2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Agreed.

I feel passing up on Kotkaniemi could be another Kopitar situation. At some point, when that level of skill at center is there, you go for it.

And for the "Zadina is the consensus no.3", Button just said what most of us who actually follow the prospects in the thread are saying: after Svechnikov, things aren't as clear. But, what do us computer scouts know.

I've never seen Kokamamie play or if I did, didn't notice him but what has me wary is that he has not been used exclusively as a center. Why doesn't that ring alarm bells for all the posters advocating picking him with our third. It's fine and dandy to say he projects as a center but his coaches are not convinced enough to use him solely as a center.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I've never seen Kokamamie play or if I did didn't notice him but what has me wary is that he has not been used exclusively as a center. Why doesn't that ring alarm bells for all the posters advocating picking him with our third. It's fine and dandy to say he projects as a center but his coaches are not convinced enough to use him solely as a center.

He's been Finlands first line center in the last two U18 tourney's (IIHF and the 5 Nations). Seeing as his dads his coach, I'd bank good money that's where he'll play next year. He started there but its a tough spot to be in at 17 in a mens league.

Reactions: G0bias

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Who ever said Hayton at 3, wtf ?

You asked if we would trade Borgstrom for the 3rd... I'm asking you how that would make sense following your very own thoughts on trade values from just a few weeks ago.
As in taking the drafts top C at 3. For some that is Hayton.

And you're being disingenuous. These are two separate discussions.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
As in taking the drafts top C at 3. For some that is Hayton.

And you're being disingenuous. These are two separate discussions.

They're not though. If you can't reconcile your own thoughts on the matter, how can you ask others to ? You're asking a question that doesn't even make sense to you.

And bringing up Hayton at 3, in this thread you're an active participant in is bordering on trolling posters here.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
So true, which is why our two early seconds are so valuable.

What we need, is another pick in the top 10 for Pacioretty, for one of the defensemen.

If we can move up from our two late seconds, we should do it too.

We can start solving a lot of organizational issues in just one draft and fix the Sergachev mistake.
Which is why part of me wants to draft a dman with our 1st. The forwards are much better in the 2nd round compared to the dmen imo. Unless a Lundkvist/Alexeyev/Sandin make it which I wouldn't bet on it.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Which is why part of me wants to draft a dman with our 1st. The forwards are much better in the 2nd round compared to the dmen imo. Unless a Lundkvist/Alexeyev/Sandin make it which I wouldn't bet on it.

I wouldnt be mad if we did.

I really hope Pacioretty gets us in the top 10, too. Kotkaniemi + a D would make this draft a huge success.

Reactions: philipsson

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
They're not though. If you can't reconcile your own thoughts on the matter, how can you ask others to ? You're asking a question that doesn't even make sense to you.

And bringing up Hayton at 3, in this thread you're an active participant in is bordering on trolling posters here.
Bro what the heck are you even taking about. Put the joint down and get back to reality.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I wouldnt be mad if we did.

I really hope Pacioretty gets us in the top 10, too. Kotkaniemi + a D would make this draft a huge success.
Ideal return would be a 1st near the top 10 and a 1st next year. If that 1st also ends up being fairly high, who knows what we could add to get a high end centerman. 2 of Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Cozens, Turcotte, Newhook, Lavoie, Suzuki and probably more. Dobson, Kotkaniemi, Dach, Cozens(more than likely not getting both these guys, one of the other guys are possible imo) + the 2nd rounders this year would change the team completely.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

That's an interesting quote and quite the bit of good news.

In the replies to his tweet, he explains how there is a lack of consensus on those picks. Of course, that's only based on the scouts he knows -- there may be greater clarification on who belongs in that bracket the closer we get to the draft.

He also adds that it's a "great D draft." Does he mean that he'd favor Ds within the 15-45 bracket? I have to assume he is, since that's a comment within the same tweet.

Then this comment:

What's interesting here is how Sandin can make it to us with our first second rounder.

Now, back to the 15-45 comment -- if it turns out that the lack of consensus remains within this bracket leading up to the draft, it can only mean good news for us. Some real good players may end up slipping to us that we may have not had a chance at. Of course, it will depend on whether the Habs' drafting contingent itself has arrived at some kind of internal consensus ranking.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It really matters if we can find 3 organizations stupid enough to draft BO Groulx, M. Samuelsson and R. McLeod before we pick in the 2nd

If the state of chaos is real, you might find more than just 3 organization overreaching. Problem is, we don't have the most brilliant drafting contingent either -- what if we commit our own form of overreaching with some of our second rounders?

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Bland and there's nothing good about his game that won't be completely neutralized when everyone else progresses physically and strengthens fundamentals.
6'4" height and the strength that comes with it doesn't just disappear. Neither do defensive smarts, puck moving abilities and meanness. I mean, he's not some offensive juggernaut, but Samuelsson's slapshot isn't half bad either, and he's a... decent skater. His name isn't Adam.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
So true, which is why our two early seconds are so valuable.

What we need, is another pick in the top 10 for Pacioretty, for one of the defensemen.

If we can move up from our two late seconds, we should do it too.

We can start solving a lot of organizational issues in just one draft and fix the Sergachev mistake.

I do agree that this year is particularly all over the place! FUN!! I wonder if that will means more trading or less?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
6'4" height and the strength that comes with it doesn't just disappear. Neither do defensive smarts, puck moving abilities and meanness. I mean, he's not some offensive juggernaut, but Samuelsson's slapshot isn't half bad either, and he's a... decent skater. His name isn't Adam.

No but that advantage when you start playing pro goes away, everyone is strong. I'm not wasting a high pick on someone who plays the game like Karl Alzner. Seen his type too many times over the years.. classic first round bust material.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
No but that advantage when you start playing pro goes away, everyone is strong. I'm not wasting a high pick on someone who plays the game like Karl Alzner. Seen his type too many times over the years.. classic first round bust material.
Mattias Samuelsson is no Karl Alzner, he's got some actual skill. Also, Alzner wasn't a bad player just a few years ago. When it comes down to it though, Samuelsson has better puck moving abilities, skating and thinks the game faster. He's not Adam Ginnning, and he's not Adam Samuelsson. There's more to his game.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
We only need Mark Edwards' scouts to be right. If it's not Sandin, we should have someone just as valuable slipping.

There will DEFINITELY be guys around at 35 who left Friday night with tears in their eyes and who had a lot of 1st RD buzz... Timmins will find us some good prospects, but they may not be the guys we've been hyping. He seems to have been able to find really good value at the past few drafts by picking guys who were flying a bit under the radar... guys like Juulsen, Poehling, Fleury, Brooks & Primeau I think have all proven to be very good value at their draft spots (not that they will necessarily work out...). Of course there are some that have completely missed... but I still like the approach lately and I'm excited to see who Timmins has fallen in love with.... especially at 3!

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
There will DEFINITELY be guys around at 35 who left Friday night with tears in their eyes and who had a lot of 1st RD buzz... Timmins will find us some good prospects, but they may not be the guys we've been hyping. He seems to have been able to find really good value at the past few drafts by picking guys who were flying a bit under the radar... guys like Juulsen, Poehling, Fleury, Brooks & Primeau I think have all proven to be very good value at their draft spots (not that they will necessarily work out...). Of course there are some that have completely missed... but I still like the approach lately and I'm excited to see who Timmins has fallen in love with.... especially at 3!

We also got excited back in 2012 when concencus “late first/early seconds” Collberg & Thrower fell into our lap. Similar situation in 2013 with DLR & Fucale.

Sometimes guys fall for a good reason, and the bait should be avoided.

Reactions: WinterLion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad