2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxCanadiensxX

Jan 8, 2013
How about this kid, Liam Kirk?
Liam Kirk
Kinda reminds me of Texier, a prospect who developed in an unconventional hockey country. Performed very well in the British Men's League as an 18-year old forward. Could be a cool gamble in the later rounds.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They still need some kind of justifications, don't you think ? Why do you think there's such a difference betweem the two ?

I don't think it's a huge gap but I had to put my two favorites on their own tier else it doesn't come across very well.

As far as why I have that difference, I think Wahlstrom has the same qualities that make Zadina great but is a better skater, better frame, has better hands and makes better passes to his teammates.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Curious to what people think? Who has more offensive ability at the NHL level? Tkachuk or Poehling?

I know some people would pass on Tkachuk. Personally, I only watched him at the world juniors where he made an impact as a 18 year old. Never saw one NCAA game. However, if Tkachuk’s potential is what we saw at the worlds, I would love to have him on our team! We need the Strength/Skill up front or this forward group is not winning any 7 game playoff battles!

The other guy I would take a shot at is Wise in the 2nd round. Poehling/Wise could be a good center combo down the road IMO. Wise is not a big center but he has the potential to be an offensive top 2 center. Worth the chance to take him with one of our 2nd round picks

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Curious to what people think? Who has more offensive ability at the NHL level? Tkachuk or Poehling?

I know some people would pass on Tkachuk. Personally, I only watched him at the world juniors where he made an impact as a 18 year old. Never saw one NCAA game. However, if Tkachuk’s potential is what we saw at the worlds, I would love to have him on our team! We need the Strength/Skill up front or this forward group is not winning any 7 game playoff battles!

The other guy I would take a shot at is Wise in the 2nd round. Poehling/Wise could be a good center combo down the road IMO. Wise is not a big center but he has the potential to be an offensive top 2 center. Worth the chance to take him with one of our 2nd round picks

Strictly between the two, Tkachuk and Poehling, I think Tkachuk has more potential to be an offensive force in the NHL. Basically, a bigger and stronger Gallagher and a similar play-style. He's not going to dangle around players and snap lasers from the top of the face-off circle, but he'll cycle and cause issues around the net.

That said, if size is a want, I'd take my chances in the second round for that. I want us to go pure skill in the first round, be it a winger or defenceman. A bigger body that should be there for our first second round pick is Dellandrea. He isn't the hulk, but he's a solid player and good frame. I like Wise also, but I prefer Dellandrea to him if both were available.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Strictly between the two, Tkachuk and Poehling, I think Tkachuk has more potential to be an offensive force in the NHL. Basically, a bigger and stronger Gallagher and a similar play-style. He's not going to dangle around players and snap lasers from the top of the face-off circle, but he's cycle and cause issues around the net.

That said, if size is a want, I'd take my chances in the second round for that. I want us to go pure skill in the first round, be it a winger or defenceman. A bigger body that should be there for our first second round pick is Dellandrea. He isn't the hulk, but he's a solid player and good frame. I like Wise also, but I prefer Dellandrea to him if both were available.

Tkachuk, Dellandrea, Wise.. I’d be very happy with those prospects with our first 3 picks. Totally possible! Trade Patch and maybe we can get a LD prospect as well in the first round! I’d dangle him for the Oilers pick. They might do it! Any prospect they pick this year is not likely ready for a few years and McDavid needs help now. Patch fits their needs IMO

I think I agree about Tkachuk. He has a bit more offensive ability vs Poehling. But Poehling is a responsible two way center so his offensive abilities are not in full display. It’s close. Having these two big bodies up front complements Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Scherbak, Lehkonen very well IMO. Then add Dellandrea & Wise and we have good balance of grit and skill IMO

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I’d say Tkachuk has higher offensive potential than Poehling. His playmaking ability is underrated. He can really thread the needle and do it quickly. Nice hands in tight. Poehling is a more predictable player and gets his points through effort and off rushes (he’s the faster player). Tkachuk’s production will depend more on his linemates. I’d say Poehling has 50 point upside (2C) and Tkachuk 60 (complimentary 1LW).

Reactions: dralaf

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Tkachuk, Dellandrea, Wise.. I’d be very happy with those prospects with our first 3 picks. Totally possible! Trade Patch and maybe we can get a LD prospect as well in the first round! I’d dangle him for the Oilers pick. They might do it! Any prospect they pick this year is not likely ready for a few years and McDavid needs help now. Patch fits their needs IMO

I think I agree about Tkachuk. He has a bit more offensive ability vs Poehling. But Poehling is a responsible two way center so his offensive abilities are not in full display. It’s close

Well, I'm not going to be thrilled if we pick Tkachuk first, but I suppose it won't be the worst thing ever. Still, I'd be bummed out if it meant leaving potentially Wahlstrom, Zadina, Boqvist or Hughes on the table.

Honestly, if we trade Patches for another pick, I would much rather draft Hughes (assume we pick around #6) and use the Patches' trade (say for a low-teen pick) to get Kotkaniemi or even Veleno. Better still, I would grab Wahlstrom with our pick and if we get a early-mid teens pick with Patches, get Ty Smith.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’d say Tkachuk has higher offensive potential than Poehling. His playmaking ability is underrated. He can really thread the needle and do it quickly. Nice hands in tight. Poehling is a more predictable player and gets his points through effort and off rushes (he’s the faster player). Tkachuk’s production will depend more on his linemates. I’d say Poehling has 50 point upside (2C) and Tkachuk 60 (complimentary 1LW).

I like the idea of having these two on our roster in a few years. It’s all about building a team that can win playoff battles. Still missing that elite center and PMD though

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well, I'm not going to be thrilled if we pick Tkachuk first, but I suppose it won't be the worst thing ever. Still, I'd be bummed out if it meant leaving potentially Wahlstrom, Zadina, Boqvist or Hughes on the table.

Honestly, if we trade Patches for another pick, I would much rather draft Hughes (assume we pick around #6) and use the Patches' trade (say for a low-teen pick) to get Kotkaniemi or even Veleno. Better still, I would grab Wahlstrom with our pick and if we get a early-mid teens pick with Patches, get Ty Smith.

Personally, I think we can’t go wrong if we take one of the top prospects typically ranked in the top 6. We got a 60% chance at getting the 5th or 6th pick.

I would love to trade Patch for another 1st.. 10-15 range ish. Not sure if Hughes or Smith are available then though.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Physicality is so overrated. We don't have the high end talent to take Tkachuk. LA Kings are a big bodied team and they looked absolutely gassed and ineffective against the Knights. Jets are also a big bodied team, but they are actually filled with high end talent.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I like the idea of having these two on our roster in a few years. It’s all about building a team that can win playoff battles. Still missing that elite center and PMD though

The Habs don’t really have the players to surround Tkachuk with to make him successful. He’s much better suited for a team like Edmonton.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Habs don’t really have the players to surround Tkachuk with to make him successful. He’s much better suited for a team like Edmonton.

Disagree. Drouin, Galchenyuk, Scherbak, Gallagher, Lehkonen are all young and will mature. There is talent there. Except for Gallagher, They lack strength

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Physicality is so overrated. We don't have the high end talent to take Tkachuk. LA Kings are a big bodied team and they looked absolutely gassed and ineffective against the Knights. Jets are also a big bodied team, but they are actually filled with high end talent.

Physicality is not overrated when our team needs it and the prospect also has offensive skills. These guys are no McCarron type projects

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I just can't imagine being in a draft discussion with professional scouts

We could take an elite goal scorer
An elite two way defenseman who plays a modern game

But nah let's take the physical guy who isn't a strong skater LULZ

Reactions: philipsson and Seb

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Physicality is not overrated when our team needs it and the prospect also has offensive skills. These guys are no McCarron type projects
Our team needs elite offensive talent far more than physicality. We didn't lose to the Rangers because we weren't physical enough, it's because we struggled to score over a 1 goal a game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
None of those guys are producing elite numbers. We need the guys who can produce the elite numbers before going into complimentary players.

Young players mature and the talent is there. Lack of puck pressure up front and depth at center plays a factor. But yeah, we don’t have any Crosby type talent. Why do you think the Pens traded for Hornqvist and traded Neal? They wanted someone who can be physical and has a bit of offense! Balance is important! That’s why our players struggled last year.. no puck movers at center and too many soft forwards

Take your pick at what our holes are... physical/talented forwards up front is one of them

Reactions: S Bah and dralaf

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Did the draftwired with the current picks we have

4 - Oliver Wahlstrom RW
35 - Rasmus Sandin D
38- Ty Dellandrea C
56- Cam Hillis C
57- Kirill Marchenko RW
66 - Milos Roman C
97- Ivan Muranov LW
102 - Nico Gross D
123- Kyle Topping C
128- Ryan O'Reilly C

Sandin in the second would be a coup.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Young players mature and the talent is there. Lack of puck pressure up front and depth at center plays a factor. But yeah, we don’t have any Crosby type talent. Why do you think the Pens traded for Hornqvist and traded Neil? They wanted someone who can be physical and has a bit of offense! Balance is important! That’s why our players struggled last year.. no puck movers at center and too many soft forwards
That trade isn't what got them cups. The Kessel trade was faaaaaaar more important because he actually produces elite numbers. I look at many other players before getting to Hornqvist when I look at the Pens biggest threats.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Our team needs elite offensive talent far more than physicality. We didn't lose to the Rangers because we weren't physical enough, it's because we struggled to score over a 1 goal a game.

No we lost to the Rangers cause Price let in too many soft goals killing our team momentum. And no talent at center. Teams always target big forwards with offenseive skills. Tkachuk fits!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That trade isn't what got them cups. The Kessel trade was faaaaaaar more important because he actually produces elite numbers. I look at many other players before getting to Hornqvist when I look at the Pens biggest threats.

Yes Kessel was a beast for them in the playoffs with his shot! Hornqvist was also important but his accomplishments don’t show up on the stats sheet most nights.

How was kessel with the Leafs? He was a soft player. Offensive talent is important. But complimenting these guys with a guy like Tkachuk is also important

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Hornqvist is a better fit for Crosby than Neal was because one stands in front of the net while the other is a sniper. Neal was better with Malkin anyways.

Kessel was the trade that pushed them over the hump because he's actually a very good player.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
No we lost to the Rangers cause Price let in too many soft goals killing our team momentum. And no talent at center. Teams always target big forwards with offenseive skills. Tkachuk fits!

You don't actually belive this do you?

Price had a 1.86 GAA and a .933 Sv%. The only thing he didn't do was score. Our offense couldn't score for shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad