2018 F1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Anyone know much about this France circuit?

Watched the track guide and it looks like there's a couple of long enough straights but the rest seems like there will be a lot of dirty air with all those long sweeping corners

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Anyone know much about this France circuit?

Watched the track guide and it looks like there's a couple of long enough straights but the rest seems like there will be a lot of dirty air with all those long sweeping corners
Yeah, most of the track is high speed corners, a killer for racing with these current F1 cars. The track itself seems fun, it was on some PS3 game I had years ago (Ferrari Challenge?).

Unless it rains, the race is going to be another 5 second gap snooze fest.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
All that paint in the track run off areas make me dizzy. Have no idea how the drivers are picking up the braking markers and pylons on the turns.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
GP3, a class that's usually filled with overtakes on any track not named Monaco, had like max 5 overtakes during the 20 laps Saturday race after the first corner.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Would've been a usual boring 2018 race without Vettel & Bottas going through the pack. Leclerc continues to impress, could've finished a spot higher without that one mistake going wide and Sauber keeping him out for too long on ultras.

How the hell did Magnussen get away with cutting the first corner though? He gained like 5 spots with that corner cut and no investigation..

HammerTime44

Flyers-Phillies-Packers-LH44
Feb 11, 2014
Philadelphia
Would've been a usual boring 2018 race without Vettel & Bottas going through the pack. Leclerc continues to impress, could've finished a spot higher without that one mistake going wide and Sauber keeping him out for too long on ultras.

How the hell did Magnussen get away with cutting the first corner though? He gained like 5 spots with that corner cut and no investigation..
I think Magnussen gave those spots back right away. They showed a replay of him slowing after he cut the corner.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think Magnussen gave those spots back right away. They showed a replay of him slowing after he cut the corner.
Doesn't look like he intentionally slowed down to me, there was a curb on the path where he cut across and he couldn't accelerate over it. He also didn't let Leclerc & Raikkonen through, two guys who would've been ahead of Magnussen had he stayed on track.

The only reason Magnussen cut the corner was because he didn't want to lose places, there was no immediate danger of crashing that required him to take the path he did. That's clear cut "leaving the track and gaining an advantage". Considering how close Magnussen and Leclerc were pace wise throughout the race, I'm surprised Sauber didn't complain about it.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
The chicane nobody wanted turned out to be an easy spot for overtaking so I'm sure they'll look at keeping it for next year despite earlier driver complaints. Have to disagree SoupyFIN, there were multiple spots on the course for competitive racing. The cars didn't seem to have as much trouble following each other and making a move as compared to other courses for whatever reason.

Have to agree with Max about Vettel and a double standard to a certain degree. However, win multiple championships and that double standard goes away.

Also about KMag, like Hammer said above Sky showed him giving back the spots except to the drivers he was fighting so that was clean. The stewards looked at the first lap for an hour so they obviously agreed.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Dge5XL2WAAEFH50

Also, the monkey trophy sucks. Sorry France.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
It was only a poor race as far as the leaders were concerned because of the Vettel and Bottas incident at the first corner. Max did really well to keep the gap to Hamilton as close as it was because I don't think Red Bull had the pace at all this weekend to challenge Mercedes, in previous years Hamilton would have been long gone with at least a 25+ second gap at the end. I doubt Bottas would have tried to challenge Hamilton for the lead and he probably would have backed off a bit resulting in a decent fight for 2nd with Vettel and then if Vettel got past he could have gone on to challenge for the win.

I didn't really find any of the overtaking in the midfield or coming through the pack to be that exciting to be honest, it seemed to be almost too easy to pass going into the chicane with DRS and they were getting passed before the braking zone. It was a boring race simply because the challengers just didn't have the pace to keep up with Hamilton in the Mercedes. The midfield showed that it was possible to follow, Hamilton was just too quick compared to the Red Bulls to make it interesting and his main competitors had that first corner incident.

Last edited:

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I didn't really find any of the overtaking in the midfield or coming through the pack to be that exciting to be honest, it seemed to be almost too easy to pass going into the chicane with DRS and they were getting passed before the braking zone. It was a boring race simply because the challengers just didn't have the pace to keep up with Hamilton in the Mercedes.

You'll hate 2019-2020 with an expected 25-30% increase in DRS impact due to the new aero rules.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
You'll hate 2019-2020 with an expected 25-30% increase in DRS impact due to the new aero rules.

The thing is that DRS is good depending on the context. It's good when you've got the lead cars close enough to each other to take advantage of it and the lead changing hands a few times from on-track overtakes would be exciting. When it's the midfield just easily passing each other it's quite boring.

I'm all for it as long as the quickest car isn't too quick compared to their rivals, which is the main problem we've had most of the time since 2014 at a given track. Because it's no good having that much DRS effect if you can't get in DRS range in the first place.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009

Also, good on Renault for marking the end of the Saudi ban on women driving by letting her behind the wheel in the pre-race parade.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
People are actually agreeing with Verstappen?

The difference between Vettel and Verstappen is Vettel made a mistake, and Verstappen didn’t bother learning from his mistakes until he was called out.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I didn't really understand the 3 grid spot penalty to Vettel for impeding Sainz in Q2 since Sainz advanced to Q3 anyway. That's some important points that Vettel may have lost with that penalty.

If Crashjean can't finally score his first points tomorrow starting fifth, guy should just quit.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I didn't really understand the 3 grid spot penalty to Vettel for impeding Sainz in Q2 since Sainz advanced to Q3 anyway. That's some important points that Vettel may have lost with that penalty.

If Crashjean can't finally score his first points tomorrow starting fifth, guy should just quit.
He still held Sainz up. It doesn't matter whether he made the Q3 or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad