GDT: 2018 Maple Leafs Trade Deadline Thread Pt.II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
People I talk to say dont expect anything major from the Leafs. Lets see what happens.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I said at the beginning of the month that the time to decide whether the Leafs should buy or sell is on the 25th. Well... we're now an hour in to that day.

My verdict: Hard not to love the team's record in February, but the underlying stats have been less than stellar. The offense has returned, thanks in large part to Mitch Marner. If him and Nylander are truly over their sophomore struggles, it makes us that much more dangerous... and we were already one of the league's top offenses. Andersen has been, of course, fantastic, even drawing himself into the Vezina conversation. But the defense core is still a major issue. It has not come around. It is not good enough, IMO, to go through both Boston and Tampa.

I think Lou and co. either need to address that issue or accept that it is unlikely this team is going to get past Round 2. That means either going big and picking up OEL/McDonagh, dropping Hainsey/Zaitsev down a pairing and pushing Polak out of lineup, or trading JVR to get back what is looking like it might be a king's ransom. What they should not do is trade picks or prospects for mediocre assets or stand pat.

this is true. i don't think they can be half pregnant anymore.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I really hope we can get a solid D at the deadline.

Look at it this way. Our D corps has been bashed all season long and we're currently 4 points out of first place in the entire league.

If we're "that" garbage without this top 4 D we're missing...doesn't adding a top 4 D push us into a top 4 favorites to win? Vegas or Preds from the West. Leafs or Bolts from the East.

Reactions: Kurtz

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'd be okay with nothing happening at this point. Glendening is meh and may be a small improvement but that term is ugly for a fourth liner. Cole would be a solid pickup but I wouldn't give up much for him. If you could flip a guy like Polak for a pick and move the pick for Cole I think that'd make some sense. Other than that, no major moves are necessary. Not that I'd be opposed to picking up pipe dreams like OEL,EK or Mcdonagh.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
I'm hoping we don't do much of anything. Wanna see JVR here and if he walks for nothing than so be it. Not a fan of including Kapanen in any trade. I'm open to trading away our 1st this year, but not very much value there.

Reactions: The Magic Man

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
But you made us worse...

The defense is miles better and Hainsey needs someone to take some minutes off him especially on the PK before he completely falls off a cliff and while I'll admit a JVR Maroon swap hurts offensively but the defensive upgrade in two positions will make us better overall imo

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Because if you can make the team better as a whole and gain better assets for the future it's worth it

So what D is Cole better than? Rielly/Gardiner/Zaitsev/Dermott/Hainsey? You could make the case Cole might play more than Dermott, but Dermott is more talented. So moving picks for Cole, pick up a draft pick for JVR and ship a pick for Maroon who's a free agent at the end of the year?

So....

Out
JVR
Maroon expiring contract
Cole expiring contract
a couple draft picks

In
A draft pick

Yeah ummmm I will pass.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
So what D is Cole better than? Rielly/Gardiner/Zaitsev/Dermott/Hainsey? You could make the case Cole might play more than Dermott, but Dermott is more talented. So moving picks for Cole, pick up a draft pick for JVR and ship a pick for Maroon who's a free agent at the end of the year?

So....

Out
JVR
Maroon expiring contract
Cole expiring contract
a couple draft picks

In
A draft pick

Yeah ummmm I will pass.

JVR is on an expiring contract so I don't see why that's held against the other two when he's probably walking in the off-season

Also a first round pick is worth a hell of a lot more than a 2nd and 3rd without even taking whatever the + is with the 1st for JVR

Cole is a massive upgrade on the bottom pair and he can take PK minutes off Hainsey who's looking like he's doing it tough right now

In
1st
Cole, defensive upgrade
Maroon, JVR replacement
Whatever the + with the 1st for JVR is

Out
JVR
3rd
2nd

End result, better all around team with assets upgrade

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
I hope the Leafs stay put imo, I'd hate to see a stupid deadline trade. We have a pretty good group as we are tbh (aslong as everyone stays healthy).

Reactions: The Magic Man

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This team needs to add a piece, because they are right here for top spot in the east, and the NHL for that matter., If they can catch Tama and win the Atlantic that means Tampa and Boston play each other while Toronto gets to skate circles around whoever the #2 wild card team is while Boston and Tampa beat each other up in what I think would go 7 games.

The winner of that Boston Tampa series could be ripe for the picking in round 2 and once you get by that anything can happen.

This is an elite team, they are primed for a run and they need to add a piece within the next 35.5 hours

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What are the odds the Leafs can trade their 2nd round pick in 2018 as a conditional pick that could become their 1st round pick this year if they make the Conference Finals. Is that something anyone would like to see and what kind of trade could that get them?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm hoping a team like Arizona picks up Matt Martin for those #intangibles that they'll be looking for next season.

I still think he's a player that gets moved... at least in the next couple months but preferably before the deadline.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Organizational philosophy is learn to win at all levels, so it’s not too likely that there are too many moves that disrupt each team’s playoff chances.
The flip side is that you need plenty of bullets to keep the prospect cupboard full.
But if the team can achieve both goals, then it deserves a good look.
I’d think JVR for Fabbro+ is a sustainable move if it’s available. Leivo can slot in. Leafs can retain or add in a package.
Martin’s role is being replaced.
Komarov, same thing.
There’s an extra D or two on the Marlies who could garner a pick.
Would like to see a best of both worlds approach. Sure seems like JVR’s toi has been sliding to prepare for it.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
If you project forward, next years forward corps is pretty full without the UFA’s and Martin, with young controlled talent, and with a wave or two filling in from behind.
The D isn’t much different for next year, but has 2/6 spots filled by expiring players. Will Lili and Borgman be ready to fill those spots by 19-20?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I assume now that the Preds missed out on Nash they’ll go hard for Tatar or Nyqvist.

I’m getting a feeling we make a move for Green & Glendening. Leafs can retain Green as a stop gap for Liljegren.

But I’m trying to keep my expectations low.

Green and glendening for what though? A 1st? Seems like they want a 1st alone for green. If we got them to lower to a 1st for both, and if babcock simply must have glendening I suppose you have to deal with that move. I’d rather not lose a 1st rnd pick.

In 3 years when that 1st rnd pick is ready in the nhl we will probably be at the stage where kapanens, browns etc will be too expensive and we will be needing to replace them with cheap yet talented players, I hope we can keep our 1st

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Green and glendening for what though? A 1st? Seems like they want a 1st alone for green. If we got them to lower to a 1st for both, and if babcock simply must have glendening I suppose you have to deal with that move. I’d rather not lose a 1st rnd pick.

In 3 years when that 1st rnd pick is ready in the nhl we will probably be at the stage where kapanens, brownsnetc will be too expensive and we will be needing to replace them with cheap yet talented players, I hope we can keep our 1st

We have two 2nds. Hunter usually nails 2nd round picks too.

I’d rather deal just our 1st, than both our 2nds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad