2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Question for you guys. Will say the Habs wanted to trade the #3 pick for other draft picks and let's say the #3 will be Zadina what is that worth? Is it worth Detroit's #6 and potential #31 (Vegas' pick)? NY Rangers #9 and #26 and/or #28? or NY Islanders #11 and #12? Which would you do?
11 and 12 would be the most intriguing for me. We already have nice depth of picks with all those seconds. Not sure I'd do it, but I'd think about it. If we could end up with Kotkaniemi and Ty Smith that would be a slam dunk.

thedoubledown

May 24, 2018
Watch them take Tkachuk. There are guys who I think NHL GMs like alot more than HF posters... Tkachuk (and Bouchard) seem to be outside of most everyones top 5 and almost most everyones top 10 even. But come draft day I think those 2 go top 5.
I would be very surprised. For Bouchard, to me he is a sort of 2nd pair D but 1rst PP unit. His greatest asset is his shot and the way he QBs the PP. For a big guy he isn't physical, he doesn't carry the puck, does a good job with first pass and doesn't skate like the other 4 Ds in the Top 10 who I believe will be picked ahead of him. For Tkachuk don't see him as a Top line forward he just has never scored enough at any level for that. The only time he has really produced was at WJC and I believe it is because of the greatness of Mittelstatd and not Tkachuk per say. A good comparison for me is with his brother Matthew looking at the 2 years they played in USNTDP. Matthew production was 50% higher than Brady's both years. Combining both years 1.08pts/game for Matthew vs. 0.68pts/game for Brady. By the way great players in that program like Matthews or Jack Hughes score at about 2.00pts/game.

thedoubledown

May 24, 2018
11 and 12 would be the most intriguing for me. We already have nice depth of picks with all those seconds. Not sure I'd do it, but I'd think about it. If we could end up with Kotkaniemi and Ty Smith that would be a slam dunk.
Reason I am asking is for me the most intriguing would be NY Rangers 9, 26 and 28. Maybe the Habs would need to add a late 2nd but then Habs would get probably a player that fell out of Top 8 or Kotkaniemi, they could then trade up to early 20s with other 2 picks giving up a 2nd in both cases to do so.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I would be very surprised. For Bouchard, to me he is a sort of 2nd pair D but 1rst PP unit. His greatest asset is his shot and the way he QBs the PP. For a big guy he isn't physical, he doesn't carry the puck, does a good job with first pass and doesn't skate like the other 4 Ds in the Top 10 who I believe will be picked ahead of him. For Tkachuk don't see him as a Top line forward he just has never scored enough at any level for that. The only time he has really produced was at WJC and I believe it is because of the greatness of Mittelstatd and not Tkachuk per say. A good comparison for me is with his brother Matthew looking at the 2 years they played in USNTDP. Matthew production was 50% higher than Brady's both years. Combining both years 1.08pts/game for Matthew vs. 0.68pts/game for Brady. By the way great players in that program like Matthews or Jack Hughes score at about 2.00pts/game.
Not really. If you go back to 2 seasons with the USNTDP Juniors, Tkachuk was a point per game player- While Wahlstrom for example had only 13 points in 29 games. He's pretty much produced everywhere- even last year his numbers aren't even as bad as some like to make them out to be. He was right with the team leaders in points per game- and did so as a draft eligible freshman.

Production get slightly overrated when evaluating prospects in my opinion, you're looking for traits first and foremost. Too many other factors that can skew production.

Ultimately though he's not in my top 3, so I'm not advocating for him. If we were picking 5th or 6th though like we were expected to pre-lottery he'd definitely be a target. I have him 5th on my big board:

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Hughes
5. Tkachuk

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Let's pick Zadina or Tkachuk. Next year get Alex Newhook. Following year Lafreniere. Next year's draft is gonna be stacked with centers. Hopefully they keep progressing in the right direction.

thedoubledown

May 24, 2018
Not really. If you go back to 2 seasons with the USNTDP Juniors, Tkachuk was a point per game player- While Wahlstrom for example had only 13 points in 29 games. He's pretty much produced everywhere- even last year his numbers aren't even as bad as some like to make them out to be. He was right with the team leaders in points per game- and did so as a draft eligible freshman.

Production get slightly overrated when evaluating prospects in my opinion, you're looking for traits first and foremost. Too many other factors that can skew production.

Ultimately though he's not in my top 3, so I'm not advocating for him. If we were picking 5th or 6th though like we were expected to pre-lottery he'd definitely be a target. I have him 5th on my big board:

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Hughes
5. Tkachuk

I understand your point of view but the reality is a great player dominates at every level. To give you the exact numbers of Brady vs. Matthew. Brady was almost 3 months older than his brother and produced at 0.45pts/game in the U17 and 0.88pts/game in U18 vs. Matthew 0.62pts/game in U17 and 1.46pts/game in U18. Both of those are significant. For me Tkachuk is a bigger version of Gallagher which is great but shouldn't be a Top 5 pick. For me and i am not saying they are the same but the Habs will be able to draft a Benoit-Olivier Groulx in the 2nd round who can play a similar role as Tkachuk on a 2nd or 3rd line.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Let's pick Zadina or Tkachuk. Next year get Alex Newhook. Following year Lafreniere. Next year's draft is gonna be stacked with centers. Hopefully they keep progressing in the right direction.

Glad somebody else knows about Newhook. My cousin who lives out west mentioned his name earlier this year to me.

That said, Dach and Cozens are higher on my list for now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For the ''take BPA no matter the position, and make trades to fill needs'' crowd here, how do you imagine that working if we take one of the wingers (not Svechnikov)? Let's say we take Zadina and he becomes a 40-30 player. I don't think you're trading him. So, we're trading off the rest of our roster, which raises the further question of why haven't we done it already to address a decades old issue?

The other possibility is that Zadina becomes a less than special player in which case we're back in the same spot.

For me I think you need to manage your assets correctly which clearly the Habs haven't done. I don't know what happens as who knows what the roster is going to look like, how much longer will MB be here, etc... But for me, if you are smart, you trade a player like Pac after last season knowing that the return should be very good and that he's going to cost you a lot when he hits UFA. Get a younger, cheaper player. Instead this management team trades younger players for older which is going to burn you down the road.

So with Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, I think you have what could be solid players for us when they are in their prime years. So I would look to trade Galchenyuk and Gallagher (since Pac would have already been traded last year). I don't think Gallagher's body will hold up so trade him when his value is at what you think is his peak for max return. If say Galchenyuk has a big year next year then trade him if you don't think he's going to re-sign and with MB he's never going to be a center.

I'm a phillies fan and after they won the world series, the years that followed their best players were getting older, but they didn't trade them for younger/cheaper talent. Then it was too late so the return was low and now you don't have much talent. I know baseball is very different then hockey, but my point is, if you manage your assets correctly and you draft well, you should be able to just draft whoever is the best player while making trades from a position of strength. Like Nashville who trades a top pairing D in Weber who was always among the top goal scorers for defensemen but was getting older. They replaced him with a younger/cheaper player (though not by much depending on when Weber retires).

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Late round hf habs swedish darlings review -

Linus Karlsson - Smart player, would draft. Needs to get faster, but his skating is technically fine.
Carl Wassenius - Awful, awful skater. Has smooth hands and a powerful shot, but good god.
Simon Johansson - Smart, smooth skater, pro size, may have some serious upside
Axel Bergkvist - Reminds me of Nicolas Beaudin, both in ability and concerns. Fantastic passer, but he's small and not an elite skater. Don't think he gets drafted this year, but there's something there.
Markus Karlberg - Shinny player.

Is this from watching them recently? If so, how? That Berggren vs Bokk thread has me wanting to go back and watch some SuperElit playoffs.

Last edited:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think there are other ways to get that #1 C than reaching for Kotkaniemi and crossing your fingers. The most obvious one is throwing a shit ton of money at Tavares. If that fails, then next year looks like a great year to be in the lottery if you need a Center. As well, I think Pacioretty could fetch a comparable lottery ticket to Kotkaniemi in return. We also could dedicate our many 2nd rounders on some lottery ticket centers.

I think we just need to accept the fact that there just isn't a sure fire stud center in this draft. A year from now Kotkaniemi could be looking like Gabe Vilardi, Kupari could be looking like Filip Chytil or Barrett Hayton could be looking like Robert Thomas. But I think the best way to get one of those guys is through a trade as opposed to using the 3rd pick on them.

Heck I think we could trade the 3rd pick and get a top flight center prospect who's a year older.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Brady Tkachuk will be an NHLer, and a likely good 2nd liner who can complement first liners well, but he will not be the 3rd best player to come out of this draft, and at 3rd overall we need to take someone who can reach that level.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Question for you guys. Will say the Habs wanted to trade the #3 pick for other draft picks and let's say the #3 will be Zadina what is that worth? Is it worth Detroit's #6 and potential #31 (Vegas' pick)? NY Rangers #9 and #26 and/or #28? or NY Islanders #11 and #12? Which would you do?
I'd prefer the NYR deal, gives an elite prospect + we have 8 picks on the top 66.
9: Dobson
26: Berggren
30?: Tychonick

Reactions: Frank JT

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Brady Tkachuk will be an NHLer, and a likely good 2nd liner who can complement first liners well, but he will not be the 3rd best player to come out of this draft, and at 3rd overall we need to take someone who can reach that level.
I don't think Zadina will be a top three player either, it's gonna be one of the Dmen.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Would any of you consider Elias Pettersson for the 3rd overall?

God, I wish we had PLD.
I don't think Vancouver is interested in moving him.

How about the 3rd for Borgstrom? Florida has centers and could fall in love with hometown boy Quinn Hughes. I'd prefer Borgstrom to Kotkaniemi.

Reactions: Frank JT

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Would any of you consider Elias Pettersson for the 3rd overall?

God, I wish we had PLD.

Lol.

I wouldn't even need to consider it. I would immediately say yes without a second thought and send Benning a bottle of champagne as regards. Heck, theres not a single asset aside from next years pick I wouldnt trade for Pettersson.

There's no chance of it happening though.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't think Vancouver is interested in moving him.

How about the 3rd for Borgstrom? Florida has centers and could fall in love with hometown boy Quinn Hughes. I'd prefer Borgstrom to Kotkaniemi.

My problem here is twofold:

1. Why not just draft the Fin that's not even 18 yet and will be cheap at the right time, when our other prospects will be ready.

2. You're either not being consistent, or you have a skewed perception of trade values. Borgstrom is worth the 3rd, Vilardi is a cut above and Pacioretty could get the latter+. So what, Pacioretty is worth Dahlin ? I don't understand your logic here.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Listen at 2:58. What Mark Kelley, Blackhawks VP and head of amateur scouting has to say.

It's all about which player is the Ifit for their organization. They don't care about consensus. The rest of the series is interesting and fun to watch. On the Clock with the Blackhawks organization.

And at 5:00, there's a little surprise for you all hahahahahaha

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I think we just need to accept the fact that there just isn't a sure fire stud center in this draft. A year from now Kotkaniemi could be looking like Gabe Vilardi, Kupari could be looking like Filip Chytil or Barrett Hayton could be looking like Robert Thomas. But I think the best way to get one of those guys is through a trade as opposed to using the 3rd pick on them.

Heck I think we could trade the 3rd pick and get a top flight center prospect who's a year older.

Getting them through the draft is precisely because you can't get them through trade - atleast not with a guy who thinks Shaw is worth two high 2nds, or Weber alone is worth Subban.

Bergevin couldn't even get one with Sergachev, probably our most valuable asset, what makes you think he can swindle a GM into giving us one for Pacioretty or whomever else we have.

Reactions: Runner77

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
My problem here is twofold:

1. Why not just draft the Fin that's not even 18 yet and will be cheap at the right time, when our other prospects will be ready.

2. You're either not being consistent, or you have a skewed perception of trade values. Borgstrom is worth the 3rd, Vilardi is a cut above and Pacioretty could get the latter+. So what, Pacioretty is worth Dahlin ? I don't understand your logic here.
1. I just see more upside in Borgstrom. Just a more dynamic offensive talent IMO. The fact he can step in next year is a big positive too, not a negative.

2. What?! Firstly I'm not advocating trading 3 for Borgstrom. Just stating I'd prefer that as opposed to drafting Kotkaniemi or Hayton at 3. I really like Vilardi, but seems very doubtful he's available at all. If LA was going to trade him for Pacioretty, it would have gone down at the TDL.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
1. I just see more upside in Borgstrom. Just a more dynamic offensive talent IMO. The fact he can step in next year is a big positive too, not a negative.

2. What?! Firstly I'm not advocating trading 3 for Borgstrom. Just stating I'd prefer that as opposed to drafting Kotkaniemi or Hayton at 3. I really like Vilardi, but seems very doubtful he's available at all. If LA was going to trade him for Pacioretty, it would have gone down at the TDL.

Who ever said Hayton at 3, wtf ?

You asked if we would trade Borgstrom for the 3rd... I'm asking you how that would make sense following your very own thoughts on trade values from just a few weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad