GDT: 2018 Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I enjoy that Vegas is doing well, but I really don't want them to win the cup. It just feels like it invalidates the struggle building to a cup when a franchise knows only success from day 1 through the entire season and post season.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I really wanted Nashville to win because I thought the Knights would have an easier time against them. I don't see the Jets losing to Vegas.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I love the Caps. Second favorite team.

They looked unstoppable. Literally the Bolts couldn't do a thing and the Caps executed at will.

Ovie looking mature, calm, and focused.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think the Bolts win this, but to the extent that I can the arsed to care about the Eastern Conference I hope the Capitals make it.

The Western Conference is win-win for me. It's "patient-building-the-right-way" vs. "****-it-we'll-make-a-Championship-team-out-of-'3rd-liners'." It's the most Lovecraftian match-up of all time, and I love it.

Reactions: FVM

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Caps look hungry and ready to get into the other team's face. Caps in 6.

Jets going to finally stop the Vegas speed train. Jets are just so talented, physical, and deep.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
That trade for Kyle Turris actually turned out worse than Chuck Fletcher's trade for Martin Hanzal. Three assists in 13 games....ooff.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That trade for Kyle Turris actually turned out worse than Chuck Fletcher's trade for Martin Hanzal. Three assists in 13 games....ooff.

The 13g/29a (42p) in 65 regular season games was pretty good. The lack of Playoff points this year does hurt.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Puck hits Hedman in the face, and the refs call a high stick. Tampa of course scores on the PP for the lead.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
The 13g/29a (42p) in 65 regular season games was pretty good. The lack of Playoff points this year does hurt.

I assume it does! He's not getting any younger but yes his salary goes up to 6 million too. Nashville gave up a 2nd in that deal (besides a terrific player in Girard and their number two forward prospect in Kamenev). Factor in a first for Ryan Hartman, who wasn't even rostered in all their playoff games! Paul Fenton should fit right in here.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I assume it does! He's not getting any younger but yes his salary goes up to 6 million too. Nashville gave up a 2nd in that deal (besides a terrific player in Girard and their number two forward prospect in Kamenev). Factor in a first for Ryan Hartman, who wasn't even rostered in all their playoff games! Paul Fenton should fit right in here.
Huh, I had no idea that even happened.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Caps dominating again. They look like they're on a mission since losing the first two games to Columbus.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Caps dominating again. They look like they're on a mission since losing the first two games to Columbus.
Their depth players are really stepping up.

Their blueline has been playing well as a unit. Eller and Connelly were written off by other organizations. Orlov, Vrana, and Wilson are having impacts that you want young players to have in the playoffs.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Well, 2-2 in the East. Road teams are 4-0. And actually, I believe that makes road teams 40-34 during the playoffs now. That seems pretty odd. Why can't the Wild be on the plus side of that? Just once would be nice...

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Honestly this whole Vegas in the SCF thing in year one makes me feel like the expansion process needs to go back to how it was when we entered the league: get scrubs, rejects, and castoffs.

Yeah, I'm bitter.

Reactions: TaLoN

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I love the Vegas story. They've been so fun to watch as they give 110% every shift and play as a team. I don't want to see a new team come in and struggle for years like the Wild, Jackets, and Nashville. That's an awful way to try to build a fanbase and sustain teams in unorthodox locations.

And no, the only legit superstar they got was Fleury and even he was a bit of a question mark due to past playoff performances. Look at their original selections and try to tell me they were gifted a playoff team. Every expert pegged them to be in the cellar. Instead, nearly every player they have is having a career year. Apparently, McPhee and his staff looked at a lot of analytics to find players who needed to be given a legit chance in order to succeed. I do think McPhee is a smart guy and good GM minus some bad trades (Forsberg for Erat and high value picks for Tatar). Gallant is also a hell of a coach and has designed a system that suits the team. Every player has bought into it.

Vegas is showing that you don't need a ton of superstars to win and a hardworking, well-disciplined team can go very far. That gives hope for some of the lesser teams in the league. I think that Vegas's success also casts a bad light on other teams' management. Some of the dinosaurs currently in charge are actually paid Vegas to take the players that are currently breaking out. If I was an owner, I would be doing some serious examining to see how I could build a roster the most efficiently with as little of capspace as possible. Get rid of the "old boys club" in management and go with an all-around staff that uses both analytics and game observations. I would also stay away from trying to sign big names in free agency as those contracts hardly ever look good. Instead, sign players for the bottom of the lineup, develop your stars from within, and make trades to fill needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad