Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Would Samuelsson fit the Devils’ style?

Probably not.

Though I would certainly take a look at him in the mid-second to third round, the Devils lack picks in those rounds. He's what people call a "safe" pick -- he's got a very high floor as a bottom-3, stay-at-home D with size. He lacks any qualities which "wow" -- puck-handling/shot/speed -- though he has no glaring weakness. He can one day be a very solid, physical defensive D-man. But not a top 20 pick, nor the type of player Shero is building the core with.

Again, if we had a second round pick, I'd be thrilled with a player like Samuelsson in the mid-40s.

Reactions: MichaelJ

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Interesting mock draft. Where do you rank Serron Noel?

Noel is tough to place. His size/skating/shot combo are tantalizing, and it's possible he could go as early as the #19 pick (Philadelphia). But he also failed to produce at a first round level, or even close, with just over 50 points in 65 games for Oshawa. His puck handling amounts to pretty much shielding off smaller opponents with his huge frame, which will be harder to do at higher levels. That being said, he could become a physical force at the NHL level once he fills out his 6'5 frame.

Noel is certainly the type of player "old school" GMs will covet, making him a candidate to go in the 20s to Ottawa, Anaheim or San Jose. Also, teams with several early picks might be more willing to take a chance on him, like Ottawa or the Rangers. I like Noel, he's just got a ton of development ahead of him. Is he the next Tom Wilson? The next Wayne Simmonds? Or a fourth line banger?

Keep in mind my mock drafts are not rankings. I have Lundestrom going 18 to Columbus because he fits in with their draft history/organizational philosophy/positional need and Dellandrea going 29 to Detroit, but I personally rank Dellandrea higher than Lundestrom -- I think he's one of the most underrated players in the early part of the 2018 draft class.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Don’t see us taking Kravtsov. He currently has a contract with the KHL for the next few years.

This particular mock was sort of my "what if Miller/Smith/Wilde are all gone when the Devils pick" mock. Would Shero go with the next tier of D, a McIsaac or Alexeyev? Or a player with the upside to one day be a top line W alongside Hall and Nico -- a Kravtsov, Book or Thomas?

I went with Kravtsov because his upside/skating is the greatest of all those players, and Castron/Shero seem to covet those qualities. At #17 it's tough to find a player with absolute superstar potential, and Kravtsov certainly has that.

Reactions: nugg

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This particular mock was sort of my "what if Miller/Smith/Wilde are all gone when the Devils pick" mock. Would Shero go with the next tier of D, a McIsaac or Alexeyev? Or a player with the upside to one day be a top line W alongside Hall and Nico -- a Kravtsov, Book or Thomas?

I went with Kravtsov because his upside/skating is the greatest of all those players, and Castron/Shero seem to covet those qualities. At #17 it's tough to find a player with absolute superstar potential, and Kravtsov certainly has that.

I imagine the teams get ample opportunity to speak to these players pre-draft to see if they are interested in making the trip across the pond sooner rather than later.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I imagine the teams get ample opportunity to speak to these players pre-draft to see if they are interested in making the trip across the pond sooner rather than later.

Yeah, but keep in mind that they are kids. As smart, mature and classy as a Nico Hischier is, he's still just a kid. But Nico was talented enough to immediately make an impact in the NHL. A kid like Kravtsov -- well, he needs to fill out physically and round out his overall game to make the NHL. Does he want to do that thousands of miles away from his family and friends and native culture and language? Or would he prefer to spend some more of his young adulthood at home, before coming to the North America and hopefully fulfilling a promising future as a star winger in the NHL?

These players get all sorts of advice -- from family, friends, coaches, agents, team front offices. Some advice is good, some not so good. But in my mind, it is about the kids. And believe me, there are very slim odds of a player the Devils draft at 17 making it to the NHL in the next season or two. It wouldn't matter to me if it were Bokk playing in the SHL or Kravtsov in the KHL or Thomas in the CHL or Miller/Wilde in the NCAA. As long as we got the best player according to the Devils scouting staff and then took care to develop his hockey game in the best way imaginable.

Reactions: My3Sons and nugg

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Yeah, but keep in mind that they are kids. As smart, mature and classy as a Nico Hischier is, he's still just a kid. But Nico was talented enough to immediately make an impact in the NHL. A kid like Kravtsov -- well, he needs to fill out physically and round out his overall game to make the NHL. Does he want to do that thousands of miles away from his family and friends and native culture and language? Or would he prefer to spend some more of his young adulthood at home, before coming to the North America and hopefully fulfilling a promising future as a star winger in the NHL?

These players get all sorts of advice -- from family, friends, coaches, agents, team front offices. Some advice is good, some not so good. But in my mind, it is about the kids. And believe me, there are very slim odds of a player the Devils draft at 17 making it to the NHL in the next season or two. It wouldn't matter to me if it were Bokk playing in the SHL or Kravtsov in the KHL or Thomas in the CHL or Miller/Wilde in the NCAA. As long as we got the best player according to the Devils scouting staff and then took care to develop his hockey game in the best way imaginable.
One thing that scares me a little about Bode Wilde is his committing to Harvard. It seems to be common for players to stay for all four seasons there, increasing the chances of the player opting to become a free agent.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Probably not.

Though I would certainly take a look at him in the mid-second to third round, the Devils lack picks in those rounds. He's what people call a "safe" pick -- he's got a very high floor as a bottom-3, stay-at-home D with size. He lacks any qualities which "wow" -- puck-handling/shot/speed -- though he has no glaring weakness. He can one day be a very solid, physical defensive D-man. But not a top 20 pick, nor the type of player Shero is building the core with.

Again, if we had a second round pick, I'd be thrilled with a player like Samuelsson in the mid-40s.

Thanks. Along the lines of what I was thinking - wouldn’t spend #17 on him but would grab him as a safe pick after that if the Devils had the chance....which they most likely won’t. I just was familiar with reports on him more than his reputation for being steady, wondered if he even would fit here in the event the Devils trade down and get another pick. Thank you again.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
One thing that scares me a little about Bode Wilde is his committing to Harvard. It seems to be common for players to stay for all four seasons there, increasing the chances of the player opting to become a free agent.

I thought he was going to Harvard as well, but he decommitted earlier this season and is now going to Michigan. I had a similar thought about Oliver Wahlstrom, but there are rumors that he might not have the grades for Harvard and/or is headed to BU.

Recruiting: Bode Wilde commits to Michigan

Last edited:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I can invision the Ducks holding off on resigning RICO, so they don’t give up this years 3rd. They can already have a deal inplace and are just waiting for the draft.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I can invision the Ducks holding off on resigning RICO, so they don’t give up this years 3rd. They can already have a deal inplace and are just waiting for the draft.

I thought the 3rd was for the next draft because Rico cant sign until July 1 anyway?

So they have to hold off till after the draft, we would just get their 2019 3rd. Even if they sign him after the 2019 draft we get the 2020 3rd it appears.

From Capfriendly

*Condition: If Ducks re-sign Henrique to an extension prior to 2019 draft, Devils receive a 2019 3rd round pick. If Henrique signs an extension after the 2019 draft, Devils receive a 2020 3rd. If no extension, no pick is exchanged.

Reactions: nugg and Darkauron

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I thought the 3rd was for the next draft because Rico cant sign until July 1 anyway?

So they have to hold off till after the draft, we would just get their 2019 3rd. Even if they sign him after the 2019 draft we get the 2020 3rd it appears.

From Capfriendly

My bad. Thanks for the correction.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Weird not having a 2nd or 3rd

I think the Devils will try to get back into the third round. The class of 2018 is very deep on defense, an area of extreme organizational need. Two names to research are two of my favorite sleepers in this draft: Alec Regula (London Knights) and Slava Demin (Wenahatchee Wild). These are two big kids who skate extremely well and have major upside, Demin as a shut-down force and Regula as a two-way stud. There are also some really intriguing forwards who could be available. C Liam Foudy (London again) could be one of the five fastest skaters in the entire draft. How about C Tyler Madden, son of John Madden? He's an outstanding skater, and one of the smartest players in the draft.

I would be thrilled if the Devils managed to turn a stalled asset (Mueller? Speers?) into a 3rd round pick in this draft. Or perhaps Shero trades down into the mid-20s and recoups another second rounder. It's possible that the Devils, even in the 23-28 range, would still have a shot at a K'Andre Miller or Alex Alexeyev or Dominic Bokk or Vitali Kravtsov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad