Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Going with small, talented players has worked out extremely well for the Red Wings lately. Still waiting for Nyquist to score 50 goals :laugh:

There's obviously a balance you want between skill and size but drafting someone undersized because they have more talent isn't going to work out as much as it'll fall short.

Unless they have the skill set of someone like Johnny Hockey or Patty Kane, size is pretty important. Basically, unless that small player is going to be flat out elite don't expect much from him.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Going with small, talented players has worked out extremely well for the Red Wings lately. Still waiting for Nyquist to score 50 goals :laugh:

There's obviously a balance you want between skill and size but drafting someone undersized because they have more talent isn't going to work out as much as it'll fall short.

Unless they have the skill set of someone like Johnny Hockey or Patty Kane, size is pretty important. Basically, unless that small player is going to be flat out elite don't expect much from him.
i wish we have more like Nyquist, was drafted 4th round . How many 4th rounders who score 50 do you know ? But if you wont to know good smaller players i can remind you : Johnny Gaudreau , 5'9" , Patrick Kane 5'11", Cam Atkinson 5'08", Kucherov 5'11" , Datsyuk 5'11" and i wish we drafted never drafted Martin St. Louis

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
i wish we have more like Nyquist, was drafted 4th round . How many 4th rounders who score 50 do you know ? But if you wont to know good smaller players i can remind you : Johnny Gaudreau , 5'9" , Patrick Kane 5'11", Cam Atkinson 5'08", Kucherov 5'11" , Datsyuk 5'11" and i wish we drafted never drafted Martin St. Louis
I mentioned Johnny Hockey and Patty Kane.

And of that list, all are elite, proving my point. It's possible to be small and have great success in the NHL, but it is extremely rare. Unless they are the best of the best, small players will be doomed to mediocrity in an increasingly growing league.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The difference in height between Gaudreau and Datsyuk is pretty big. Same difference as between Datsyuk and Perry. Have no trouble drafting forwards the size of Kane/Datsyuk if they have skill and skating. When you get to guys as small as Gaudreau though...

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I mentioned Johnny Hockey and Patty Kane.

And of that list, all are elite, proving my point. It's possible to be small and have great success in the NHL, but it is extremely rare. Unless they are the best of the best, small players will be doomed to mediocrity in an increasingly growing league.
Eh, we drafted a big skilled guy with zero motivation in Mantha so them we drafted a big, low skill guy in Rasmussen who had lots of motivation. Rasmussen is not scoring in a very week league, at least not anywhere near what you'd expect given his draft position. Meanwhile Vilardi tore up the OHL in even strength scoring. He's not an elite skater but he's elite in every other meaningful way.

This is why the entire front office needs to go. We have the worst ROW in the league, God awful cap management, and zero dmen in development who are ready to contribute. I'm not sure how anyone can defend this management team but some do.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah, we just got a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounder for Tatar. How terrible.

Very skilled players get passed over because they lack size every year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Eh, we drafted a big skilled guy with zero motivation in Mantha so them we drafted a big, low skill guy in Rasmussen who had lots of motivation. Rasmussen is not scoring in a very week league, at least not anywhere near what you'd expect given his draft position. Meanwhile Vilardi tore up the OHL in even strength scoring. He's not an elite skater but he's elite in every other meaningful way.

This is why the entire front office needs to go. We have the worst ROW in the league, God awful cap management, and zero dmen in development who are ready to contribute. I'm not sure how anyone can defend this management team but some do.

I feel like Chandler in that pivot scene everytime I hear people say this stuff about Rasmussen, its getting so old. He was on pace for 90 points with a surgery mid season that had him playing through injury the first half of the year. He led his team in points per game despite his surgery. Could Vilardi be better? Sure, but his skating+injury had plenty of teams pass over him and Rasmussen was drafted right where he was projected. Even if Vilardi is better, that doesnt mean Ras wont be a really good NHL player... give it a rest already

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Agree with every single word
If we draft #2 this year ,who would you pic? I would Draft Boqvist , let him developed in Sweden for about 2 years , just like Z &D were

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit

I don't pay attention to what players do in the minors, plenty of players tear up minors and never make it. We gotta see if Valardi's skating can translate into the NHL and see if Ras can contribute offensively in the NHL.

I agree they need to go, a good parting gift would be Dahlin though :laugh:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Yeah, we just got a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounder for Tatar. How terrible.

Very skilled players get passed over because they lack size every year.
So if teams are passing them up every year what does that tell you? Why wouldn't someone try to take all those players and do something with them?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I feel like Chandler in that pivot scene everytime I hear people say this stuff about Rasmussen, its getting so old. He was on pace for 90 points with a surgery mid season that had him playing through injury the first half of the year. He led his team in points per game despite his surgery. Could Vilardi be better? Sure, but his skating+injury had plenty of teams pass over him and Rasmussen was drafted right where he was projected. Even if Vilardi is better, that doesnt mean Ras wont be a really good NHL player... give it a rest already

Fair enough. Plenty of people have defended every single move Holland has made. I'm sorry for pointing out where that had gotten us: worst ROW in the league, well over the cap, and absolutely nothing being done to address our biggest weakness which is defense.

So fine, I'll say nothing more about Rasmussen for the time being. However it's going to become a topic in a couple years just like defense had been a sore spot for 5 years with no end in sight.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If we draft #2 this year ,who would you pic? I would Draft Boqvist , let him developed in Sweden for about 2 years , just like Z &D were
Yeah I am fine with Boqvist. Also really like how Bouchard is producing. You have to go defense, this organization had committed malpractice with how they've handled defense over the past 5 years. Cholo over Chychrun is a 15 year mistake.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Please give us 1 of Dahlin, Svechnikov, Boqvist or Hughes. We need elite skill.

The concerns mentioned about Bouchard's skating and compete level has me iffy on him.

Is Wahlstrom projected to be a #1 center, better than Larkin? We need to win the Jack Hughes draft next year for that.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The concerns mentioned about Bouchard's skating and compete level has me iffy on him. We are
It's amazing how many really good hockey players aren't qualified to play on the team with the worst ROW in the league. Hughes is too small according to some here, Bouchard is too slow. Maybe we can bring Jakub Kindl and Brendan Smith back next year.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
It's amazing how many really good hockey players aren't qualified to play on the team with the worst ROW in the league. Hughes is too small according to some here, Bouchard is too slow. Maybe we can bring Jakub Kindl and Brendan Smith back next year.

Lol I never said that...Wings need top 10 help. If Bouchard is the guy then so be it! I'm new to following the draft and prospects so I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong about a player.

In Bouchard's case....skating and compete level are things that can be remedied....but those questions are there regarding him...as there are for all prospects.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

If you want Boqvist at #2, we should trade down and gain a bunch of extra picks. I.e. take Boqvist #4.

Fair enough. Plenty of people have defended every single move Holland has made. I'm sorry for pointing out where that had gotten us: worst ROW in the league, well over the cap, and absolutely nothing being done to address our biggest weakness which is defense.

So fine, I'll say nothing more about Rasmussen for the time being. However it's going to become a topic in a couple years just like defense had been a sore spot for 5 years with no end in sight.

worst ROW - yes we suck this year - GJ us, the tanking has just begun... expect more of it if you want star players.
it will take a little while to shed salary... but we dont have any 7-8 Mil players on ELC contracts, so salary shouldnt be an issue for a while. We HAVE to draft at least 2 D with our top 4 picks this year i would think.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is our future power-play:

-------------Rasmussen(in net)

RH sniper ----- L or R Forw --------- Mantha

---------- Dahlin or another 2018 draftee

3 pieces missing.

Larkin, Frk, Bert and Cholowski/Hronek are career 2nd PP guys in a strong team.

---------- Bertuzzi (in net)

FRK ------ Larkin - Athanasiou

--------- Cholowski/Hronek

or

----------- Bertuzzi (in net)

FRK or another RHF ----------- Larkin

----- Hronek ------ Cholowski

This makes basicly Athanasiou a trade bait. No room in PP units. Doesn't add a handness or anything.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If we do go forward, would prefer a righty... cough cough... Wahlstrom.

All of the defenseman projected to go top 10 have a great skill set for the power play. Hughes, Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, will all be PP QB’s.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
If we do go forward, would prefer a righty... cough cough... Wahlstrom.

All of the defenseman projected to go top 10 have a great skill set for the power play. Hughes, Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, will all be PP QB’s.

More I watch Dobson, the more I like him. He's probably my #2 defenseman behind Bouchard.

(well, Dahlin notwithstanding)

EDIT: and Wahlstrom is my pick as well, other than the top 2.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
More I watch Dobson, the more I like him. He's probably my #2 defenseman behind Bouchard.

(well, Dahlin notwithstanding)

Honestly, between Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes, Smith... I like all of them. I have a hard time going with one over another.

But Dobson has the size, the skating, and is a great puck mover. I like him best as a potential big minute guy that also puts up points.

But I’d be happy with any of those guys.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad