2018 Draft Thread (June 22nd, 7:30PM | June 23rd, 11AM)

Logical

Aug 25, 2015
Skull
He's a potentially strong NHLer though with upside that's pretty untapped due to not being in CHL
What? 1. He's never played in the NHL and should never be attributed that kind of remark unless he's Connor McDavid or Alexis Lafreniere. 2. What is untapped? How would someone be able to recognize untapped talent? Untapped means it's not there. Sidney Crosby has untapped basketball skills. 3. What do either of these points have to do specifically relating to playing in the OJHL?

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
What? 1. He's never played in the NHL and should never be attributed that kind of remark unless he's Connor McDavid or Alexis Lafreniere. 2. What is untapped? How would someone be able to recognize untapped talent? Untapped means it's not there. Sidney Crosby has untapped basketball skills. 3. What do either of these points have to do specifically relating to playing in the OJHL?

Well, let us take a closer look at what I posted: 1) The word "potentially" clearly indicates that I am quite aware that he's never played in the NHL. Sorry if I confused you. Also, to write "should never be attributed that kind of remark" is not only grammatically incorrect (a person cannot be attributed a remark unless that person was the one who says the remark) but do you really think only Connor McDavid or Alexis LaFreniere count as potentially strong NHLers? To me, you are making a "mere assertion" here far greater than the one I did. Please tell all the scouts who have ever stated that any player has the potential to be a strong NHL player are ALL WRONG and that you are right in saying that only McDavid and Lafreniere fit the bill. Please try.
(2) No, "untapped" does NOT mean it is not there - untapped means it is there but has not been utilized or released by design or intent. Look the word up, Logical.
(3) The points simply mean that the OJHL is not as strong a league to develop ones playing skills in - if you do not believe me, take a look at what many hockey writers or scouts have been saying: McBain would benefit (or would have benefited) by playing tougher competition in another league. I'm paraphrasing for you. Now if you do think the OJHL is a stronger developer of a player's talent than CHL leagues, please explain why you think so.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I’ve got my eye on Barrett Hayton. Kid impressed me tremendously in the OHL. Made a huge jump in his development this season compared to last’s. He is projected to go anywhere from 15th-25th. Right around our pick.

Highlights, enjoy:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Untapped potential means it's there but they aren't training right, don't have the right coach, haven't been utilized correctly... example Wild Bill. A lot of Ducks fans said he had a extra level he just didn't find it there. We felt it too until before the expansion draft. It was realized with the players he is with now. A lot of players with raw skill are considered guys with that untapped potential.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I’ve got my eye on Barrett Hayton. Kid impressed me tremendously in the OHL. Made a huge jump in his development this season compared to last’s. He is projected to go anywhere from 15th-25th. Right around our pick.

Highlights, enjoy:

That second clip is pretty unbelievable lol. Torts would say he has huge balls for pulling that off in a game

Reactions: CBJSTH

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
From Sportsnet's draft rankings as of yesterday:

10. Barrett Hayton, C, 6-foot-1, 190 pounds (Sault Ste. Marie, OHL): Continues to improve on a daily basis, he has undercover skill and is world-class when it comes to character. He’s a top-15 pick all day, but is helped by a weaker centre crop.

Sportsnet’s 2018 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: Lottery edition - Sportsnet.ca

I have seen him ranked lower but never at 18 in recent rankings. I doubt he is available when Jackets pick. Central Scouting has him 9th in North Anerican skater so at least 10th overall, 2018 Draft Prospect Rankings | NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

Here's a great site to see a bunch of rankings at one time

2018 NHL Draft Rankings

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Looking at that article, it becomes immediately clear that every pundit in the world will predict us taking one of Jesperi Kotkaniemi or Rasmus Kupari.
2 Americans, 2 Canadians 2 Swedes and 1 Czech

Jarmo definitely brings some variety to his first round selections.

Last edited:

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
I would think that Kotkaniemi is at least gone by the Blue Jackets draft point given that he has good all-around record and size.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
The lottery is done now the Jackets need to get a trade into a high draft position so that we can get a good goalie.

Why? No goalies have been drafted in the top 19 of a draft since 2010 anyways... No goalies evaluated for the 2018 NHL draft by Central scouting have been ranked as an "A" prospect or 1st round material. Most goalies are taken in the 2nd and 3rd round of the draft anymore anyways. I'd presume either the #1 or #2 goalie taken in this draft are there at our #2 pick if the Jackets even want to go that route... Even if you take a goalie high anyways, it takes goalies longer to develop anyways. They aren't going to be NHL ready by 2020 anyways.

Most people subscribe to the theory of "goalie voodoo".

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The lottery is done now the Jackets need to get a trade into a high draft position so that we can get a good goalie.
They have one in Danil Tarasov. Also, Elvis has a ton of promise. They will not trade up for a goalie. Bob is likely to be re-signed to a multi year deal (3 years?) and then allow one of the others to take over. Pipeline for CBJ isn't bad here.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Peter Thome had a decent rookie year for North Dakota as well (12 games, 2.31 GAA, 91.% save percentage).

This draft, there's a good chance a goalie isn't even drafted in round 1. Very few goalies go in the 1st round and odds are much higher that even those selected in the 2nd round don't pan out.

The CBJ picking up a goalie in the later rounds is fine, but they have a pipeline. If Elvis doesn't end up signing next season, a 2018 draft pick isn't going to step in and take over for Bob.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm still an Akil Thomas fan so far..

Interesting thing I'll watch for is how far Ryan Merkley drops in this draft.

Seems like a boom or bust guy to me.

Here's one guys take on Merkley:

Ryan Merkley

Ryan Merkley is, without question, one of the most highly skilled defencemen available in the 2018 NHL Draft.
Unfortunately, he’s also one of the most incomplete, as his growing defensive game has hindered his overall progression as a player.
In the offensive zone is where Merkley is the most potent, as his impeccable skating abilities and creativity with the puck allows him to generate high-quality scoring chances with relative ease. Further, Merkley owns a deceptive shot which he can float on-goal with regularity — an ability which creates havoc for opposing defenders due to the number of rebounds Merkley can create for his teammates. With this being said, it should come as no surprise to learn that Merkley recorded 54 assists and 67 total points in 63 games played with the Guelph Storm this season.
Merkley_AB50825-575x460.jpg

Merkley needs to balance his offensive flair and defensive deficiencies. (Photo by Aaron Bell/OHL Images)
However, if Merkley wishes to become a reliable defender at the NHL-level, he will need to learn to pair his offensive prowess with a much stronger and complete defensive game. Regularly caught in the midst of an offensive rush and unable to back-check in time, Merkley must work to improve his situational play and ensure his thirst for offence does not neglect his responsibilities on defence.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-30_4-41-20.gif
    upload_2018-4-30_4-41-20.gif
    35 bytes · Views: 1
  • upload_2018-4-30_4-41-20.gif
    upload_2018-4-30_4-41-20.gif
    35 bytes · Views: 1

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Yea.. Ryan Merkley is certainly a very dynamic offensive player with his skating, vision, and shot. He has a very nice highlight film... Honestly, you say "wow' quite a bit during the highlights.

But, Ryan Merkley from what I've read from fans on here and seen from draft analysts... Has a very lacking "compete factor to his game" at times. Sounds like he'll have games where he's not really interested in playing. From what I've read on here- He is a coaching nightmare with benchings and even being sent home from OHL trips. He had a +/- of -29 this year, worst on the team again. Even, Guelph fans on here seemed to be frustrated with him during their playoffs.

Interesting- His offensive play making ability make him seem like a top 5-top 10 pick in the draft with the potential. But, then you factor in the other issues. Honestly, Central Scouting had him as the 45th North American skater in their final 2018 NHL draft ratings, he was the 21st at the mid-term ranking. Imagine that, a 17 year old defenseman with 73 points in the regular season and playoffs combined in the OHL that is being ranked that low per them

Granted, the Jacket's won't have any interest in Merkley... But, how far does he drop before a team takes a chance on him?

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Merkley and Akil Thomas are two examples of how do you gauge best player available?

Merkley has enough talent to be a top 5 pick but perhaps a lack of a toolbox and perhaps emotional/motivation issues. He was suspended 3 games for taking his stick and swinging at a player because he was frustrated.

Thomas is an assistant captain, hardworking type player who puts up big numbers in juniors but there are questions his scoring ability translates to the NHL. Maybe he ends up a top 6 player but if he doesn't, he'll be a Calvert type winger who skates hard on every shift and coaches love him.

From what scouts have said, it seems like most teams won't waste a 1st rounder on Merkley since they want a player who will at least eventually help their team, but odds are he goes in the first 5 picks of the 2nd round since the talent is there.

I would rather the Jackets take a chance on talent and skill in the 1st round and if Merkley's issues were simply lack of defensive ability he might be worth the risk. But swinging a stick like a baseball bat as part of a long list of issues showing he struggles handling frustration shows that he doesn't belong anywhere near Torts and the Jackets. Hopefully he can land in a good program where he gets a lot of coaching and support.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
In my mind we have just one need from top to bottom in our system: high-end skill. Draft accordingly. We have plenty of depth players and potential depth players. Need to swing for the fences in this draft IMO. Not interested in safe picks.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm still a BPA guy in the first round and look for home run potential after that. You can trade players to make room or address roster needs. Continue to build the talent pool.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Seems like a boom or bust guy to me.

Here's one guys take on Merkley:

Ryan Merkley

Ryan Merkley is, without question, one of the most highly skilled defencemen available in the 2018 NHL Draft.
Unfortunately, he’s also one of the most incomplete, as his growing defensive game has hindered his overall progression as a player.
In the offensive zone is where Merkley is the most potent, as his impeccable skating abilities and creativity with the puck allows him to generate high-quality scoring chances with relative ease. Further, Merkley owns a deceptive shot which he can float on-goal with regularity — an ability which creates havoc for opposing defenders due to the number of rebounds Merkley can create for his teammates. With this being said, it should come as no surprise to learn that Merkley recorded 54 assists and 67 total points in 63 games played with the Guelph Storm this season.
Merkley_AB50825-575x460.jpg

Merkley needs to balance his offensive flair and defensive deficiencies. (Photo by Aaron Bell/OHL Images)
However, if Merkley wishes to become a reliable defender at the NHL-level, he will need to learn to pair his offensive prowess with a much stronger and complete defensive game. Regularly caught in the midst of an offensive rush and unable to back-check in time, Merkley must work to improve his situational play and ensure his thirst for offence does not neglect his responsibilities on defence.
That kid looks like he's 13 years old and 140 pounds max. Plus character issues? No thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad