Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
More I watch Dobson, the more I like him. He's probably my #2 defenseman behind Bouchard.

(well, Dahlin notwithstanding)

EDIT: and Wahlstrom is my pick as well, other than the top 2.
Something tells me that Dobson could be the guy that quietly ends up being the best of the bunch, although it's fun to see so many good candidates to choose from.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Something tells me that Dobson could be the guy that quietly ends up being the best of the bunch, although it's fun to see so many good candidates to choose from.

I would agree outside of Dahlin and Boqvist I think Dobson could end up being the best out of the bunch.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Can someone please explain to me more about Dahlin? All the highlights I see are just a few marvelous dangles he's done.

I'm not trying to rip on the guy, I'm just interested in how he compares production wise to guys like Karlsson and Hedman in Sweden.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Can someone please explain to me more about Dahlin? All the highlights I see are just a few marvelous dangles he's done.

I'm not trying to rip on the guy, I'm just interested in how he compares production wise to guys like Karlsson and Hedman in Sweden.

His stats are way better than Karlsson's and comparable to Hedman's, but they honestly don't capture what's special about him despite being very good for a kid his age in the SHL. He does everything well and is elite at many facets of the game. His puck skills are unbelievable. He distributes the puck well. He can skate, and is actually very good defensively. He's not an offensive defenseman; he's a true two-way defenseman that's elite offensively. The only area of his game I'm not blown away by is his shot which is still good. My favorite comparable I've seen is Pavel Datsyuk that plays defense. He's wiley, shifty, and evasive while also being responsible.

Reactions: mantha39

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
His stats are way better than Karlsson's and comparable to Hedman's, but they honestly don't capture what's special about him despite being very good for a kid his age in the SHL. He does everything well and is elite at many facets of the game. His puck skills are unbelievable. He distributes the puck well. He can skate, and is actually very good defensively. He's not an offensive defenseman; he's a true two-way defenseman that's elite offensively. The only area of his game I'm not blown away by is his shot which is still good. My favorite comparable I've seen is Pavel Datsyuk that plays defense. He's wiley, shifty, and evasive while also being responsible.

Interesting. That's a pretty enticing description

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015

Love watching him in the defensive zone, great break-outs, great along the boards and a very active stick.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
The chances for the lottery may change according to Friedman (not by much):
31 THOUGHTS
1. The NHL has submitted to the NHLPA a revised Draft Lottery odds system for 2018. In 2016-17, the 30th-place team had an 18 per cent chance. If approved, whoever finishes 31st would be at 18.5 per cent. It was 20 prior to 2017.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Brady Tkachuk and Quinn Hughes are about to be on ESPN2 at 4 PM EST for the Michigan v BU Northeast Regional Final. Our prospect Kotkansalo also playing in the game for anyone interested.

Reactions: Frk It

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Anyone else think we use our two second round picks to move up?

Or maybe dangle AA’s rights and 35thish overall to move into the teens. I think there will be a couple fallers in the mid teens.
There's zero reason to move AA right now.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
There's zero reason to move AA right now.

100% dependent on the possible package, but thanks for acting liking there is anything close to a definitive choice regarding a player who already has been a hassle to re-sign and almost assuredly ask for more than he’s worth.

Good teams make good moves before they have to. Reactionary mindset from 2009-2016 is why the Wings are terrible.

Reactions: TheMule93

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
100% dependent on the possible package, but thanks for acting liking there is anything close to a definitive choice regarding a player who already has been a hassle to re-sign and almost assuredly ask for more than he’s worth.

Good teams make good moves before they have to. Reactionary mindset from 2009-2016 is why the Wings are terrible.

Moving a player because of a contract holdout from a season ago or because his agent may be stubborn again this coming offseason is the definition of reactionary.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Moving a player because of a contract holdout from a season ago or because his agent may be stubborn again this coming offseason is the definition of reactionary.

Actually, it’s objectively not, but I’d be happy to get you a dictionary.

Given AA’s frequent disappearing acts, it can be argued that it’s proactive to sell when teams are still wowed by the highlight goals instead of seeing his actual impact. And again, this was all contingent on possible return, not the presumptious situation you’re implying. Exploring possibilities is NEVER a bad thing, you think most GMs thought Taylor Hall could be had for Adam Larsson?

Wrong on three points in one sentence. Ouch

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Anyone else think we use our two second round picks to move up?

Or maybe dangle AA’s rights and 35thish overall to move into the teens. I think there will be a couple fallers in the mid teens.
I would imagine that the Vegas 1st #28+Ottawa 2nd #35 should net us the #13 overall pick i believe that's Calgary or the Isles pick from Calgary that might not be a bad pick to look at.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I have a sneaky feeling that Quinn Hughs will drop due to size concerns. If it does, and if Holland is still GM, you can bet it will be considered
That could be a possibility that maybe some of the GMs shy away from Quinton Hughes due to his size factor, But i still think he easily goes top 10 can't see any reason that he still wouldn't go at least in the 6-8 range in this years draft.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have a sneaky feeling that Quinn Hughs will drop due to size concerns. If it does, and if Holland is still GM, you can bet it will be considered

Doesn’t exactly scream Tyler Wright pick, but I’d take it.

You don’t think that factored into Mrazek getting traded at all?

I think part of it was he wasn’t playing up up to his cap hit, but it’s pretty common that guys that go to arbitration end up getting traded. It’s been reported they can get pretty hostile and damage relationships.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
You don’t think that factored into Mrazek getting traded at all?

I think part of it was he wasn’t playing up up to his cap hit, but it’s pretty common that guys that go to arbitration end up getting traded. It’s been reported they can get pretty hostile and damage relationships.

Mrazek was traded because he's terrible.

Most players get signed before the arbitrator's ruling. Give me a list of players who went through with the arbitration and were later dealt.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I had meant to comment on this post. I know McIsaac is down in the rankings a bit, but I really like his game. He skates well, he's solid defensively, he's physical, he can carry the puck, he can shoot, he can pass. He doesn't do any of those things at an elite level, but he's very well-rounded. He could be an all-around 2nd pairing guy who plays PK and 2nd PP.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I really like watching Quinn Hughes play and skate but I get a little scared about his style at the NHL level. He's going to need to adjust because I think he'll get caught up quite a bit and I see his defensive style kind of like a sweeper in soccer - not in a positioning sense. I'd really be happy if we picked him to watch him progress as a player, but as much as I like him I have a little doubt eating away at the back of my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad