2018 Magic Number = 0 (CLINCHED)

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
So theres still a chance for the sharks to blow it?

CVUQ2JTVAAEGLZh.jpg

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I love SportsClubStats. Sharks have a 4 point lead and a game in hand over LA but LA has a better % chance at winning the cup.

yeah, ok.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I love SportsClubStats. Sharks have a 4 point lead and a game in hand over LA but LA has a better % chance at winning the cup.

yeah, ok.

Strength of schedule.

San jose has calgary, minny, st louis, vegas, chicago, dallas, nashville, colorado.

Kings have edmonton, calgary, arizona, anaheim, dallas, colorado, minny.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Strength of schedule.

San jose has calgary, minny, st louis, vegas, chicago, dallas, nashville, colorado.

Flames, Hawks, Stars don't even care anymore annnndd LA has the Ducks, Aves, and Minny is their last 4. Sharks go 5-3 in their last 8 they should hold onto 2nd, doesn't feel that crazy.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

yeah, ok.

Strength of schedule.

That's the Cup. I saw one prediction odds site that had us at 3rd highest odds for the Cup, behind Winnipeg and Tampa (iirc) and thus ahead of Boston, Nashville, and every other team. I don't know how they predict who wins the Cup but it's clearly not something based simply on numbers. It might be a complicated formula that takes into account our performance since Jumbo went down (more points than Vegas in that time frame) and the teams we have to play in the playoffs, it might just be a board of 5-10 guys who put in their odds and the website posts the average Cup odds, or it could just be one guy who does the numbers himself, and feels that given the playoff experience that LA has, they are a better pick.

I don't think there is any betting odds website that is even remotely decent out there that suggests that we have weaker odds of making the playoffs than the Kings. Both teams

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Flames, Hawks, Stars don't even care anymore annnndd LA has the Ducks, Aves, and Minny is their last 4. Sharks go 5-3 in their last 8 they should hold onto 2nd, doesn't feel that crazy.

I think the Sharks' next 3 games are the most critical. Get 5 pts from Calgary, Hawks and Blues and there's much less pressure on the Sharks going up against Preds and Knights on the road. By this time, next week we should have a good sense if the Sharks can hold onto 2nd place.

But honestly, to me, 3rd is fine, too. Just don't want the WC slot.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I think the Sharks' next 3 games are the most critical. Get 5 pts from Calgary, Hawks and Blues and there's much less pressure on the Sharks going up against Preds and Knights on the road. By this time, next week we should have a good sense if the Sharks can hold onto 2nd place.

But honestly, to me, 3rd is fine, too. Just don't want the WC slot.

Pretty much can't drop points with the Flames and Hawks. Cause it will be pretty tough if they do

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It would be pretty cool to see us get 100 points this year. It would be actually the first season for us with 100 points since 2013-2014 and only the second time since 2010-2011.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sharks should be close to mathematically clinching. Kings lost in regulation. Should trim some numbers on that magic number scale.

By my count, the magic number is 7. The Kings have 89 points in 76 games and a maximum output of 101 points - we currently have 95.

What is the tie breaker? Is it the season series? If that's the case, we would have the tie breaker and the magic number would become 6. But if it's ROW, or GDiff, then it's 7, as the Kings are still tied with us in ROW.

Edit: just checked and the tie breaker is ROW so the magic number is 7.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
Yup, magic number is now 7.

Calgary is essentially eliminated at this point. They can get a maximum of 92 points if they win out from here. Colorado and St. Louis need just 2 wins each in their last 7 games to be at 94 and 93 respectively. The likely cut off for wild card will be 96 points.

Dallas is also very unlikely to make it, they need to go 6-1 to get to 96 points, and in their last 7 games, 6 are against teams higher than them in the standings (including a California trip hitting all 3 teams to end their season).

There are 4 teams within 1 point of each other, fighting for 3 spots (including Pac #3), LA, Anahiem, Colorado, and St. Louis. The Sharks play STL and COL, so how they do against us could make a difference. LA and ANA also play each other once more, which could be a deciding factor on which team places #3 in the Pac. STL and COL play each other as the final game of the season, this could be an incredibly exciting game to watch if making the playoff hinges on the result.

As far as the sharks schedule, it doesn't look too difficult. The only team I think they lose to is Nashville, the rest should be wins considering the way they have been playing lately. I think the Sharks are also due for a shark-like loss where they out play and out shoot an opponent and still lose somehow (the STL or MIN game would be my bet), ending their last 7 games with a record of 5-2 and 105 points. This will put them solidly in 2nd place in the Pac because VGK has a really easy last 7 games (my guess is they end their last 7 games 4-3 as well, with losses to SJS, COL, STL, for 108 points).

The only game today that will really affect the playoff race is Anaheim vs Edmonton. Can the oilers pull off another upset like yesterday vs the kings? Or are they too tired from the back to back? I'll be watching this game for sure.

Reactions: NiWa

Broiler19

Oct 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
Crazy to think that during this 7 game win streak and 9-2 stretch that the sharks have not been able to create any real breathing room. Imagine if they even went 7-3-1, those three points are the difference from us talking home ice vs us talking possible no playoffs.

I also wonder if they’ll roll jones or dell vs Chicago. B2b with the easier opponent in Chicago but still a constant need for Points on a nightly basis and with jones playing so well I wonder if instead of the likely scenario of dell(chi)-jones(stl) he rolls with jones(chi) and then possibly jones again(stl) if they lose tmrw and considers dell if they get 2 pts vs Chicago. I know we don’t want to run jones into the ground but I would roll jones va Chicago and then depending on result make my decision for stl closer to game time.

Reactions: Solmors

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad