Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Just watched Seer's highlights vid of Adam Scheel. Big goalie at 6'4. Quick feet and good down low coverage. Stays relatively deep. He holds his glove low like Woll which I don't like as Woll seems to get beat up high quite a bit. I think his positioning looks pretty solid as he seems to stay with the puck well but he really needs to work on rebound control.

Looking at his numbers he has done very well in Penticton. Style wise, he reminds me of Tyler Parsons. Could see the Leafs taking him as a project in the later rounds with his size.

Rodrigue still my Favourite at this point

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
1st choice/2nd choice

1st round: W - Gregori Denisenko / LD - Rasmus Sandin
2nd round: W - Vitali Kravtsov / C - Jack Drury
3rd round: C - Marcus Westfalt / C - Nathan Dunkley

Yes, I want two Russian wingers with our two first picks. Seeing how I doubt Denisenko will make it, I do very much want Sandin (or Alexeyev or Woo)

Kravtsov will be picked before Denisenko, and rightfully so.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What are people’s thoughts on Calen Addison?

mynhldraft.com has us picking him in their mock.

He kinda reminds me of Samuel Girard, who I wanted as well

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Just watched Seer's highlights vid of Adam Scheel. Big goalie at 6'4. Quick feet and good down low coverage. Stays relatively deep. He holds his glove low like Woll which I don't like as Woll seems to get beat up high quite a bit. I think his positioning looks pretty solid as he seems to stay with the puck well but he really needs to work on rebound control.

Looking at his numbers he has done very well in Penticton. Style wise, he reminds me of Tyler Parsons. Could see the Leafs taking him as a project in the later rounds with his size.

Rodrigue still my Favourite at this point

Him, Jared Moe and Ty Taylor were the ones I thought were worth the Leafs drafting in the late rounds. All are OA's though, because this year seems like a weak draft for goalies.

Not sold on Rodrigue. but you know a lot more about goalies than I do probably. Besides, Leafs do not seem like huge fans of smaller goalies, especially earlier on. Seem to prefer larger guys they can develop, like Scott and Woll.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Because he's already playing in the KHL? I mean, he scored a wining goal in OT in the 1st KHL playoff game today. Denisenko, while flashy, isn't even close to being a KHL regular right now.

I don't know what we're arguing. I'm not saying I don't like Kravtsov almost as much as Denisenko, I'm saying at the moment he's lower rated, and in the 2nd round at the moment.

I think he's a steal there, and hope he stays there.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Any chance we get Wilde, or is he even a solid pick for us?

if not these are my guys for roughly our spots

1st Rasmus Kupari (C)/ Mattias Samuelsson (D)/ Calen Addison (D)
2nd Igor Sokolov (LW)/Damien Giroux (LW)/ Sean Durzi (D)
3rd Alec Regula (D)/ Ryan Savage (RW)/ Cameron Hillis (C)
4th Jordan Kooy (G)/ Oscar Back (C)/ Riley Damiani (C)
5th Albert Michnac (LW)/ Merrick RIppon (D)/ Pavel Gogylev (RW)
7th rounders: David Levin (LW)/ Jacob Ingham (G)/ Samuel Salonen (RW)/ fallers

Reactions: LDN

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Him, Jared Moe and Ty Taylor were the ones I thought were worth the Leafs drafting in the late rounds. All are OA's though, because this year seems like a weak draft for goalies.

Not sold on Rodrigue. but you know a lot more about goalies than I do probably. Besides, Leafs do not seem like huge fans of smaller goalies, especially earlier on. Seem to prefer larger guys they can develop, like Scott and Woll.

I'm not that concerned with his size. He's listed at 6'1 which I don't consider small. Quick and Lundqvist are 6'1 and guys like Schneider, Rask and many others are 6'2 So I don't see how an inch in height is a big deal. It's economy of movement and positioning that is important. From what I have seen he always seems to be where the puck is and is square.

Babcock doesn't seem to care for smaller goalies so they might not even look at him but there is always a chance he can grow an inch or two in the next year or so.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
The guy I really want, but won't be available where we pick is Noah Dobson. 6'3 RHD who can do it all.He has a great two-way game is I would say is probably the D in the draft (not named Dahlin, who is obviously NHL ready) with the best chance of quickly stepping into the NHL, because of his poise and solid two-way play.

If he is on the board at #10 or so, I would look at trading up for him. The price to pay to move up higher to nab him is likely too high, but to me is worth the extra asset or two to move up to #10 to get him if he is on the board.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The guy I really want, but won't be available where we pick is Noah Dobson. 6'3 RHD who can do it all.He has a great two-way game is I would say is probably the D in the draft (not named Dahlin, who is obviously NHL ready) with the best chance of quickly stepping into the NHL, because of his poise and solid two-way play.

If he is on the board at #10 or so, I would look at trading up for him. The price to pay to move up higher to nab him is likely too high, but to me is worth the extra asset or two to move up to #10 to get him if he is on the board.

93Leafs sold me on him and i've promptly watched him rise on the draft board to the point that I don't think we have a hope in hell of getting him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm not that concerned with his size. He's listed at 6'1 which I don't consider small. Quick and Lundqvist are 6'1 and guys like Schneider, Rask and many others are 6'2 So I don't see how an inch in height is a big deal. It's economy of movement and positioning that is important. From what I have seen he always seems to be where the puck is and is square.

Babcock doesn't seem to care for smaller goalies so they might not even look at him but there is always a chance he can grow an inch or two in the next year or so.

Elite prospects says he's 6'0" and 160lbs or so. I guess my concern is there seems to be a trend against smaller goalies making it recently. I mean if some small guys are going to find a way to make it, but you have to find a really refined technical and athletic goalie at a young age to make up for the size. They need to be really special.

Probably would just skip drafting a goalie this year completely, or look at some guys with our 5th or 7ths. And if I'm looking at a sub 6'3 goalie from the CHL, I think Jordan Kooy would be my first choice still. Had a rough start at the beginning of the year when London sucked, but he looks like the type of guy who is going to make the NHL. Mentally tough, very skilled and refined for his age, and I think he could explode as soon as next year.

Knocks on him is he's "only" 6'1 and less than 170lbs, will have to compete for a starting job in London next year and could not take the starting job this year after a poor start and I guess there are some places he needs to refine that I can't think of right now. I watched him last year and he looked like a top goalie as a rookie so there wasn't much. If he's there in the 5th or later, I'd consider giving him a shot despite everything else.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
anyone seen Jacob Olofsson? seems to be rated around our spot, big bodied C will he stick at C?. 0.5PPG in the Allvenskan is nothing to sneeze at for a 18 year old especially at the back end of the 1st round

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There doesn't seem to be much consensus at all for the upcoming draft, sure at the top there is, but some guys are top ten in some lists and in the twenties on others.

2018 NHL Draft Rankings

Jesperi Kotkaniemi is a still a guy who I hope might drop to us, or we move forward. Big C, putting up good numbers.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I hate that the prospects I fall in love with prior to everyone knowing about them end up rising. Outside of Denisenko who was brought up by 93Leafs and who could still fall to us (or be at the pick regardless), I was high on Noah Dobson before he started a rise in to the top 5-10. We have the assets, but I don't know if the Leafs would trade up. 6'3, mobile D with good offensive instincts and can move the puck. Gets the puck on net at a ridiculous rate as well (look at his SOG totals so far).

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
I really don't see Kotkaniemi going top 10 but with there being very few elite C's in this draft, a team addressing needs could easily take him early......same thing with Akil Thomas.

I find this draft much harder to predict than last year.....at least until the U18's but even then, it might just make things even more cloudy.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
I also don't like my boy Jay O'Brien in the top 31. I was hoping with such limited views wirh the USDTP that we could snag him without worry in the second rounds. He showed well in the All American prospects game and put up steller numbers in the last month of Thayer's season. I think he was hitting at 3.8 PPG in the end of the season.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
I still think we need to find a way to get Sandin.

I do like the fact that that Merkley is one of the youngest players in the draft. Time to grow both physically and for him to mature. Look at Filip Chytl last season. I Was on the Chytl train very early on and a lot of it had to do with his birthday. During his draft season he was 5'11" but by the end of the summer, he is sitting at 6'2".

Seeing Merkley's trouble on and off thr ice. If he is on the board....would we pass him up? Im not sure if we could but many other teams before us will be answering the same questions.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
I do like the fact that that Merkley is one of the youngest players in the draft. Time to grow both physically and for him to mature. Look at Filip Chytl last season. I Was on the Chytl train very early on and a lot of it had to do with his birthday. During his draft season he was 5'11" but by the end of the summer, he is sitting at 6'2".

Seeing Merkley's trouble on and off thr ice. If he is on the board....would we pass him up? Im not sure if we could but many other teams before us will be answering the same questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad