GDT: 2018 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships

Which Avs Prospect Do Think Will Make Their Countries?

• Total voters

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Just a quick hello to the "we should have picked a forward" crowd from last year:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Even looking downstream in that draft you have Chabot, Boeser, Samsonov, Barzal, Connor, White, Eriksson Ek, Aho, and Svechnikov all looking really good. Not that I would necessarily pick any of them over Rants, but 2015 is an amazing draft and if 2018 is supposed to be even better we could be sitting pretty in a few years if Ottawa ends up pulling their heads out of their asses and gives us that pick.

I'd trade Rants for Boeser in a heartbeat. Possibly Barzal and Chabot too.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Pronman on the game yesterday

Cale Makar, D, Colorado: The fourth-overall pick last summer looked like an impactful offensive player when he was near the puck. He's an elite skater with good hands and great offensive instincts. His time at the NCAA level has improved his pace, as he worked very well in situations without space, getting pucks through to the net or making quick, skilled plays. He should quarterback their first power play unit.

Reactions: Vaslof and LTC Pain

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I updated the OP with players to watch for.

Just a quick hello to the "we should have picked a forward" crowd from last year:

Sorry, but this is really horrible logic to use. The "we should have picked a forward" crowd which is a small minority only really wanted one to two players at maximum, with one being unanimously Pettersson.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I updated the OP with players to watch for.

Sorry, but this is really horrible logic to use. The "we should have picked a forward" crowd which is a small minority only really wanted one to two players at maximum, with one being unanimously Pettersson.
False. I spent a lot of time here before and during the draft. Pettersson's name was very rarely mentioned. Most wanted Vilardi and Glass.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
False. I spent a lot of time here before and during the draft. Pettersson's name was very rarely mentioned. Most wanted Vilardi and Glass.

Yea, same. Spent a ton of time here prior to the draft. It was Heiskanen primarily for D until Dallas got the 3rd pick. Then it Makar getting some love, but for forwards it was Vilardi or Glass.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You guys are mistaken, majority of people here wanted a defender, but specifically mentioned a forward if worst came to worst with those two being mentioned the most. There was a small minority who WANTED a forward over a defender, which was Pettersson from that crowd. I was in the defender comes first, but really only for Heiskanen (again, not because Makar sucks), after that I wanted Vilardi or Pettersson and still keep to that opinion.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You guys are mistaken, majority of people here wanted a defender, but specifically mentioned a forward if worst came to worst with those two being mentioned the most. There was a small minority who WANTED a forward over a defender, which was Pettersson from that crowd. I was in the defender comes first, but really only for Heiskanen (again, not because Makar sucks), after that I wanted Vilardi or Pettersson and still keep to that opinion.

Ok, I remember what you are talking about now. It makes more sense when you lay it out like that.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Petterson's was never on AVS fans' radar and was a bit of a surprise for everyone at #5.

You actually made me dig deep into the forum. Here's how we voted:

HFAvs 2017 DRAFT BOARD

1|Nolan Patrick|C|Brandon (WHL)|NA1|61.84%|
2|Nico Hischier|C|Halifax (QMJHL)|NA2|69.09%|
3|Miro Heiskanen|D|HIFK (Liiga)|EU4|60.56%|
4|Gabe Vilardi|C/RW|Windsor (OHL)|NA4|37.93%|
5|Cody Glass|C|Portland (WHL)|NA6|48.28%|
6|Casey Mittlestadt|C|Green Bay (USHL)|NA3|58.70%|
7|Owen Tippett|RW|Mississauga (OHL)|NA7|56.00%|
8|Timothy Liljegren|D|Rogle (Sweden)|EU6|34.00%|
9|Cale Makar|D|Brooks (AJHL)|NA9|34.21%|
10|Elias Petterson|C/LW|Timra (Allsvenskan)|EU2|57.69%|

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/hfavs-draft-board-31-35.2354753/

You're also free to take a quick look at what people were saying just days before the draft:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/the-2017-nhl-entry-draft-part-v.2353807/

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You do realize the level of small sample size hes talking about isn't going to be shown or disproven by polls of the entire board lol?

I think hes litterlly talking about maybe 3-5 people.

It's actually kind of funny. Everyone was giving people crap for talking about McAvoy as revisionist, now no one believes anyone wanted Pettersson?

Once he spelled it out for me, I remembered what he was talking about. Both parties are right in this I think.

Reactions: S E P H

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Petterson's was never on AVS fans' radar and was a bit of a surprise for everyone at #5.

You actually made me dig deep into the forum. Here's how we voted:

HFAvs 2017 DRAFT BOARD

1|Nolan Patrick|C|Brandon (WHL)|NA1|61.84%|
2|Nico Hischier|C|Halifax (QMJHL)|NA2|69.09%|
3|Miro Heiskanen|D|HIFK (Liiga)|EU4|60.56%|
4|Gabe Vilardi|C/RW|Windsor (OHL)|NA4|37.93%|
5|Cody Glass|C|Portland (WHL)|NA6|48.28%|
6|Casey Mittlestadt|C|Green Bay (USHL)|NA3|58.70%|
7|Owen Tippett|RW|Mississauga (OHL)|NA7|56.00%|
8|Timothy Liljegren|D|Rogle (Sweden)|EU6|34.00%|
9|Cale Makar|D|Brooks (AJHL)|NA9|34.21%|
10|Elias Petterson|C/LW|Timra (Allsvenskan)|EU2|57.69%|

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/hfavs-draft-board-31-35.2354753/

You're also free to take a quick look at what people were saying just days before the draft:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/the-2017-nhl-entry-draft-part-v.2353807/

Not true. At all. Dont make me go find all the posts again(I've already done it once), you wont like the outcome for your argument at all.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I didn't like Makar at all at the draft (that's well documented). My top 3 names for D were Heiskanen, Valimaki, and Foote, and the only other D in my top 15 was Liljegren. It was a very, very forward heavy draft, forcing a D pick in a draft like that is a terrible idea. I liked Glass, Pettersson, and Vilardi a lot in our range, but Heiskanen was my first choice and while it annoys me to no end that we couldn't get him, I didn't want to force a D pick when there was nobody else on D worthy of 4th OA in the draft. Even Valimaki, who I had in the top 10, wasn't on my radar at 4.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I didn't like Makar at all at the draft (that's well documented). My top 3 names for D were Heiskanen, Valimaki, and Foote, and the only other D in my top 15 was Liljegren. It was a very, very forward heavy draft, forcing a D pick in a draft like that is a terrible idea. I liked Glass, Pettersson, and Vilardi a lot in our range, but Heiskanen was my first choice and while it annoys me to no end that we couldn't get him, I didn't want to force a D pick when there was nobody else on D worthy of 4th OA in the draft. Even Valimaki, who I had in the top 10, wasn't on my radar at 4.

I still like Makar, don’t understand why his size is an issue? Heiskanen seems to be the overwhelming DMan choice, but he’s only 1” taller and nearly 15 lbs lighter.

Personally, I wanted Mittlestadt or Vilardi as forwards. If they really wanted a DMen, they should have traded down for Valimaki or Liljegren. Pettersson was the bottom Top 10 of my choices due to being extremely thin, not sure if this translates well to the NHL.

Timmins was a slight surprise, I fully expected the huge LHD Hague as the 2nd round choice.

Overall, still like the AVs picks and far too early to compare possible missed opportunities.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I still like Makar, don’t understand why his size is an issue? Heiskanen seems to be the overwhelming DMan choice, but he’s only 1” taller and nearly 15 lbs lighter.

Personally, I wanted Mittlestadt or Vilardi as forwards. If they really wanted a DMen, they should have traded down for Valimaki or Liljegren. Pettersson was the bottom Top 10 of my choices due to being extremely thin, not sure if this translates well to the NHL.

Timmins was a slight surprise, I fully expected the huge LHD Hague as the 2nd round choice.

Overall, still like the AVs picks and far too early to compare possible missed opportunities.
Fully agree with this. I'm going to laugh at all the Makar haters when he becomes one of the best offensive dmen in the league.

So that might be a little high expectations, but I don't see why there is any reason he can't be the D-man from his draft class, has all the skills and smarts to do so, just needs to put it together and that's up to him.

I can understand some people being skeptical, since he came from a minor league and now plays on a poor college team. But to say all these guys that were drafted after are going to be significantly better players than him is silly. There is no way to tell at this point who is going to end up where.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I actually don't think size will have anything to do with why Makar isn't going to live up to his draft position. His skill level was exaggerated by playing in an awful league, and when he gets to playing against players who are closer to his skill level, he won't be able to just coast on his talent to succeed. I question whether he will have the mental tools necessary to compensate for not being the best player on the ice every shift. He will probably be a good NHL player, but I'll write my prediction in ink that he will never live up to the hype and instead become just a #3 PMD similar to Barrie, with maybe better two-way play, but never able to hack it on the top pair. That's not what you draft somebody at 4OA to be.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I actually don't think size will have anything to do with why Makar isn't going to live up to his draft position. His skill level was exaggerated by playing in an awful league, and when he gets to playing against players who are closer to his skill level, he won't be able to just coast on his talent to succeed. I question whether he will have the mental tools necessary to compensate for not being the best player on the ice every shift. He will probably be a good NHL player, but I'll write my prediction in ink that he will never live up to the hype and instead become just a #3 PMD similar to Barrie, with maybe better two-way play, but never able to hack it on the top pair. That's not what you draft somebody at 4OA to be.

In a weak draft like last years, if we get a #3 PMD out of Makar, that's a very successful pick.

Reactions: avsfan09

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad