Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Had a dream about us picking Dahlin, hope it's deja vu:D. If we don't land Dahlin id still be really happy with Adam Boqvist, or Hughes.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think it is safe to say Wings are drafting between 5th and 12th, and more likely between 7th and 9th. Who is going to be available at #8?

Bah, not even half way through the season and it's already time to start doing some prospect research. :/

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
New rankings: McKeen's 2018 NHL Draft Rankings - December 2017 - Top 31

I love the idea of taking one of Boqvist/Hughes/Smith/Dobson and then turning around and taking a risky, high upside defenseman later in the 1st (ideally with whatever you get from a Mike Green trade), like Jared McIsaac or Bode Wilde.

Really, I want the Wings to focus on defense in the first round this year. There just aren't any centers to take, and the only winger I would accept would be Zadina, maybe (or Svechnikov if that were to happen, which it probably won't). But I'd still prefer a defenseman. They have 4 2nd and 3rd rounders, so they can still make up for forward depth later on.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
New rankings: McKeen's 2018 NHL Draft Rankings - December 2017 - Top 31

I love the idea of taking one of Boqvist/Hughes/Smith/Dobson and then turning around and taking a risky, high upside defenseman later in the 1st (ideally with whatever you get from a Mike Green trade), like Jared McIsaac or Bode Wilde.

Really, I want the Wings to focus on defense in the first round this year. There just aren't any centers to take, and the only winger I would accept would be Zadina, maybe (or Svechnikov if that were to happen, which it probably won't). But I'd still prefer a defenseman. They have 4 2nd and 3rd rounders, so they can still make up for forward depth later on.

Yes, but Green's return will be too late of a 1st to get one of those guys. I think McIsaac is extremely underrated base on my limited view. He's got the compete you want in any player. He's a ball of energy and awesome stick handling and slick skating for a dman.

Wilde has the shot that would make Shea Weber blush. He has a patent move, however, that will quickly get noticed at the NHL level; he sneaks down the right side to pick the top right corner with accuracy. His speed and acceleration is clunky.

It would be nice to get one of these kids with the Green pick. And go for Oliver Wahlstrom (RW/C) with your top 7 pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yes, but Green's return will be too late of a 1st to get one of those guys. I think McIsaac is extremely underrated base on my limited view. He's got the compete you want in any player. He's a ball of energy and awesome stick handling and slick skating for a dman.

Wilde has the shot that would make Shea Weber blush. He has a patent move, however, that will quickly get noticed at the NHL level; he sneaks down the right side to pick the top right corner with accuracy. His speed and acceleration is clunky.

It would be nice to get one of these kids with the Green pick. And go for Oliver Wahlstrom (RW/C) with your top 7 pick.

Regarding McIsaac - there is a pretty strong correlation between CHL (PPG) production and defenseman becoming impact guys. So if McIsaac continues to stay closer to .5 PPG than 1 PPG, I think he will go in the back half of the first round, even if he has a good combo of size/tools.

Wahlstrom with a top 7 pick is good with me, although I think I'd prefer a defenseman.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think Wahlstrom is a legit blue-chip prospect and someone Wings are missing in the system. His puck handling and zone entry will be the best we've had since Datsuyk.

Typically Dmen are hard to gauge which is why the best ones are usually late round GEMs. Load up on dmen in the late 1st (Green) and 2nd and 3rd rounds. Many will fall anyhow.

Then 4th-7th let Hakan Andersson loose.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Wahlstrom is a legit blue-chip prospect and someone Wings are missing in the system. His puck handling and zone entry will be the best we've had since Datsuyk.

A little surprised I'm saying this, but I agree. Still wish he was a center, though.

Typically Dmen are hard to gauge which is why the best ones are usually late round GEMs. Then load up on dmen in the late 1st and 2nd and 3rd rounds. Many will fall anyhow.

Not a bad plan, we have two 2nd rounders and two 3rd rounders. Go for boom/bust guys. Guys like Calen Addison, Jonny Tychonick, Giovanni Vallati, etc.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If Wings win the lottery, they have to take Dahlin. He's going to be a legit super star. It'd be nice to see a little luck sway Detroit's way for a change.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Can't believe we might actually have 2 first round picks in a strong draft like this. If they're able to take full advantage, it could really boost the rebuild.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Can't believe we might actually have 2 first round picks in a strong draft like this. If they're able to take full advantage, it could really boost the rebuild.

We can't dismiss the chance that Green's return is a 2019 (top 10/15 protected) pick. Or something along those lines. But he should definitely return a late 1st, however.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If Wings pick #3, then they have to go with Zadina.

Zadina looks great but I think there'll be lots of players to consider. My personal favorite would be Boqvist... he's the offensive defense prospect that finally should be compared to Erik Karlsson (obviously any comparison has to be stylistic, but Boqvist is very talented).

I'm excited to see how everyone plays down the stretch. There's so much talent that any pick is up for grabs (besides 1 and 2 unless someone does something truly phenomenal to finish the season).

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Players I'm interested in:

Daniel Dvorak
Jonatan Berggren
Dennis Busby
Stanislav Demin
Albin Eriksson
Patrick Giles
Gabriel Fortier
Ty Dellandrea
Curtis Hall
Carl Wassenius
Connor Roberts
Rasmus Sandin
Martin Kaut
Blade Jenkins
Jacob Ragnarsson
Blake McLaughlin
Cameron Hillis
Calen Addison
Jett Woo
K'Andre Miller

After the 1st round.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Center or D.
And this looks like a draft for D.
But if they have a C they like, maybe you take the C and hope to get a D with the Green pick.
It's still too early for me to geek out on the 2018 draft.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
If Wings pick #3, then they have to go with Zadina.

This reeks of stat watching. I would take Boqvist, Hughes, and maybe Tkachuk over Zadina. He has a great pp/g in arguably the weakest CHL league as one of the older and bigger guys in his peer group. Its obviously impressive what he's doing and he'd be a great pick but he is far from the BPA at #3 and team needs put him even further out as our primary selection.

People need to stop being obsessed with Zadina and Svechnikov. We'll never assemble a contending team if we keep drafting wingers who ultimately keep us flying high enough to stay out of the draft in the range where the best Cs and Ds fall. Nobody wins Cups without top Cs or Ds. No Kane, Kovalchuk, Hull or Ovechkin is going to compensate for a team that lacks a pair of offensive centers and offensive defenseman.

If we're picking at 3 and staring down Zadina, I'd be making my way towards the tables of the teams that had picks 4, 5, and 6 before I even thought about making my way towards the stage.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Center or D.
But if they have a C they like, maybe you take the C and hope to get a D with the Green pick.

This isn't a draft to like Cs in, IMO. Tkachuk isn't a true C, Veleno looks like another high floor/low ceiling safety pick whose junior trajectory has led to a ton of hype, Mcleod is like Veleno but without the hype, Kupari doesn't really floor you for where we should be picking and Wahlstrom, while intriguing, is pretty risky for a top 10 pick.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think it is safe to say Wings are drafting between 5th and 12th, and more likely between 7th and 9th. Who is going to be available at #8?

Bah, not even half way through the season and it's already time to start doing some prospect research. :/

I'd bet on 4-7 with the way things are going... Edmonton is not going to be this bad all year. Detroit is realistically only a point or two out of third worst in the league. I don't think that's going to change much now. Green will likely be traded for the last quarter of the season and Zetterberg and Kronwall's play will only continue to deteriorate as the season wears on.

Center or D.

Detroit will be picking high enough that there likely wont be a good enough C compared to the defenders available.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Detroit should do anything they can to snag the 17th-23rd pick and draft a center there. Their top pick, unless it's #2 or #10 should be a D-man. But late in the first there are a few intriguing centers that could be good boom/bust picks.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Detroit should do anything they can to snag the 17th-23rd pick and draft a center there. Their top pick, unless it's #2 or #10 should be a D-man. But late in the first there are a few intriguing centers that could be good boom/bust picks.

Why would #1 not be a D-man?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad