2018 Magic Number = 0 (CLINCHED)

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
I'm kinda disappointed they backed their way into the playoffs instead of clinching with a win. That no show in Vegas leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They better get back on track against Dallas tomorrow.

Am I the only one really nervous about facing the Kings? I'm not saying the Ducks would be easy but I have a bad feeling about facing Quick. Kopitar is also having the best season of his career and Carter has been on fire since he's come back. Then again if the Sharks don't get their **** together they could end up in the wild card.

Yea, I would rather face the Ducks for the same reason. But the Ducks have been on fire recently as well, and are only 1 point behind the Kings with a game in hand. Sharks need 3 points to clinch the 2nd seed.

Kings last two games vs: Minnesota, and Dallas
Ducks last three games vs: Minnesota, Dallas, and Arizona
Sharks last three games vs: Dallas, Colorado, and Minnesota

Kings have the easier games, both of their last two games are the tail end of back-to-backs for the other team, after playing against the Ducks the night before (and 3rd game in 4 nights for the Stars). The Sharks last game against the Wild is also their 3rd game in 4 nights, but they have a day before playing the Sharks.

It all comes down to how well they all do against Dallas and Minnesota. Interesting how it came down to the line like that.

That last game of the year of the Blues vs the Avalanche is still shaping up to be a real interesting game.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
How so? Were 4 points clear of LA and 3 of Ana before tonight's action. Just take care of our own business and well be fine.

Now we are 2 and 3.

1 more kings win we are 3rd in the pacific.

The way the sharks schedule is. I could still see the sharks going 0-3. And even 1-3 wouldn't guarantee them the pacific spot.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The way the sharks schedule is. I could still see the sharks going 0-3. And even 1-3 wouldn't guarantee them the pacific spot.

Good grief. They should win 2 of 3 easy. Especially with Minny losing Suter. The recent win streak should garner more confidence in them than that.

Reactions: mooncalf

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
sharks hockey is when you clinch while on a losing streak

i see the ducks and kings pretty equal. Assuming it comes down to those two, Im confident the sharks win in a 7 game series
They went 8-1-1 in the previous 10 before the Vegas game, so they only backed in in theory. They earned it.

Reactions: mooncalf

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Saturday's game result may grate, but it was only a one goal game (as have all games between the two, excluding ENG 2/8). Good challenge for Sharks.

Jumbo has missed 3 of those four games vs VGK due to injury. Kane has only played in one.

Don't be so pessimistic. :D

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Just reading an NHL.com article, Sharks are 10-1-1 vs. Kings, Ducks and Flames. Hopefully they can keep up the dominance over the Pacific in round 1.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I’m pretty confident about our first round opponents this season. More so against the Kings, but Carter and Kopi have been phenomenal down the stretch.

As long as we keep playing our game and not turning over the puck with soft or high risk passing.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
They put themselves in position to afford a slip. 4 games in 6 nights on the road. I guess 8 in a row is easy.

Funny how that 8 game win streak did nothing to actually seperate the 3 teams. But this 3 game losing streak has brought them together to the point where 1 more loss could actually remove them from there spot.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Not going to complain about how they got in considering everyone important is hurt in some fashion.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Funny how that 8 game win streak did nothing to actually seperate the 3 teams. But this 3 game losing streak has brought them together to the point where 1 more loss could actually remove them from there spot.

It doesn't look like you've actually looked at the situation closely. They win 2 out of 3 and they clinch 2nd place, and that doesn't require any losses from the Ducks or Kings.

Last edited:

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
The 8 game streak did nothing to separate them, but yet they have lost 3 in a row and are still 3 points clear of the Ducks and 2 points clear of the Kings with a game in hand? Odd that you could have no separation, yet lose 3 games in a row and still have a lead when the other teams have been winning....

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The 8 game streak did nothing to separate them, but yet they have lost 3 in a row and are still 3 points clear of the Ducks and 2 points clear of the Kings with a game in hand? Odd that you could have no separation, yet lose 3 games in a row and still have a lead when the other teams have been winning....

When this thread was started with 11 games to go we were 2nd in the division 3 points up on 4th (anaheim).

8 games later we are 3 points up on 4th (anaheim).

If there was any seperation it was 4 or less points. When a small 3 game losing streak puts you on the edge of losing your spot, there was no seperation made.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
The Kings have the ROW tiebreaker over the Sharks so if they win their last 2 and the Sharks win only 1 and end up tied with 100 pts, the Kings have home ice. If the Ducks also win out they have 101 pts and the Sharks end up in the wild card. Shit got real folks. Nice job Sharks.

Broiler19

Oct 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
I get that nobody seems satisfied with just making the dance and don’t get me wrong I want sharks to have home ice round one but I’m pretty thankful they’re in. Thornton going down and the OT loss in Minnesota last game before trade deadline this team was fully cooked. Now everyone is freaking out about this stretch and I understand that nobody myself included likes a 4 game losing streak to potentially lose home ice, but we are in. There’s nothing like playoff hockey and the truest of sharks fans will appreciate every second of playoff action we have and anything can happen. But damn they need a look in the mirror after tonight because that was as obvious a not taking your opponent seriously as it gets and it bit them in the ass hard

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The Kings have the ROW tiebreaker over the Sharks so if they win their last 2 and the Sharks win only 1 and end up tied with 100 pts, the Kings have home ice. If the Ducks also win out they have 101 pts and the Sharks end up in the wild card. **** got real folks. Nice job Sharks.

That's Positively Negative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad