2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Brady Tkachuk is the solution guys. The kid is marketable. He’s a beast. He’s better than Zadina.

Brady’s can score, can pass, can deke, can skate, can hit, can fight, can taunt, can do everything. Seriously, the kid is our target boys and girls.

Don't think so. Zadina is better at almost everything except for skating and being big/physical.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
If Bergevin had any balls he would do Gallagher+3 for Hanifin+2. With his last year to impress, there is absolutely no chance he trades one of the only good forwards of an awful season.

i'd do that with Pacioretty instead of Gallagher, would probably be an easier sell too (assuming the Canes are high on Zadina, which would make sense)

start the season off with Svechnikov (replacing Patches) + Hanifin (LD to play w/ Weber) and pray that we sign Tavares

Galchenyuk - Tavares - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Drouin - Svechnikov
Hudon - Danault - Byron
Deslauriers/Carr - DLR/Shaw - DLR/Shaw

Hanifin - Weber
Mete - Petry
Schlemko - Juulsen
Reilly

(send Benn and Alzner to the salvation army)

bam ca sent la coupe

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank JT

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Compared to the NHL, every league is slow. The combination of elite skating and small ice surface make it impossible to find a comparable. However, it should be said that Jesperi was thriving in a league that is lightning quick compared to all junior leagues and the NCAA. I mean, compared to junior A leagues like BCHL, USHL, SuperElit, it's practically a different sport. He has to improve, but it's not really the case that he's a lumbering oaf who can't keep up with the play.

You watched Lavoie play.. similar skating?

brunosevigny

Jan 13, 2012
i'd do that with Pacioretty instead of Gallagher, would probably be an easier sell too (assuming the Canes are high on Zadina, which would make sense)

start the season off with Svechnikov (replacing Patches) + Hanifin (LD to play w/ Weber) and pray that we sign Tavares

Galchenyuk - Tavares - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Drouin - Svechnikov
Hudon - Danault - Byron
Deslauriers/Carr - DLR/Shaw - DLR/Shaw

Hanifin - Weber
Mete - Petry
Schlemko - Juulsen
Reilly

(send Benn and Alzner to the salvation army)

bam ca sent la coupe

Bringing Hanifin and trading up to 2OA would be my plan to..... but I think it would cost more than Pacioretty + 3OA.

I think it would cost something around Patches + 3OA + Goalie prospect (CAR choice of Lindgren/Mcniven/Primeau) + Good prospect Dman (Juulsen/Brooks/Fleury). Overpaiement but I think I would do it.....

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Bringing Hanifin and trading up to 2OA would be my plan to..... but I think it would cost more than Pacioretty + 3OA.

I think it would cost something around Patches + 3OA + Goalie prospect (CAR choice of Lindgren/Mcniven/Primeau) + Good prospect Dman (Juulsen/Brooks/Fleury). Overpaiement but I think I would do it.....

Overpayment indeed.

I'd be alright giving up a goalie prospect, and I'd even add a 2nd if need be (even if I want to keep those)

But not giving up one of the dmen you named, nope...

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
For the ''take BPA no matter the position, and make trades to fill needs'' crowd here, how do you imagine that working if we take one of the wingers (not Svechnikov)? Let's say we take Zadina and he becomes a 40-30 player. I don't think you're trading him. So, we're trading off the rest of our roster, which raises the further question of why haven't we done it already to address a decades old issue?

The other possibility is that Zadina becomes a less than special player in which case we're back in the same spot.

Reactions: Andrei79

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
For the ''take BPA no matter the position, and make trades to fill needs'' crowd here, how do you imagine that working if we take one of the wingers (not Svechnikov)? Let's say we take Zadina and he becomes a 40-30 player. I don't think you're trading him. So, we're trading off the rest of our roster, which raises the further question of why haven't we done it already to address a decades old issue?

The other possibility is that Zadina becomes a less than special player in which case we're back in the same spot.

On top of that. If you look around the league. The majority of top Centres were acquired through the draft. Only about 1/3 of them came to teams through trade or UFA.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Agreed.

I feel passing up on Kotkaniemi could be another Kopitar situation. At some point, when that level of skill at center is there, you go for it.

And for the "Zadina is the consensus no.3", Button just said what most of us who actually follow the prospects in the thread are saying: after Svechnikov, things aren't as clear. But, what do us computer scouts know.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
How come nobody talks about the Ryan Poehling - Brady Tkachuk connection and chemistry? They played well together at the WJC.

At 1:01. Shows his burst of speed from the defensive zone transitioning to the other's net for the goal. Excellent pass and play by Poehling.
I think it's real. They will take that in consideration.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
How come nobody talks about the Ryan Poehling - Brady Tkachuk connection and chemistry? They played well together at the WJC.

At 1:01. Shows his burst of speed from the defensive zone transitioning to the other's net for the goal. Excellent pass and play by Poehling.

Because there's no Poehling-Tkachuk connection.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Why do you guys think CSS ranked Brady Tkachuk in front of Zadina? There's a reason. It's very much possible in scouts eyes, who are professional, see a player that projects to be more impactful or more chances of being an impact player in the NHL. I'd be stoked with Brady Tkachuk 3rd overall. Very smart player, good stick handling, good vision, physical, good skating and good projected frame. Is gonna be extremely hard to play against and people will get sick of him being in their face. He's the prototypical Bruins player. He haven't had that in so long.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

Bah. I really don't think that will be considered.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Why do you guys think CSS ranked Brady Tkachuk in front of Zadina? There's a reason. It's very much possible in scouts eyes, who are professional, see a player that projects to be more impactful or more chances of being an impact player in the NHL. I'd be stoked with Brady Tkachuk 3rd overall. Very smart player, good stick handling, good vision, physical, good skating and good projected frame. Is gonna be extremely hard to play against and people will get sick of him being in their face. He's the prototypical Bruins player. He haven't had that in so long.
Nothing against Brady, but CSS is a joke, they didn't even rank Berggren who is likely a first rounder

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
By the way, I hope you guys understand me. I'm not trying to go against the consensus choice of Zadina for us. But, if you guys are so worried that Bergevin picks Tkachuk instead, its because Tkachuk must be doing something right. It's scary because it's Bergevin. But my point is that if Tkachuk really sucked, he wouldn't be even named in the top 15. He's a mix of rare size and skills and IQ. If he was playing center, these boards would be drooling right now. The next Getzlaf.

Reactions: Rozz

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

The prototypical Bruins player now is fast and skilled. They got rid of that image because it isn't effective in the NHL anymore.. unfortunately a lot of places don't consider that and are still stuck in archaic thinking.

Also your scouting report of Tkachuk is just dead wrong. If you say he's a good skater you've never actually seen him play because he's not. He's a flawed skater and he's not a goal scorer anymore than Andrew Shaw is a goal scorer.

We don't need to go over this a thousand times. Look at Brady's age vs Shane Bowers then look at Bowers production. You'll see why what he did isn't even impressive.. it's rather mundane. A midget defenseman almost out produced him. and for a "guy you win with" his worst games came in do or die games.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
By the way, I hope you guys understand me. I'm not trying to go against the consensus choice of Zadina for us. But, if you guys are so worried that Bergevin picks Tkachuk instead, its because Tkachuk must be doing something right. It's scary because it's Bergevin. But my point is that if Tkachuk really sucked, he wouldn't be even named in the top 15. He's a mix of rare size and skills and IQ. If he was playing center, these boards would be drooling right now. The next Getzlaf.
Yeah if he was a center I'd like him more, because a gritty two-way center >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> A gritty two-way winger.

Also, I don't agree with the consensus at #3 either. It's Dobson for me.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

Carolina doesn't need another dman.

Even without Hanifin, they've got Slavin, Pesce, Fleury, Bean, Faulk, etc

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
You can say what you want WTK but Brady is not slow. He's fast. Is Tavares slow? You want to tell me that Tavares wasn't worth drafting? Don't exaggerate Brady's skating when Zadina's skating is not the fastest in the world either. With Zadina, you don't have a fast winger. You have Kovalev type of skating. Tkachuk isn't of Svech's skating territory but he's not slow and he's skilled. Fast and skill. You get that with him. Tkachuk is a playmaker even more than a goalscorer. I get your argument with Bowers but it's two different types of player. I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to know that scouts crave players like Tkachuk. They see him contribute to the league in a different way than your typical goalscoring Zadina. Every draft, there's a Zadina. Doesn't mean they will pan out. Yakupov was a better goalscoring prospect than Zadina. Faster too.

2017: Owen Tippett
2016: Alex Nylander(very similar to Zadina)
2015: Pavel Zacha or Timo Meier
2014: Kerby Rychel?
2013: Galchenyuk or Forsberg(both better skaters than Zadina)

Zadina is good. Top prospect. But Tkachuk is also good and also a top prospect.
The Andrew Shaw's comparison is total bs. i don't buy it. Dunno why the hate or the false comparison for but Shaw is nowhere close to Tkachuk's skills. Be open minded. So you don't go on rage when Bergevin picks Brady Tkachuk. Because, either way, Zadina or him, I'd be happy with our selection. Heck, I'd be happy with Adam Boqvist too.

Last edited:

thedoubledown

May 24, 2018
How come nobody talks about the Ryan Poehling - Brady Tkachuk connection and chemistry? They played well together at the WJC

Brady started playing well at WJC when was matched with Mittelstadt not Poehling. Mittelstadt was the best player in the tournament. For Brady I do not believe he should be in the Top 6, IMO he is a sort of potential between 1rst and 2nd line forward. Average first line/great 2nd line. The reason he projects that way to me is he just hasn't scored enough at any level he has played to be really considered a Top line forward. I believe the best comparison is not with Wahlstrom but his brother Matthew and comparing their 2 seasons in the USNTDP 17 and 18 teams. Matthew was scoring a clip of 50% higher than Brady. For me Brady should be taken between 8 and 12.

Last edited:

thedoubledown

May 24, 2018
Question for you guys. Will say the Habs wanted to trade the #3 pick for other draft picks and let's say the #3 will be Zadina what is that worth? Is it worth Detroit's #6 and potential #31 (Vegas' pick)? NY Rangers #9 and #26 and/or #28? or NY Islanders #11 and #12? Which would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad