Red Sox/MLB 2018 REGULAR SEASON - The Price Is Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I'm not gonna pretend to be a huge Hanley Ramirez fan but this makes absolutely no sense to me. And a decision like this will tick off a lot of players.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
What the f***?

If they needed the roster spot for Pedroia, then DFA Swihart. DFA one of Holt/Nunez. DFA JBJ.

DFAing Hanley makes literally zero sense, regardless of the fact that he's cooled off lately.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It’s all about the vesting option. It would’ve been extremely awkward for them to intentionally bench him at times just to prevent him from reaching the required PA’s...not to mention it could lead to a grievance.

Having said that, this clearly makes them a worse team.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
They don't want his vesting option to kick in I'm sure. Something I would expect the Mets to do.

It’s all about the vesting option. It would’ve been extremely awkward for them to intentionally bench him at times just to prevent him from reaching the required PA’s...not to mention it could lead to a grievance.

Having said that, this clearly makes them a worse team.

Obviously that's the case, but DFA him in the offseason if that's case and he hits it. No sense in making your team worse mid season when you're in first place.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Why are they so concerned about next year's option? Keep him on the team this year and if he reaches the milestone because he's hitting well, so be it. You can reevaluate next year if you want him on the team. If you don't you write him a check and say goodbye. Sure, it's not my money but this is not something I want to see from the Red Sox.

Reactions: LSCII

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Why are they so concerned about next year's option? Keep him on the team this year and if he reaches the milestone because he's hitting well, so be it. You can reevaluate next year if you want him on the team. If you don't you write him a check and say goodbye. Sure, it's not my money but this is not something I want to see from the Red Sox.

Exactly this.

The Red Sox print money, and they reset their luxury tax threshold. It's ridiculuos.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Was shaping up to be a real deep team with very good bench options. Why weaken that because of money you might have to pay next year? The only saving grace for me here is if they are able to work out a trade with a team who needs a bat.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
But then again, why would any team give up anything of value when they could nab him for free.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don’t think it’s a team option. It’s a player option. The guy should have been gone a while ago. It was a bad signing to begin with.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Bad signing or not he's still a better hitter than at least six guys still on the roster.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
This team is a WS contender this year and they just weakened the team. So yes, it's worth it. I don't care about the money for next year. Not my concern as a fan.
Well you should because there is a limit to what they will spend over the limit. That means they aren’t active in free agency. How many guys are they paying that aren’t on the team?

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I am not imposing a limit on John Henry. He can choose whether to go into luxury tax or not. We're talking about the Boston Red Sox here, not the Rays or Marlins. If the Sox were in last place, sure DFA Hanley. But I can't get behind this move when you potentially have the best team in baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad