2018 Memorial Cup

Danny Dangler

Jul 13, 2016
How about the Halifax Mooseheads? They have a nice arena which seats 11,000 and has newly renovated seats, washrooms, and concessions; Not to mention a fair amount of money to for the bid.

The team looks to be building towards 2018 with the 1st and 2nd overall picks in the QMJHL draft this year which they grabbed the best forward and defence with. (B.O. Groulx and Jared McIsaac) The moose also grabbed grabbed a top prospect in this years NHL draft,Nico Hischier with the 6th pick in the import draft.

On top of these draft picks, the Mooseheads picked up the second best ranked goalie who fell from being ranked 10th to the second round because of fear of not reporting. (Alexis Gravel (and he did end up reporting)) Rapheal Lavoie was a big surprise in Halifax's training camp. The second round pick looked even better than Groulx and McIsaac to many people. The Mooseheads look to have a brick wall on there blue line in the near future, although young they have many talented defence including sophomores Walter Flower, and Jockton Chainey. Two rookies that will be joining the Mooseheads back-end are Jordan Lepage and Jarred McIsaac who looked great in training camp.

The only two veterans I think could play a big role in a cup run for the moose are Otto Somppi and Max Fortier. They are nothing crazy but are good first or second line guys to have or maybe could be involved in a future trade.

Two wild cards are the Mooseheads first round pick this year which looks to be a middle of the pack pick which could be used to draft another young player or as trade bait for a memorial cup run peice. The second wild card is a 5th round pick this year Jake Wise an American who is said to be the best player in this years Q draft and has been compared to Jack Eichel. Wise is playing in the USHL this year and unlikely to report next year but maybe after he sees the young talent in Halifax this year he will choose to report.

On a final not I think that the memorial cup will be hosted in a NHL rink like Toronto or Ottawa but if hosted in a CHL rink I think it will be Halifax they are definitely the best Q team available.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
How about the Halifax Mooseheads? They have a nice arena which seats 11,000 and has newly renovated seats, washrooms, and concessions; Not to mention a fair amount of money to for the bid.

The team looks to be building towards 2018 with the 1st and 2nd overall picks in the QMJHL draft this year which they grabbed the best forward and defence with. (B.O. Groulx and Jared McIsaac) The moose also grabbed grabbed a top prospect in this years NHL draft,Nico Hischier with the 6th pick in the import draft.

On top of these draft picks, the Mooseheads picked up the second best ranked goalie who fell from being ranked 10th to the second round because of fear of not reporting. (Alexis Gravel (and he did end up reporting)) Rapheal Lavoie was a big surprise in Halifax's training camp. The second round pick looked even better than Groulx and McIsaac to many people. The Mooseheads look to have a brick wall on there blue line in the near future, although young they have many talented defence including sophomores Walter Flower, and Jockton Chainey. Two rookies that will be joining the Mooseheads back-end are Jordan Lepage and Jarred McIsaac who looked great in training camp.

The only two veterans I think could play a big role in a cup run for the moose are Otto Somppi and Max Fortier. They are nothing crazy but are good first or second line guys to have or maybe could be involved in a future trade.

Two wild cards are the Mooseheads first round pick this year which looks to be a middle of the pack pick which could be used to draft another young player or as trade bait for a memorial cup run peice. The second wild card is a 5th round pick this year Jake Wise an American who is said to be the best player in this years Q draft and has been compared to Jack Eichel. Wise is playing in the USHL this year and unlikely to report next year but maybe after he sees the young talent in Halifax this year he will choose to report.

On a final not I think that the memorial cup will be hosted in a NHL rink like Toronto or Ottawa but if hosted in a CHL rink I think it will be Halifax they are definitely the best Q team available.

Well said but the team has to send a formal requesting that there interested deadline to send the letter was September 1st and on to the next step. Did the Moosehead send the letter. If so goes to The next step if not there not interested in hosting.

Danny Dangler

Jul 13, 2016
Well said but the team has to send a formal requesting that there interested deadline to send the letter was September 1st and on to the next step. Did the Moosehead send the letter. If so goes to The next step if not there not interested in hosting.

I didn't hear of them submitting a request, but I'm not sure if any of the request have been released to the public.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I didn't hear of them submitting a request, but I'm not sure if any of the request have been released to the public.

Your right they haven't released it yet but I know foresure the Oshawa Generals have.and rumbling that Ottawa & Hamilton have but not from the area so don't know foresure.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Your right they haven't released it yet but I know foresure the Oshawa Generals have.and rumbling that Ottawa & Hamilton have but not from the area so don't know foresure.

Oshawa and Ottawa will more than likely be the two OHL bids put forward.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Oshawa and Ottawa will more than likely be the two OHL bids put forward.

I heard Kitchener was & Hamilton were putting in the letter also on one of the series said Kitchener is not going to which shocks me.
Hopefully the CHL post the candidates.
I also wonder if there was an non refundable fee for applying letter?

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
There will be 3 OHL bids: Oshawa, Ottawa & Hamilton. Kitchener is for sure out.

Sounds like Halifax will bid from the Q but not official

I have heard nothing from out West

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
There will be 3 OHL bids: Oshawa, Ottawa & Hamilton. Kitchener is for sure out.

Sounds like Halifax will bid from the Q but not official

I have heard nothing from out West

I think it will come Between Ottawa and Oshawa I know the owner has money not saying Ottawa owner doesn't, both teams has history. it will come down to seating capacity and Ottawa has more also has more tourist destinations & downtown is lively, Oshawa has GM that will be vacant, downtown they roll up the sidewalks after 6pm:laugh: as much as I would like Oshawa to host the Memorial Cup, of the 2 cities Ottawa will get it if the OHL is award to host (read above). Sorry Hamilton

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Thanks aresknights.:yo:

Anybody hear of this kid named Marner.:handclap:

100th anniversary of Mem Cup, would make sense to have it in the Nation's Capital. TD Ctre can host up to 10 000 , I believe.

a better choice would be the Canadian Tire Centre with a capacity of 19,153

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
a better choice would be the Canadian Tire Centre with a capacity of 19,153

The problem with that is you'd have to know for sure that Canadian Tire Centre would be available. Problem is the Sens get first priority over everything there and the Memorial Cup is usually during the NHL Conference Finals. Now I am not saying the Sens will get that far but it doesn't matter, the fact that it is possible means any NHL building is pretty much a no go for hosting a Memorial Cup.
Unless they are willing to play afternoon games, which would work on the weekends but even then the possibility of triple ot would probably nix that.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The problem with that is you'd have to know for sure that Canadian Tire Centre would be available. Problem is the Sens get first priority over everything there and the Memorial Cup is usually during the NHL Conference Finals. Now I am not saying the Sens will get that far but it doesn't matter, the fact that it is possible means any NHL building is pretty much a no go for hosting a Memorial Cup.
Unless they are willing to play afternoon games, which would work on the weekends but even then the possibility of triple ot would probably nix that.

CTC is also out in Kanata. Not saying Kanata is brutal but the whole draw for Ottawa is to have it pretty much downtown. They just renovated Lansdowne and that whole complex itself is a draw. Plus they can have loads of activities in the cattle castle and can set up a bunch of stuff on the football field. People can go to Lansdowne three hours before the game and leave three hours after the game, stay all in one place for the entire day and have a great time. There are the potential for 10K seats which is more than big enough to generate the type of revenue needed to satisfy the bid selection committee.

Ottawa, for this level of event, is the far and away winner off the ice. They should be solid on the ice. No other OHL city can compare.

There will be other QMJHL and WHL Cities that could compare though. So, even if Ottawa is a great destination for the OHL, it doesn't guarantee anything.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
CTC is also out in Kanata. Not saying Kanata is brutal but the whole draw for Ottawa is to have it pretty much downtown. They just renovated Lansdowne and that whole complex itself is a draw. Plus they can have loads of activities in the cattle castle and can set up a bunch of stuff on the football field. People can go to Lansdowne three hours before the game and leave three hours after the game, stay all in one place for the entire day and have a great time. There are the potential for 10K seats which is more than big enough to generate the type of revenue needed to satisfy the bid selection committee.

Ottawa, for this level of event, is the far and away winner off the ice. They should be solid on the ice. No other OHL city can compare.

There will be other QMJHL and WHL Cities that could compare though. So, even if Ottawa is a great destination for the OHL, it doesn't guarantee anything.

There is some talk Gatineau might bid if they were to I could see the Chl going with 5 teams and a joint Ottawa-Gatineau bid.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There is some talk Gatineau might bid if they were to I could see the Chl going with 5 teams and a joint Ottawa-Gatineau bid.

I really can't. The logistics alone would be brutal. The tournament is small, a four team round robin with a semi and a final. Breaking that up into two locations doesn't make sense.

The joint bids work when there are two divisions of round Robbins like the World Juniors but for something like this? I dunno.

It would still need to be out of one building and two organizations would need to work together. I just don't see any reason for it.

On top of that, which team is the host team? It's not like they can have both teams in the tournament.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I really can't. The logistics alone would be brutal. The tournament is small, a four team round robin with a semi and a final. Breaking that up into two locations doesn't make sense.

The joint bids work when there are two divisions of round Robbins like the World Juniors but for something like this? I dunno.

It would still need to be out of one building and two organizations would need to work together. I just don't see any reason for it.

On top of that, which team is the host team? It's not like they can have both teams in the tournament.

Why not the World Hockey Championship is doing that this year Germany and France are hosting.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Why not the World Hockey Championship is doing that this year Germany and France are hosting.

The OHL Champion gets a spot.
The WHL Champion gets a spot.
The QMJHL Champion gets a spot.
Ottawa as a host gets a spot.
Gatineau as a Host gets a spot.

I'm not very good at math but it looks like there is one too many teams.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Moncton will have a brand new shiny arena by then. Not the best choice given the criteria but i bet they would want to show off the new rink and pay some bills at the same time.

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
The OHL Champion gets a spot.
The WHL Champion gets a spot.
The QMJHL Champion gets a spot.
Ottawa as a host gets a spot.
Gatineau as a Host gets a spot.

I'm not very good at math but it looks like there is one too many teams.
London gets a bye til the final haha

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes