2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You and that other deviant @Andrei79 need to get a room.

He nearly sniped one short side, then took the puck for a beautiful feed that would have been a tap in if the Swiss defender didn't tie up Hughes. Then he takes the puck and dangles through the Swiss player and gets to the middle where he gets slashed and drew a penalty.

That shift was a MAMMA MIA MOMENT

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Wonder how much we're going to hear about Wahlstrom's reluctance to forecheck today.
Come on now, the forecheck concerns are real. Doesnt mean he cant ever do it or that hes not the third/second best forward prospect in the draft or that hes not an absolute monster of a goalscorer.

Anyway, wouldnt want him to forecheck, all id want is more implication on the ice, but goalscorer gonna goal score.

Reactions: le_sean

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
On the other hand, Wahlstrom has 16 SOG in 2 games now, which is kinda nuts. It's clear that he's going into the tournament with a pure sniper mindset and not chasing the puck all that much. I don't get to see much of the USHL so I can't tell if that's the norm for him or if his coach told him to play the Brett Hull role for the U18.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
On the other hand, Wahlstrom has 16 SOG in 2 games now, which is kinda nuts. It's clear that he's going into the tournament with a pure sniper mindset and not chasing the puck all that much. I don't get to see much of the USHL so I can't tell if that's the norm for him.

Almost all of them were legitimate scoring chances.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I have to admit I'm starting to see the light as far as Farabee is concerned. I used to downplay him a bit but after seeing him more I can tell he's got actual game. Better frame than what I was expecting too.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Farabee is a very good player. I didn't share WTK's doubts about his shot. One of the first times I watched him was at the 5 nations in Hämeenlinna last year, in which he scored with a beautiful snap shot far side top corner. It's just not in the same universe as Wahlstrom's though. Every aspect of Wahlstrom's shot is NHL quality. I vastly prefer players with an elite tool: something they can already do that will pay the bills at the NHL level. This is why Wahlstrom is top 5 for me, while Farabee is top 15.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Farabee is a very good player. I didn't share WTK's doubts about his shot. One of the first times I watched him was at the 5 nations in Hämeenlinna last year, in which he scored with a beautiful snap shot far side top corner. It's just not in the same universe as Wahlstrom's though. Every aspect of Wahlstrom's shot is NHL quality. I vastly prefer players with an elite tool: something they can already do that will pay the bills at the NHL level. This is why Wahlstrom is top 5 for me, while Farabee is top 15.
That very true more often than not. It's the Laine versus Puljujärvi dilemma, you've got a limited player on one hand who does have that one elite part of his game versus the more polished, better all around prospect. The former is the one that ended up doing better because what he does best translates perfectly at the next level. The latter is still searching for his role in the NHL. Pure scoring will almost always translate.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That very true more often than not. It's the Laine versus Puljujärvi dilemma, you've got a limited player on one hand who does have that one elite part of his game versus the more polished, better all around prospect. The former is the one that ended up doing better because what he does best translates perfectly at the next level. The latter is still searching for his role in the NHL.
I'm guilty of saying Puljujarvi might have been better than Laine back in 15. Granted, I didn't watch any PO games that year, so I'm "kinda" excused.

Still pretty bummed at Puljujarvi not sticking, guy does everything so well, there's no way he can't be a 50+ player in this league.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I feel like 2 teams are gonna get insanely good value w/ Farabee and Smith.

Lol what. Lundkvist better be a hell of a prospect because from my viewings i like Farabee as much as Wahlstrom, both are insanely high end prospects.

I can't say much about Lundkvist (haven't seen him play other than a few international games) but i haven't seen him in the 1st round of any legit lists. That's not to discredit him as a prospect, that's just to say that it's very likely he ends up going in the 2nd round anyways.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad