Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If we take Jay O'Brien it will likely be in the 1st round. Its not likely he'll even be on the board for our pick in the 50's.

Also, considering how big a deal was made about not taking McLeod in the recent Mirtle piece due to revamped draft strategy by Dubas, I can't see us taking O'Brien that high.

Unless the draft strategy now is more about "off the board picks". I wouldn't mind O'Brien at 25 if that's who they were to target though.

What comparable to McLeod though do think would keep them away, late birthday?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Unless the draft strategy now is more about "off the board picks". I wouldn't mind O'Brien at 25 if that's who they were to target though.

What comparable to McLeod though do think would keep them away, late birthday?

I kinda chuckled at the though of Kyle Dubas walking into the scouting meeting, ripping up a copy of the draft list Hunter left, and yelling "WE'RE GOING OFF THE BOARD"

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So he may potentially go in the first round? Interesting. This draft is all over the place! Anyway, I hope he falls a bit. Sounds like a good C selection for the 2nd round and later.

I have Jay O'Brien going somewhere in the 40's. While @93LEAFS is correct in saying he likely won't be around by the time we are OTC in the 2nd, I wouldn't go as far as saying O'Brien has a chance at going in the first round.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have Jay O'Brien going somewhere in the 40's. While @93LEAFS is correct in saying he likely won't be around by the time we are OTC in the 2nd, I wouldn't go as far as saying O'Brien has a chance at going in the first round.
There are teams that have a 1st round grade on O’Brien. Now for a player to realistically be drafted by an NHL team in the late first he needs a top 23 or so grade.

For example last year, I could have gotten I guy I had top 20 at 31.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There are teams that have a 1st round grade on O’Brien. Now for a player to realistically be drafted by an NHL team in the late first he needs a top 23 or so grade.

For example last year, I could have gotten I guy I had top 20 at 31.

Kostin was interesting. I think most people had him in their top 20's, but clearly there was something that paid scouts saw or knew over us draft fanatics.

However, O'Brien isn't a comparable. I wouldn't doubt that some individual scouts, and even a couple of teams overall had him ranked in the very late first round, but in large part, I expect he'll be an early to mid 2nd round pick.

HC7

May 2, 2018
So he may potentially go in the first round? Interesting. This draft is all over the place! Anyway, I hope he falls a bit. Sounds like a good C selection for the 2nd round and later.

He's not going in the 1st round lol... That guy has no idea what he's talking about.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kostin was interesting. I think most people had him in their top 20's, but clearly there was something that paid scouts saw or knew over us draft fanatics.

However, O'Brien isn't a comparable. I wouldn't doubt that some individual scouts, and even a couple of teams overall had him ranked in the very late first round, but in large part, I expect he'll be an early to mid 2nd round pick.
He's in that 25 to 45 range. So, while its more likely he goes in the 2nd, late 1st wouldn't surprise me at all. There are supposed to be teams that love him out there.

I was just using Kostin as a general point. That in most cases, even when you are picking at 31 or something, generally someone around 20 for an individual team is still on the board. Its the reason why teams tend to only rank 100 prospects who they have atleast 20 or so full game reports on. From the players teams have deemed draftable (which is the 100 give or take a couple they have ranked), teams almost never run out of names, as no teams have the exact same 100, and they can vary dramatically.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It still seems to me like the obvious choice is to trade down unless someone who wasn't expected to be at our pick is available.

We are all talking about 10 or so guys who could be taken at 25 or could be available in the early to mid second round who are all very good options. I'd rather get two of them than take a wild guess that one of them may be better than the others, especially since we are lacking in young prospects right now.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Trading down does look like a good and even an obvious option. The trouble i.s that the teams who presently have two second round picks might also think that two slightly lower picks might be better than pick 25. It may be harder to negotiate than sone other years.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Trading down does look like a good and even an obvious option. The trouble i.s that the teams who presently have two second round picks might also think that two slightly lower picks might be better than pick 25. It may be harder to negotiate than sone other years.

Perhaps, but usually there is one team that likes someone enough, or fits their philosophy better. There are some guys who most teams probably have in the late 20's that we may not, including McLeod.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If I had to guess who we picked right now (not who I would pick), my guess would be Akil Thomas.

I'm pretty much resigned we are going to pass on some of the guys I like at 25 (Mattias Samuelsson being the obvious one).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I still think a trade down with Detroit is a very likely option.

They’ll have 30/31, 33 and 36.

If someone is on the board at 25 that they like, it seems like a pretty easy swap

Reactions: LeafChief

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If I had to guess who we picked right now (not who I would pick), my guess would be Akil Thomas.

I'm pretty much resigned we are going to pass on some of the guys I like at 25 (Mattias Samuelsson being the obvious one).

I'm going with Sandin

If Dubas has some doubts about the Hunter lead scouting I think he's going to lean towards someone he's got a strong connection to and that's Sandin out of the Soo

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'm going with Sandin

If Dubas has some doubts about the Hunter lead scouting I think he's going to lean towards someone he's got a strong connection to and that's Sandin out of the Soo

Unless he has guys feeding him scouting reports from there or he scouted there a lot, he knows nothing more about Sandin than anyone else. Sandin was no where near the organization when Dubas was there.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Unless he has guys feeding him scouting reports from there or he scouted there a lot, he knows nothing more about Sandin than anyone else. Sandin was no where near the organization when Dubas was there.

Dubas still has deep ties to the Soo and a lot of the guys he had contact with there have been rumoured as potential Leafs hires

Of course he's going to have a strong idea on Sandin

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

I'd be fine with Thomas, I kind of feel he'll be gone by 25 though.

Who are your top 5 guys for that that spot? Who could reasonably be there.

I like the idea of trading back with Detroit. Keeps us in the 1st round and gets a high 2nd.

Does Detroit though?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd be fine with Thomas, I kind of feel he'll be gone by 25 though.

Who are your top 5 guys for that that spot? Who could reasonably be there.
Not thinking too hard. Denisenko, M. Samuelsson, Miller, Lundkvist, and Kravtsov. Probably dreaming on Kravtsov.
Dubas still has deep ties to the Soo and a lot of the guys he had contact with there have been rumoured as potential Leafs hires

Of course he's going to have a strong idea on Sandin
I would think they lean Thomas in that situation. His numbers translate pretty well. I could also see Dubas heavily relying on the Euro's if he doesn't trust Hofford (he's likely gone by the draft, he's a dead man walking with no reason not to leak stuff), Paliafito and Lilley.

The longer we don't name an internal promotion for Director of Scouting, the more I think its someone outside the organization (with money on Wes Clark).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not thinking too hard. Denisenko, M. Samuelsson, Miller, Lundkvist, and Kravtsov. Probably dreaming on Kravtsov.

I would think they lean Thomas in that situation. His numbers translate pretty well. I could also see Dubas heavily relying on the Euro's if he doesn't trust Hofford (he's likely gone by the draft, he's a dead man walking with no reason not to leak stuff), Paliafito and Lilley.

The longer we don't name an internal promotion for Director of Scouting, the more I think its someone outside the organization (with money on Wes Clark).

I thought there was some smoke around Speltz?

Sandin was almost a PPG in the Soo which is pretty impressive (even if the team was stacked) and I think his numbers stack up pretty well for a mid/late 20's pick defenseman with excellent passing skills

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I thought there was some smoke around Speltz?

Sandin was almost a PPG in the Soo which is pretty impressive (even if the team was stacked) and I think his numbers stack up pretty well for a mid/late 20's pick defenseman with excellent passing skills
There is, as he's Babs buddy. If Speltz gets the job, its pretty reflective of the level of pull Babs has in the organization. But, the I would think if they don't internally promote this week, it will be an outside candidate.

While I have certain ground rules for defenceman that are acceptable to draft. I really don't weight defenseman's offensive numbers too heavy. The top is such a mixed bag that I don't focus as heavily on them as forwards. Yes, guys like Doughty and Pietrangelo grade out well, but so do Merkley, DeAngelo, Ryan Murphy and Del Zoto. I'm not against Sandin, but he's not a guy I'm hoping for. Personally, I'd take M. Samuelsson, but considering what was said about Ryan McLeod and our draft board, I think he's a pipe dream at this point. I'm just praying they don't draft Merkley.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
There is, as he's Babs buddy. If Speltz gets the job, its pretty reflective of the level of pull Babs has in the organization. But, the I would think if they don't internally promote this week, it will be an outside candidate.

While I have certain ground rules for defenceman that are acceptable to draft. I really don't weight defenseman's offensive numbers too heavy. The top is such a mixed bag that I don't focus as heavily on them as forwards. Yes, guys like Doughty and Pietrangelo grade out well, but so do Merkley, DeAngelo, Ryan Murphy and Del Zoto. I'm not against Sandin, but he's not a guy I'm hoping for. Personally, I'd take M. Samuelsson, but considering what was said about Ryan McLeod and our draft board, I think he's a pipe dream at this point. I'm just praying they don't draft Merkley.

I'm not sure that Dubas is going to name a new head amateur scout before the draft no matter who it is

He does sound very particular about what he's looking for and even if he goes with an internal candidate he may not bother before his first big draft

Sandin has a pretty good tool set if your looking for a 2way puck mover

I'm a bit worried about his first step and top end speed but his passing, all around defensive play and good edge work are decent starting points

I'd give up on Samuelsson if I was you to, if McLeod is to low ceiling he's not getting a look in imo

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm not sure that Dubas is going to name a new head amateur scout before the draft no matter who it is

He does sound very particular about what he's looking for and even if he goes with an internal candidate he may not bother before his first big draft

I'm a bit worried about his first step and top end speed but his passing, all around defensive play and good edge work are decent starting points

I'd give up on Samuelsson if I was you to, if McLeod is to low ceiling he's not getting a look in imo
I think if its internal, they will do what they did with Pridham, so it should be announced soon. If Dubas is dead set on bringing Clark and Carniero in, I hope he sends them to pro-scouting. Which is basically the NHL equivalent of Canadian Senate, a good check for doing very little.

I'm fine with Sandin, but he's not a guy I really want. The biggest hole in our D-core is a shutdown guy with a solid all-around game. Maybe Dermott can turn into that, but its quite lacking. Now, I don't want us to recklessly draft low-upside guys who can't produce, but I do think Samuelsson is the best of both worlds. Although, I fully expect him to have a 2nd round grade for us at this point.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Where did you guys read this comment about upside? If they are targeting upside then it's probably going to come down to one of the Russians (Denisenko, Kravtsov), Miller, Noel, Bokk, or Tychonick.

I was hoping to trade down for a couple of picks in the 30-45 range to take Dellandrea + Berggren but not sure where they fall on the upside spectrum.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

I also like Mattias Samuelsson at #25, but I think you are right, he doesn't seem like a Dubas pick.
But...K'Andre Miller, with his upside and raw tools, could be a guy that I also really like, that might be more in line with what Dubas will be looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce