OT: 2018 Football Thread: Camp is (almost) here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Giants fan here. I don’t mind if we draft Barkley. The guy is a generational talent and there isn’t a generational QB in this draft for us. Franchise QB? Possibly. But I think Barkley is that good and worth picking up. And hopefully that’ll allow our pass game to open up a bit more.

And if it’s that bad of a pick, we’ll have another **** season and a high draft pick to get a QB. I think it’s safe to say Barkley is the best player in the draft. I’m very interested to see how things go. For all we know, the Browns could pick Barkley, then we’d have all the QBs to choose from or could trade down.

Either way, I’m excited for Thursday.

The problem isn't Barkley being a bad pick talent-wise. The problem is Barkley being good enough to get us to 8-8 and the overall team with a washed up QB not being able to be better.

8-8 is basically a nightmare scenario for us with an ancient Eli Manning and the QB class next year not looking remotely as good as this one.

Management f***ed up so bad last year allowing the Eli Manning fanboys to whine the team into not giving Webb reps. Mara was such a disaster.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Only way I could get on board with management picking Barkley over a QB is if:

1) they somehow think Webb is a sure bet to be a franchise QB (I have no idea how they could have reasonably come to this conclusion, but who knows).

2) they feel that none of the available QBs at #2 have a good shot at being a franchise guy.

If Eli was 2-3 years younger, Saquon would be my guy. But given the state of the team and the decline in play at the QB position, you need to pick Eli's successor at #2.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The problem isn't Barkley being a bad pick talent-wise. The problem is Barkley being good enough to get us to 8-8 and the overall team with a washed up QB not being able to be better.

8-8 is basically a nightmare scenario for us with an ancient Eli Manning and the QB class next year not looking remotely as good as this one.

Management ****ed up so bad last year allowing the Eli Manning fanboys to whine the team into not giving Webb reps. Mara was such a disaster.

I agree with the majority of your post, but let's not revise history here. Eli Manning, the best QB this franchise has ever seen, was benched for Geno Smith, not Davis Webb.

Pitching the fans on evaluating Webb in advance of a having a high pick in a QB-loaded draft class would be a hard sell, but many reasonable fans would understand. Instead, they inserted a guy with no future on the team, and no record of success at the NFL level, breaking the NFL's ironman streak in the process. Fans had every right to be enraged.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I agree with the majority of your post, but let's not revise history here. Eli Manning, the best QB this franchise has ever seen, was benched for Geno Smith, not Davis Webb.

Pitching the fans on evaluating Webb in advance of a having a high pick in a QB-loaded draft class would be a hard sell, but many reasonable fans would understand. Instead, they inserted a guy with no future on the team, and no record of success at the NFL level, breaking the NFL's ironman streak in the process. Fans had every right to be enraged.

Who said anything about revising history? We saw that Geno Smith, the most replacement level player on the planet, easily matched Manning's production and with a ton of rust on him. I think you misread my post. I never said that Manning wasn't benched for Smith. I said that Webb wasn't given a shot because the staff was fired and Mara had no balls and caved to the whining fanboys.

Who cares what the fans had to say? The season was over. The idea that we had to see an ineffective Eli Manning trotting out there and fumbling the ball regularly while we waste valuable time to see how Webb handles game speed because we needed to placate whining fans is exactly why Mara dropped the ball. He was a feckless coward. Mara deserves every bit of shit that he gets for not asking for Webb to get reps.

He allowed a lame duck coach to try and save his job while placating whiners at the expense of evaluating Webb. It was one of the lamest decisions I have seen this side of the Josh Brown fiasco.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Only way I could get on board with management picking Barkley over a QB is if:

1) they somehow think Webb is a sure bet to be a franchise QB (I have no idea how they could have reasonably come to this conclusion, but who knows).

2) they feel that none of the available QBs at #2 have a good shot at being a franchise guy.

If Eli was 2-3 years younger, Saquon would be my guy. But given the state of the team and the decline in play at the QB position, you need to pick Eli's successor at #2.

I'd be cool with Barkley if we knew that Webb was the guy, too. Heck, Barkley would be a great weapon for him. But due to Mara, f***ed if we know that at all.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Management ****ed up so bad last year allowing the Eli Manning fanboys to whine the team into not giving Webb reps. Mara was such a disaster.
This is why I can’t understand why y’all don’t just take Rosen at 2. Get a QB that can step into a situation with OBJ, Shep, and Engram. Then upgrade your O-line a bit and go from there.

Also, I agree with you Webb posts too. My Giants fans friends were pissed he didn't get a look

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This is why I can’t understand why y’all don’t just take Rosen at 2. Get a QB that can step into a situation with OBJ, Shep, and Engram. Then upgrade your O-line a bit and go from there.

Also, I agree with you Webb posts too. My Giants fans friends were pissed he didn't get a look

I mean, I’ll take Allen, Darnold, or Rosen. Hell, Mayfield if management is sold on him. We have a shot at securing the most important part of a team for a decade or more without giving up years worth of draft capital.

I sincerely hope Gettleman isn’t stupid with this pick. I’ll support whoever we pick, but they need to be smart.

Reactions: jas

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Well, they f***ed up with Webb. Could have at least saw if he has starter potential at the end of last season. Instead they used Geno. Mind-boggling decision making.

If Webb at least looked competent, they could have punted the "draft a QB for the future" decision until he was off his rookie deal.

At this rate, they have no choice. Draft a QB. You can find a guard, DE, RB, later in the draft. Either take a QB or trade down and get multiple assets this year and next year. I'd lean towards trading down.

The top 5 of this draft could easily be:

Darnold (Browns), Rosen (Giants/Jets), Allen (Giants/Jets), Barkley (Browns/Broncos), and Chubb (Browns/Broncos).

If the Colts are in fear of missing out on Chubb or Barkley, and Giants are not taking either one of them (want a QB or the top guard), I'd be in talks with them to move to 6. The Giants would get #6, the Colts have 3 2nds this year, and two next. Get some of those.

Let them take one of Chubb or Barkley at 2. Jets go QB. Browns take whoever is left with Chubb/Barkley, and the Broncos could get the last QB. Giants take the guard at 6 with multiple assets being added. You could move back into the end of R1 and take a QB or wait until day 2 and get someone at front end of the 2nd round.

As a Jets fan, the Giants are in an venous position of being able to move down and get their guy and another QB option. The Jets have pinned themselves into the "draft a QB or the fans revolt" spot.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
If they draft Barkley it will because they are sold Odell is a moron and they will get rid of him after this year. My guess is they are praying he has a huge year. Then they will get 2 number 1's and a second. They didn't get that for him because he was hurt last year. They will then use those picks to trade up for a QB next year if Webb isn't the future. Either way, Beckham is not a DG guy. It's freakin obvious.

NYRPat21

Jan 1, 2010
Ridge, New York
I'm surprised how many of you are so against getting Barkley.

It’s not that Barkley isn’t a great player, he obviously is and if the Giants take him I’m sure he’ll be great here. Thing is taking an RB that high in a great RB draft when there are arguably 3-4 really good QBs at the top of the draft and you have a 37 year old declining QB it should be a no brainer. And you can’t reasonably say that Webb is the answer when they wouldn’t even activate him on game days. The videos of him throwing in shorts indoors doesn’t do it for me haha.

I think the Barkley stuff is a smokescreen to be honest. Why would Gettleman shower praise on this guy over and over again? It’s dumb if you actually plan on taking him. I just don’t see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad