Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This draft is looking deep and good.

We already have two second's. If we could pick up another 1st by trading Green, and have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, that would go a long way in ramping up this re-build.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
"We're going to get a little bit more of an emphasis on higher-end skill, maybe get a little bit riskier in the forward position"
- Tyler Wright
This personally excites the hell out of me. When Wright/Holland put an emphasis on something they go all out with it. 2017 draft it was size. 9-11 picks were 6'2+. 2018 draft looks great, we are going for skill which can also mean skilled defensemen like Hughes or Boqvist. Maybe take a guy like Wahlstrom if we have two 1st rounders.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I've noticed that Tanknation has the 2018 mock draft up, And they've us taking Quinton Hughes with their #7OA pick i wouldn't mind that if he can't get either Dahlin or Svechnikov.

Hughes is a quality prospect for sure, but there is a hell of a lot of hockey to be played (and development to be done) between now and draft day. He might be a steal at 7 or he might be a major reach. Either way, it is far too early to tell.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
This draft is looking deep and good.

We already have two second's. If we could pick up another 1st by trading Green, and have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, that would go a long way in ramping up this re-build.

I've never paid much attention to drafts before this year and I have to say next year looks really exciting even if we don't get to pick top 2. Personally hoping both Green and Tatar have great years and are traded at the TDL for those extra picks (1st and 2nd maybe). That would make me happy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hughes is a quality prospect for sure, but there is a hell of a lot of hockey to be played (and development to be done) between now and draft day. He might be a steal at 7 or he might be a major reach. Either way, it is far too early to tell.

Yeah, but there's a lot of quality defensive prospects at the top of this draft. It's definitely encouraging.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yeah, but there's a lot of quality defensive prospects at the top of this draft. It's definitely encouraging.

I couldn't agree more. I think the strength of the first will be the defensemen. I can't say now, however, how they will be ranked after Dahlin.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
More Boqvist
giphy.gif

TNigs

60 mins of Hell
Jul 29, 2012
Hockeytown
The dmen at the top of the 2018 draft all look intriguing. IMO the Wings need to go defense first this year. They need that true #1, they make everybody on the ice look better.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Boqvist looks like a talented kid, with little strength. His wrist shot looks forced, yet accurate. He's also undersized with questionable defensive awareness.

That said, if you get him you're banking on him getting bigger(weight, mostly), thats a decent bet.

That said, at this point I would not take him in the top 20.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Boqvist looks like a talented kid, with little strength. His wrist shot looks forced, yet accurate. He's also undersized with questionable defensive awareness.

That said, if you get him you're banking on him getting bigger(weight, mostly), thats a decent bet.

That said, at this point I would not take him in the top 20.

As of today, I can't name 20 players that I would take ahead of Boqvist. I think he is pretty easily one of the four or five most skilled defensemen available in this draft. From my limited viewings I agree that he needs to get better defensively.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Lots of good options... Dahlin, Woo, Wilde, Hughes, Merkley, Boqvist, McIsaac... This Nico Gross kid is coming over from Switzerland to play in the OHL, too.

This it the type of defenseman draft we have been waiting for.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Lots of good options... Dahlin, Woo, Wilde, Hughes, Merkley, Boqvist, McIsaac... This Nico Gross kid is coming over from Switzerland to play in the OHL, too.

This it the type of defenseman draft we have been waiting for.

I honestly expect it to be the kind of thing where we look back in 5 years and say "how the hell did that guy get picked 12th overall? He's that team's best defenseman!" but then you look at 1-11 and say "yeah actually that makes sense. That draft was ridiculous." There's just so many D that even a year out look like they have solid top pairing potential. Every time I think I've heard of them all I find someone else with tons of talent.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I honestly expect it to be the kind of thing where we look back in 5 years and say "how the hell did that guy get picked 12th overall? He's that team's best defenseman!" but then you look at 1-11 and say "yeah actually that makes sense. That draft was ridiculous." There's just so many D that even a year out look like they have solid top pairing potential. Every time I think I've heard of them all I find someone else with tons of talent.

Yeah, I mean I totally forgot Ty Smith in that post, who some people consider to be top 5 or top 10....

It's unreal :yo:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yeah, I mean I totally forgot Ty Smith in that post, who some people consider to be top 5 or top 10....

It's unreal :yo:

All the more reason to focus on accumulating as many first and second round picks as possible this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad