That is definitely not an absolute statement.
First of all they were hardly the first twin guitar hard rock out there, Thin Lizzy and The Scorpions were probably more popular at the time of Iron Maiden's formation

Secondly Iron Maiden's first band iteration and album is drastically different to what they become and anything similar to early Judas Priest. They were like this theatric punk band who were proficient at their instruments so it wasn't punk
Judas Priest were the bridge between Black Sabbath and the NWOBHM.

I am very familiar with Maiden's 80s catalog and their early stuff has nothing to do with punk. Some stuff could be classified as proto-thrash but overall the sound is firmly rooted in Sabbath/Priest/Budgie

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Judas Priest were the bridge between Black Sabbath and the NWOBHM.

I am very familiar with Maiden's 80s catalog and their early stuff has nothing to do with punk. Some stuff could be classified as proto-thrash but overall the sound is firmly rooted in Sabbath/Priest/Budgie

There is a punk tinge to the first album. This from their wikipedia
"Since its release, Iron Maiden has continued to receive praise from reviewers, with AllMusic proclaiming that the album "would still rank as a landmark even if the Dickinson years had never happened" as well as "no better place to hear how both punk and prog rock informed the new wave of British heavy metal.""

All I'm saying is it's quite a reach to say a band that formed in 1975 would have never existed without some other band who at the time was not very successful and not even on a major label until 1977.
The whole late 70's british rock scene was just vast and vibrant.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
There is a punk tinge to the first album. This from their wikipedia
"Since its release, Iron Maiden has continued to receive praise from reviewers, with AllMusic proclaiming that the album "would still rank as a landmark even if the Dickinson years had never happened" as well as "no better place to hear how both punk and prog rock informed the new wave of British heavy metal.""

All I'm saying is it's quite a reach to say a band that formed in 1975 would have never existed without some other band who at the time was not very successful and not even on a major label until 1977.
The whole late 70's british rock scene was just vast and vibrant.
Iron Maiden didn't release an album until 1980, by that time Priest already had 4 straight up heavy metal classics behind their belts. Sad Wings of Destiny is the most important non-Sabbath heavy metal album, bar none. And that's 1976.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad