2018 F1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
That was bizarre, I don't really know who to blame because what Albon did is the line I take when I play the game to make sure I don't hit the wall :laugh: racing incident I think
Yeah, I'd say racing incident too.

Technically Albon was at fault for not taking the line (he received a penalty after the race), but de Vries was way too greedy and went in with too much speed. Basically he tried to win a couple seconds and ended up costing himself the whole race, along with shooting himself in the foot for the Saturday sprint race.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
First European race I completely missed (live) in years, I can't actually remember when was the last time.. 2010 or 2011 maybe?

Looking at the results and race reports, I didn't miss much. 78 laps of Trulli train.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
You didn't miss anything, the race was won on Saturday as usual. Ricciardo deserved to win, but that slow pace with a broken car was very dull.

Better racing coming up with the Canadian GP.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
It's a sad indictment of the sport when Hamilton is crying "the pace is slow" but he's still staying over a second behind the car in front. If the pace is slow you can try to f***ing pass them then!

Also no significant crashes? BOOOOORING

Genuinely enjoyed the F2 sprint race more

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Ferrari chief designer is moving to Sauber in July. That just about makes Sauber the official junior team. Probably helps getting Ferrari cooperation in the 2021 regulation discussions in my opinion.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
It's a sad indictment of the sport when Hamilton is crying "the pace is slow" but he's still staying over a second behind the car in front. If the pace is slow you can try to ****ing pass them then!

Also no significant crashes? BOOOOORING

Genuinely enjoyed the F2 sprint race more

I don't think crashes is something to cheer for... I mean next week is Montreal and everyone is hoping to see some nice crashes on the wall of champions, but come on. I would have rather have Ayrton Senna compete for a few more years than see him die at San Marino.

In any event Hamilton has usually done very well in Montreal so he's probably not going to have much to complain about next weekened.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
If I'm reading this right, somewhere between 10-20 grid spot penalties depending on what they replace.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Apparently they added a third DRS zone for this weekend.

Between corners 7 and 8. Not sure it's really needed as we already see quite a bit of overtaking there anyway, but should be interesting.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Merc bringing engine updates for all teams. Renault the same but McLaren and Red Bull haven't confirmed whether all drivers will use it. Honda upgrade for STR. Ferrari updated at Monaco but only Ferrari used it all weekend...Haas and Sauber will apparently switch between the old one on Friday and then the new one for Saturday and Sunday to maximize lifespan. Haas new chassis, front wing floor and barge boards that supposedly will not fall off the car (no report as to whether it's Grosjean crash proof).

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Mercedes delaying power unit update this weekend until next race due to "issues". Williams, Mercedes, Force India will be only teams that haven't received an update this season.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Anyone going this weekend? Driving tonight afterwork from Ottawa. Such an event...BYOB is a beautiful thing. I'm hoping to not get caught in a near crush like last year to get to the podium celebration. They shove almost everyone from the turn 1 and 2 complex through one gate and it gets really sketchy. Scary really. Lots of screaming and pushing last year, kids getting squished etc.

But realistically I have a hard time seeing anyone other than Hamilton win this one unless there is brake issues or something.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Red Bull thinks they can reuse PU components and avoid grid penalties until next race for Ricciardo. That's good.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Anyone going this weekend? Driving tonight afterwork from Ottawa. Such an event...BYOB is a beautiful thing. I'm hoping to not get caught in a near crush like last year to get to the podium celebration. They shove almost everyone from the turn 1 and 2 complex through one gate and it gets really sketchy. Scary really. Lots of screaming and pushing last year, kids getting squished etc.

But realistically I have a hard time seeing anyone other than Hamilton win this one unless there is brake issues or something.
Someone that posts on here went last year, although I forget who it was. Maybe they'll respond to your question. Let us know how it went.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Someone that posts on here went last year, although I forget who it was. Maybe they'll respond to your question. Let us know how it went.
Just got in and parked at 24hr underground. Lots of plates from farther away than Tennessee!

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Ideal line-up for Williams should be Kubica and Wehrlein I think

I think they made a massive mistake choosing Sirotkin over Kubica, they sold us a fat one saying Sirotkin was faster in tests but I think that's rubbish and Kubica with his experience would be providing better feedback to improve the car

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... Is Wehrlein even noticeably faster than Stroll?

He was barely quicker than Erickson, who is getting throughly trounced by Leclerc.

Leclerc is quite gifted, don't get me wrong... But Saubers appears to have made quite a leap too, and probably have a better car than Wiliams , and certainly a much more driveable one, at this point (the other possibility? Leclerc is the most gifted driver to enter F1 since Vettel), Yet Erickson isn't doing better than Stroll (at least... really hard to compare with Sirotkin).

Werhlein really didn't look great last season. Then again, he might look better in a car that isn't 1 full second slower than every other one on the grid.

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
... Is Wehrlein even noticeably faster than Stroll?

He was barely quicker than Erickson, who is getting throughly trounced by Leclerc.

Leclerc is quite gifted, don't get me wrong... But Saubers appears to have made quite a leap too, and probably have a better car than Wiliams , and certainly a much more driveable one, at this point (the other possibility? Leclerc is the most gifted driver to enter F1 since Vettel), Yet Erickson isn't doing better than Stroll (at least... really hard to compare with Sirotkin).

Werhlein really didn't look great last season. Then again, he might look better in a car that isn't 1 full second slower than every other one on the grid.

The main reason I said Wehrlein is because it's the most realistic since he's a Mercedes man and they might give Williams some favours for having him. I think he is faster and he's got a bit more experience with 2 full years in F1 and testing with Mercedes, so he'd be a lot better for developing their car than Stroll who just complains a lot and doesn't seem to supply any constructive feedback.

Ericsson is a strange one, he's obviously doing something right if he's stayed in F1 this long as a pay driver at the back of the field. He's not fast but he isn't really that noticeably terrible and seems to be reasonably consistent.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I felt so bad for that damn groundhog. He should have been chased away. He just chilled the entire FP2 session before the final chicane. Then he went and killed himself.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Well, they've managed to make a usually great race into an unbelievably boring one. Monaco was boring, this was boring.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
The first half of the race was okay (by this year's standards), but even then you knew Vettel would just pit the lap after Bottas with the safe gap he had. And to no one's surprise Ferrari screwed up Raikkonen's strategy yet again, should've pitted him the lap Verstappen started catching up. I called it during the race when the gap started going down, how can you be this incompetent race after race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad