2018 Memorial Cup

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
thanks, but many believe this has already been public knowledge.. just confirmed now..
so in other news..
"We are extremely proud to award the Knights the opportunity to host the 100th Anniversary 2018 MasterCard Memorial Cup and look forward to showcasing our league and the CHL's best major junior players and teams in London next May."

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
thanks, but many believe this has already been public knowledge.. just confirmed now..
so in other news..
"We are extremely proud to award the Knights the opportunity to host the 100th Anniversary 2018 MasterCard Memorial Cup and look forward to showcasing our league and the CHL's best major junior players and teams in London next May."

London is only the capital of the OHL. Toronto is the centre of the universe.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
remember reading something about a format change... found this..

"According to Scott Briggs, in 2018 “the CHL is considering Toronto as host, the site of the first Memorial Cup in 1919” and “now it appears an Ontario Hockey League team will also host in 2017 and Toronto in 2018, albeit with a revised format that could potentially involve more teams.”
"This is all speculation right now (a QMJHL spokesperson told Briggs that this is one of several possibilities) and none of this is set in stone, meaning the QMJHL could still end up hosting in 2017. Perhaps the more significant part of all of this is the potential format change involving more teams. There are unlimited formatting possibilities, and the CHL – and Sportsnet - no doubt want to try and get the national championship the level of hype and exposure the NCAA gets."..

little out of date since we already know about 2017, but it will be interesting to see what happens in '18 regarding a potential format change

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
2018 cup is going back to the Q
So you started a thread talking about how the cup can go anywhere and then without explanation state that it will be where it was supposed to be all along? I am confused? What is your thought process? Can you expand? i.e. Quebec City's new arena is a great new facility and by making the bid national the CHL can justify going back there (after 2 years) under pretense of a celebration tournament with no host really being determined and no detriment to the system. What is the plan for when the host for 2018 is named? if it a Quebec team does it cycle around to a WHL team or does it pick back up at a Q repeat?
The only reason I could see them opening it up to anyone is they already have a venue in mind. My guess? Barrie, after being rejected a few times puts in a bid to host at Ricoh (the Marlies could relocate to the ACC if needed for the AHL playoffs) only to relocate themselves after the Leafs are eliminated in the first round and host the tournament at the Air Canada Centre.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
So you started a thread talking about how the cup can go anywhere and then without explanation state that it will be where it was supposed to be all along? I am confused? What is your thought process? Can you expand? i.e. Quebec City's new arena is a great new facility and by making the bid national the CHL can justify going back there (after 2 years) under pretense of a celebration tournament with no host really being determined and no detriment to the system. What is the plan for when the host for 2018 is named? if it a Quebec team does it cycle around to a WHL team or does it pick back up at a Q repeat?
The only reason I could see them opening it up to anyone is they already have a venue in mind. My guess? Barrie, after being rejected a few times puts in a bid to host at Ricoh (the Marlies could relocate to the ACC if needed for the AHL playoffs) only to relocate themselves after the Leafs are eliminated in the first round and host the tournament at the Air Canada Centre.

Sorry.. 2019 The Cup will be going back to the Q. Thanks for the catch, I have edited my post.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Watch for Hamilton to have a competitive team in two years time, fans will come to the dance if they are, they could place a application with their big rink.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Watch for Hamilton to have a competitive team in two years time, fans will come to the dance if they are, they could place a application with their big rink.
I think it goes to TO - Center of the Hockey universe. None of the 60 CHL teams will host it so nobody gets feathers ruffled. Also best chance to fill an arena would be TO since the Leafs will be done in April. Would like to see 8 teams in. Top 2 from each league ( league finalists) and the best points record from any league for the last 2 teams. No back door entry for this one.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
I think it goes to TO - Center of the Hockey universe. None of the 60 CHL teams will host it so nobody gets feathers ruffled. Also best chance to fill an arena would be TO since the Leafs will be done in April. Would like to see 8 teams in. Top 2 from each league ( league finalists) and the best points record from any league for the last 2 teams. No back door entry for this one.

My understanding is that the Memorial Cup has to be guaranteed access to the venue - hence why neither Calgary nor Edmonton have not been able to secure the event.

Regardless, I think it would be a shame if the Memorial Cup went to Toronto - as far as Ontario goes, I think it would be far more appropriate for it to be Ottawa.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

I think its a real long shot Toronto get it in fact if Ottawa and a couple other bigger markets bid I don't even think Toronto make a bid but if its a few small markets maybe then Toronto bids.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Youve been right before :)

Ive heard this suggested as far back as last year by a couple people.

Thanks aresknights.:yo:

Anybody hear of this kid named Marner.:handclap:

100th anniversary of Mem Cup, would make sense to have it in the Nation's Capital. TD Ctre can host up to 10 000 , I believe.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Thanks aresknights.:yo:

Anybody hear of this kid named Marner.:handclap:

100th anniversary of Mem Cup, would make sense to have it in the Nation's Capital. TD Ctre can host up to 10 000 , I believe.

Yep and with Ottawa's moves recently they seem to be building for 2018 and 2019. Time will tell I guess.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

Don't know what's best, more teams or keep same formula but add extra games against each others, like play the same team twice and/or make the final a best of three series.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Ottawa or T.O. in 2018. Saint John in 2019. I think it's brutal that the Q is getting shafted. They should have been given the tournament next year.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
remember reading something about a format change... found this..

"According to Scott Briggs, in 2018 “the CHL is considering Toronto as host, the site of the first Memorial Cup in 1919†and “now it appears an Ontario Hockey League team will also host in 2017 and Toronto in 2018, albeit with a revised format that could potentially involve more teams.â€
"This is all speculation right now (a QMJHL spokesperson told Briggs that this is one of several possibilities) and none of this is set in stone, meaning the QMJHL could still end up hosting in 2017. Perhaps the more significant part of all of this is the potential format change involving more teams. There are unlimited formatting possibilities, and the CHL – and Sportsnet - no doubt want to try and get the national championship the level of hype and exposure the NCAA gets."..

little out of date since we already know about 2017, but it will be interesting to see what happens in '18 regarding a potential format change

A couple years ago the sense was Ottawa was going to host 2017 and Toronto 2018 but with Ottawa saying no to 2017 many think the reason is they feel they will get 2018 and the league might even be pushing them for 2018 while Toronto gets pushed back to 2020.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad