GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Who do the Canucks choose: Dobson or Boqvist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Impressive play, and play on a whole this season. Kids got elite potential.

With this clubs lottery luck, he might be the closest we get to that all elusive prototypical big skilled number one centre. We should be in a position to draft him.

Dahlen-Kotkaniemi-Pettersson
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Granlund-Gaudette-Lockwood

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
With this clubs lottery luck, he might be the closest we get to that all elusive prototypical big skilled number one centre. We should be in a position to draft him.

Dahlen-Kotkaniemi-Pettersson
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Granlund-Gaudette-Lockwood

Knowing our management group, they're probably going to target a defenseman again regardless of who is available. "We're like set down the middle you know with Horvat, Pettersson, and Gaudette, and uh we have like Boeser, Virtanen, Baertschi, Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Goldobin, and Lockwood on the wings who are real good."

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Knowing our management group, they're probably going to target a defenseman again regardless of who is available. "We're like set down the middle you know with the Horvats, Petterssons, and Gaudettes, and uh we have like Boesers, Virtanens, Baertschis, Linds, Dahlens, Gadjovichs, Goldobins, and Lockwoods on the wings who are real good."

But they also have Stechers and Huttons and Gudbransons and Juolevis and Chatfields and Breeze-bwahs and Pouliots and Rathbones on defense!!

I agree with the general sentiment of BPA. But if there is a tie between a defenseman and forward (especially a winger), and they're picking in the 8-12 range rather than top-5...I might lean towards picking a D. But only if it's a Sergachev vs Jost situation where the defenseman legitimately fits an organizational need now and in the future and is genuinely in consideration for BPA.

Reactions: Weast

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Knowing our management group, they're probably going to target a defenseman again regardless of who is available. "We're like set down the middle you know with Horvat, Pettersson, and Gaudette, and uh we have like Boeser, Virtanen, Baertschi, Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Goldobin, and Lockwood on the wings who are real good."

If you want a high-end puck-moving, powerplay type Defenseman this is the draft to get one.

Adam Boqvist
Bode Wilde
Quniton Hughes
Ty Smith
Ryan Merkley

But if Kotkaniemi is available when we draft I would be sprinting to the podium. Having two horses down the middle is invaluable.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
If you want a high-end puck-moving, powerplay type Defenseman this is the draft to get one.

Adam Boqvist
Bode Wilde
Quniton Hughes
Ty Smith
Ryan Merkley

But if Kotkaniemi is available when we draft I would be sprinting to the podium. Having two horses down the middle is invaluable.
I'm well aware there are plenty of d-men projected to go in the 1st round, especially in the first half of it. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they reached to fill a positional need again.

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
Great vid on Lundestrom by Feebster.

I liked what I saw when he played Vaxjo. Strong, powerful build, with nice skating and hands. Had a gorgeous snipe in the game.

If you can give your thoughts on Jacob Olofsson that would be great as well. Really like him as a player.

This draft has a lot of nice Swedish talent.

Adam Boqvist
Isac Lundestrom
Jacob Olofsson
Filip Hallander
Jonatan Berggren
David lilja

Wish I could but I rarely follow Allsvenskan games so I haven't watched him play. However, the age difference between him and Lundestrom is only 3 months so with that in mind L's way ahead in development, already being an established SHL player. But naturally these things can change as they mature. Olofsson at least seems to have enough talent for a 1st round pick.

BTW, Canucks Pro Scout Lars Lindgren should have no problem assessing these two, him being from the same area. He's probably seen them tons of times both on and off ice.

Reactions: Knight53

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Adam Boqvist
Bode Wilde
Quniton Hughes
Ty Smith
Ryan Merkley

Evan Bouchard as well.

2018 1st looks like it will be super heavy with Defensemen.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Great vid on Lundestrom by Feebster.

I liked what I saw when he played Vaxjo. Strong, powerful build, with nice skating and hands. Had a gorgeous snipe in the game.

If you can give your thoughts on Jacob Olofsson that would be great as well. Really like him as a player.

This draft has a lot of nice Swedish talent.

Adam Boqvist
Isac Lundestrom
Jacob Olofsson
Filip Hallander
Jonatan Berggren
David lilja
Thanks for reposting!

I would say Olofsson was the 2nd best 2018 draft eligible forward at the U18s (my main source of comparison; David Gustafsson i think also showed some good flashes in limited playing time, but maybe a later round kind of a pick). To me, I see Lundestrom as the closer to developed player whereas Olofsson is a bit more raw but has more potential. He looks taller on the ice, but lanky and rangy in the way he moves around the ice. Has more skill and flash than Lundestrom. I thought he created more chances than others on an offensively incompetent Swedish team.

Purely style wise comparison, i see Lundestrom as a Landeskog type of player and Olofsson as a Rantanen type of player.

Isn't is absolutely mindboggling that ISS doesn't have him in their top 31? I get their monthly emails, opened it at work today, searching for Kotkaniemi... lol no where to be found, what in da hell. Each year they show how much their rankings lag behind others.

Reactions: Knight53

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Isn't is absolutely mindboggling that ISS doesn't have him in their top 31? I get their monthly emails, opened it at work today, searching for Kotkaniemi... lol no where to be found, what in da hell. Each year they show how much their rankings lag behind others.

Was surprised by this as well but i guess they havent seen him much.

Draftin Europe actually has him as the #2 right behind Dahlin (listing only players in Europe)
https://www.draftineu.com/2017/10/2018-draft-october-top-20.html/

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I want Wahlstrom. This kid is a Patty Kane level talent, as a *potential natural Center. This is a franchise player imo.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Haven't paid too much attention to this draft crop yet, but my early feeling is that this is no longer the Dahlin-Svechnikov draft. I would be more inclined to call this the Dahlin-Zadina draft.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
Haven't paid too much attention to this draft crop yet, but my early feeling is that this is no longer the Dahlin-Svechnikov draft. I would be more inclined to call this the Dahlin-Zadina draft.
Once Svechnikov comes back from his hand injury he’s gonna make this his draft. Plus he’ll gain hype eating up the OHL as well

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Once Svechnikov comes back from his hand injury he’s gonna make this his draft. Plus he’ll gain hype eating up the OHL as well

He wasn't really dominating as much as I expected, though maybe that's my own fault for having such high expectations but that was based on how well he played in the USHL last year.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I want Wahlstrom. This kid is a Patty Kane level talent, as a natural Center. This is a franchise player imo.

His only downside is he is going to Harvard
The appeal for him to finish his degree is very large, because he clearly choose the education over other hockey programs as Ivy League schools don't offer scholarships.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I want Wahlstrom. This kid is a Patty Kane level talent, as a natural Center. This is a franchise player imo.

This kid is awesome! Definitely tops on my C list and I don't think anybody is going to dethrone him. I have to admit that I haven't put as much time in scouting these prospects as I have the last couple of years but so far from what I've seen is this is a great draft!

I honestly don't think Benning (if still in charge) can f*** up the 1st round pick! The top 10 this year is looking very solid.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
If we somehow wind up with Jett Woo and Nando Eggenberger I would consider that a pretty good day.

A Woo-Eggenberger day would be a memorable one for me I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia