GDT: 2018 NHL Allstar Game & Skills Competition ★ Jan 27 & 28 Tampa

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I agree 100% about taking the draft over the all star game here in Winnipeg.

That was stupid and boring.

The puck handling and passing drills were designed by someone who hasn’t play the game in there life.

The whole event is a bore

If Winnipeg gets a choice of the draft or the All Star thing I’d take the draft all the way!

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Hope Wheeler scores 5 goals tomorrow so press gets to know him better as BLAKE Wheeler not MARK Wheeler.

:)

Hope Helly makes a split type glove save against a 2 and 0 breakaway. Ala Mike Vernon.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
oh please god give winnipeg the draft!! I can only dream of the chants that would spontaneously erupt from the crowd! I know I would go!

How many all-stars have or will have Winnipeg on their no-trade lists? Probably all, or nearly so. If the NHLPA plays a part in city selection, chances are better that Winnipeg will get the draft.

Edit: I'd rather have the draft too. It's real, and it's in the summer.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm glad Crosby, Kopitar and Marchand did worse than Wheeler on the shooting accuracy comp, otherwise some people here would be using it as proof that Wheeler's shooting sucks and demand he be taken off the the PP :sarcasm:
Well, his shooting does kinda stink, though.... only Tanev, Copp and Matthias have a lower SH% and Corsi SH% this season.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

The puck handling and passing drills were designed by someone who hasn’t play the game in there life.

If Winnipeg gets a choice of the draft or the All Star thing I’d take the draft all the way!
Couldn't agree more , i couldn't even make it through this joke . The players never try in these all star games , the only way they might is if they did it like baseball and the winner gets home ice advantage for the cup . But even then no team wants to lose their best player or players , just file the whole thing . As far as the draft , we should have had one here by now , the MTS would be full and very excited , only makes sense to have it in a city where hockey is king .

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How many all-stars have or will have Winnipeg on their no-trade lists? Probably all, or nearly so. If the NHLPA plays a part in city selection, chances are better that Winnipeg will get the draft.

Edit: I'd rather have the draft too. It's real, and it's in the summer.
Completely agree. The draft would be awesome. Any day you can walk into a hockey rink in Winnipeg in your shorts and flip flops is a good day.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

The draft is at a much better time of year to showcase our city. The draft itself is a bit boring live the first night but unwatchable day 2. It’s not really a good live event because you can’t see the player interviews or speculation by the TV crews.

All star game is a terrible idea “IMO” and they should go back to naming teams but not having a game.

Either way neither of these events will happen until True North Square and Sutton place hotel are 100% complete.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
The best thing about the all star game yet again was PK's commentary during the passing competition. he is going to have a long career in broadcast after he retires.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Agree that the draft is a much better event to host, than an all star game. Only caveat is it must be held in a year we are assured the Jets have a #1 pick available to them

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
The draft is at a much better time of year to showcase our city. The draft itself is a bit boring live the first night but unwatchable day 2. It’s not really a good live event because you can’t see the player interviews or speculation by the TV crews.

All star game is a terrible idea “IMO” and they should go back to naming teams but not having a game.

Either way neither of these events will happen until True North Square and Sutton place hotel are 100% complete.

I agree. Tried watching the skills comp last night but really not too interested and the show itself seemed to force the importance of such a game. Sure McDavid wins the fastest skater but there wasn't much competition. Hardest shot- great for Ovi but not many big shots for him to compete with.

I did really enjoy "Showdown" as a kid so perhaps the market for the skills comp is kids 12 and under.

I expect a draft as well once the square and hotel are built. Any idea of final completion date? 2020

Reactions: Poxsonus and ps241

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

Rosters
OMG that last graphic

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

The All Star Game is for kids, and I think they should keep having it.

I remember how much I loved this event as a kid, and I'd bet if you asked kids about it now (even teens in hockey) they'd still love it.

They should make the game result for home ice advantage in the SCF. That would add some stakes and drama.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I remember how much I loved this event as a kid, and I'd bet if you asked kids about it now (even teens in hockey) they'd still love it.

They should make the game result for home ice advantage in the SCF. That would add some stakes and drama.

Not a bad point about the kids. It’s the NHL’s Santa Clause parade :laugh:

Reactions: Evil Little and Jet

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

I think most are missing the point, you nailed it here. I watched last night with my 7 year old and he loved it, had to go to bed before it was over so got up at 6am and put on the recorded part himself lol. He was really into it, kids love these things and they drool over the skill of these players. My son says, Daddy when I'm older which event you think I should do?
So I know some adults hate it, but it still has a purpose.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I didnt see any all star stuff....not even sure when it is or what it is, but the draft? Jet fans will spend weeks, months, even years researching this. Outside of the actual playoffs, its become the biggest most interesting hockey event on the calendar.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I didnt see any all star stuff....not even sure when it is or what it is, but the draft? Jet fans will spend weeks, months, even years researching this. Outside of the actual playoffs, its become the biggest most interesting hockey event on the calendar.
Ya, but watching it live is dreadful, that's one thing that's far better on TV IMO

Reactions: SLAYER

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
The world cup of hockey is way better than an all star game and doesn't interrupt the season. I'd say just scrap the all-star game and throw all their promo weight behind that. Gives the best in the game a chance to warm up for the year without playing against AHL goons in pre-season.

I'd rather see Winnipeg host that.

Reactions: Mathil8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad