2018 Olympics: What will be the fallout of Russian ban or boycott?

Discussion in 'Russia' started by Yakushev72, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jablkon

Jablkon Registered User

It means that you got OGs 2014 and World cup.... They voted for you. Sure they did it just to smash you with doping scandal. IOC and WADA or FIFA have even more at stake than you have but sure they prepared this scandal just to bash Russia. Especially WADA loves when their laboratories dont work.... But we dont have to continue here. As you said I am not here to push anybobody somewhere. People, especially in your original west dont care about bipolar nationalistic world, so check if you dont overestimate meaning of your country in peoples mind. Thats all I am saying.

2. Fantomas

Fantomas Registered User

If Russia gets anything of this stature in the next 10 years I will personally apologize to you. However the Ukraine crisis and the Syria conflict have changed everything and this has created a cascade of righteousness and vengeance.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. Fantomas

Fantomas Registered User

It will be ugly. I am thinking 5 medals at most.

4. Zalos

Zalos Berktwad

I just found out about the ban and decided to come here to see how Russian fans are reacting. However, this is ridiculous.

To begin with, almost all Olympics athletes are doped. Not just in Russia, but in the US, China, Canada, France, etc. At this point in time, what matters is to avoid getting caught. Sadly, Russia has been caught on a large scale. Now, it must pay the price. There is no conspiracy, your committee just failed at covering itself up. Who's to tell which country will be next?

Meanwhile, I think all Russian athletes should be able to participate in the events if they want to. Sure, the Olympics have a patriotic element to them, but it is also a personal quest for all athletes. They should not have wasted their time and energy on training for nothing. Allow them to participate even if it is just for themselves. And, anyway, Russians will still be able to applaud for them. This is not that big of a deal in the end.

As for the person who said the Olympics are not the same without Russia in them... hum. Get off your high horse, sir? Russia, just like any other single country, does not dictate the quality of a worldwide sporting event. The Olympics will be great even without Russia, thank you very much. In fact, the Olympics would be a lot more fun without the big five in them, as competition in general would be more even. :)

Anyhow, I hope your athletes get to participate!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  5. Fantomas

Fantomas Registered User

It is very easy to tell who won't be next.

6. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

Home Page:
    Countries where the government isn't involved in covering up doping usage of it's athletes definitely won't be next. Which should be about 97% of the countries on this planet.

7. Atas2000

Atas2000 Registered User

So you are telling me that US and Canada are among those 3%?

8. Atas2000

Atas2000 Registered User

Thanks for the thoughts. We will see how it unfolds. Hopefully you are closer to a good prediction than to a scenario we only wish to actually happen. Obviously 2018 is going to be a turning point in very many ways. For better or worse. The board is set, the pieces are moving.

9. Fantomas

Fantomas Registered User

It's not going to happen the way I said it. I think like a commie and too realpolitik.

10. Fantomas

Fantomas Registered User

So who in Russia will have the balls to say that Putin is acting awfully weak on the Russian Olympic ban? The election is coming up after all.

11. Toro2017

Toro2017 Registered User

Is it possible (if Putin really belives that there is this big conspiracy against Russia) that he is looking at the bigger picture here? I mean why would he want to upset chinese people by boycotting IOC and the olympic games, because one team can't use Russia jersey in some hockey contest, on the other side of the world? As I understand Russia and China are practically allies and some dispute on sport world is pretty small thing to risk relationship between Moscow and Beijing.

12. Albatros

Albatros Registered User

Is he acting weak, or did he actually do a secret deal with the IOC? A fairly nominal punishment after which there's full normalization and business continues as usual (also regarding doping no doubt).

13. Atas2000

Atas2000 Registered User

Yep, mafia Russians always do sneaky deals, right?

Just take a walk, take a deep breath and come back without those stereotypes.

14. Atas2000

Atas2000 Registered User

That's a tremendously simplified look at politics.

15. Albatros

Albatros Registered User

Because Good Russian Kid Putin would never do such a sneaky thing, just a stereotype.

[​IMG]

16. Atas2000

Atas2000 Registered User

He is a politician after all. Let's wait and see. There is a lot of stuff going on beyond Olympics and he is winning more board battles than he is losing for now. He has a rep to support though. He has to strike back at some point.

And if it would promise some real political profit to blame Putin now I am pretty sure the whole bunch would be already doing ot. They are not. It speaks volumes.

The whole election thing is in full stride. The punches against Russia and Putin coming left and right now. Although they are ALL old ones, washed up, whataboutist claims and silly exagerrations. Gives, it is the first wave and the pre-election big ones are being saved for right before the elections or they don't have any new ideas.

Either way the year before elections is a special case obviosly. Sports slips down on the agenda pretty damn deep.

With all the balls-o-steel in the world calling out Putin right now won't change a thing. Also it won't give us a leftist shift or something. Realpolitik I guess.

17. Atas2000

Atas2000 Registered User

Your problem is you say it like it is a bad thing. :D

Him being a ex-KGB officer is a positive on his resume while you are floating through the pink clouds far from reality western dellusions.

18. Fantomas

Fantomas Registered User

Which would mean business as usual for Russian oligarchs but lost medals and lifetime bans for innocent athletes?

Super.

19. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

Home Page:
    Oh the irony...

20. Atas2000

Atas2000 Registered User

The irony you don't undestand. You are on quick sand and we watch you sinking in, but you cheer all the way.

KrejciMVP likes this.
  21. KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP Registered User

I think the response from Russia has been appropriate. Fight the decision in arbitration and see where things are. Rational people without and axe to grind know that this is a political decision based on current world events. In the end, Russia will move on and the IOC and Olympics will most likely suffer a huge financial loss in these games.

22. Fantomas

Fantomas Registered User

I doubt this very much.

23. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

Home Page:
    Russian Olympic Committee supports athletes going to Olympics so there propbably won't be any boycott since the national hockey team's players and coaches declared their willingness to play as well.

24. RossiyaSport

RossiyaSport Registered User

Home Page:
    6 womens hockey players. No evidence. No evidence offered in the ruling. The words of a paid off criminal. Athletes who have never failed a test.

So Rodchenkov's words go from "the whole womens team was on dope cocktails" to banning 6 girls with zero evidence.

So the logic ppl want to push is a team that finished 6th at the Olympics was on 'dope' but then all big tournaments after which were in places like Sweden, Canada etc they finished better. And nobody failed a test. So they want to say that the tournament where they had the worst result they were on dope. This is really the hypothesis people want to go with?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017 at 10:41 AM
  25. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

Home Page:
    You don't need to fail a test to get banned. Avoiding testing or tampering with testing are offenses that result in bans as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.