2018 Draft Thread (June 22nd, 7:30PM | June 23rd, 11AM)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Draft strategy at its finest: don't draft the position you need. Don't draft the best player available.

Make your own list of the players and where you project them as pros. Then when it's your turn, pick whoever is at the top of your list and still available.

I have often wondered about the BPA approach. It seems like BS to me and has just as much potential to screw you up as yield the truly best player. The way you explain it makes a lot of sense to me.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I have often wondered about the BPA approach. It seems like BS to me and has just as much potential to screw you up as yield the truly best player. The way you explain it makes a lot of sense to me.

Never been a fan of the BPA thoughts. Everyone should formulate their own opinions, that's how you weed out good scouts from bad scouts. You never know what each guy may see... say there's a bad snowstorm in Cranbrook BC and only a handful of scouts see a top prospect have his worst game. They may see something that isn't well known...

Imagine if Jarmo had gone popular consensus and taken Puljujarvi. If Dubois was playing like this in Edmonton, this board would implode.

Now imagine if Dougie Mac took Kopitar like his scouts wanted him to, instead of Brule...

Reactions: CBJFan827

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Since it’s draft related...

Dermott was a +16 with 13 points in 37 games with the Leafs this season.

Carlsson in the other hand...

Misfire Puck

May 6, 2010
Finland

Yeah it doesn't look good atm but it's quite early to say and european players usually take longer to adapt/develope.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Who cares. Both players just turned pro, nobody was saying anything when Carlsson played 2-3 playoff games last year. It's still so early.

Misfire Puck

May 6, 2010
Finland
Jesperi Kotkaniemi is a Finn at 6' 2" who plays C and seems to be available around our picking range. Any insight anyone?

I'm hoping we add another C to our prospect pool in the 1st round. Second choice would be a RD.
I do like his playstyle and attitude on ice. Isn't afraid of physical play and is also defensively responsible. Average skater IMO. I was sure he was going to be available somewhere between #15-25 but not so much anymore.
Only problem with him is that I don't see that much of upside in him, something between average 2C and good 3C.

I would try to trade up for Veleno. Other player I like is McBain.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Dalton Prout was a +15 once. Dermott is obviously better but the point is wait until people have played more than half of an NHL season in their career before labelling winners and losers or pumping your own tires for looking like youll be right once to the 30 times you are wrong

Reactions: Jackets Fan

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Bobrovsky must feel like a coach. Win and get none of the credit, lose and take all of the blame. If people want better draft picks then yes, moving Bob will certainly achieve that

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Eh, I don't feel like greatly critiquing that 2015 NHL draft... For goodness sakes, we drafted Werenski, Nutivaara, Gavrikov, Carlsson... Shoot, many of us thought Carlsson was ready to be playing in the NHL this year at the beginning of the year.

Stenlund has had an ok career in the SHL and still could become a #3 center someday in the NHL if he shows further development. Kolesar was upgraded into a mid 2nd round pick that was used on Texier.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Dalton Prout was a +15 once. Dermott is obviously better but the point is wait until people have played more than half of an NHL season in their career before labelling winners and losers or pumping your own tires for looking like youll be right once to the 30 times you are wrong
I remember in my early days as a hockey fan quietly lamenting our having picked Derick Brassard in the draft when we could have had the obviously better performing Peter Mueller instead.

Misfire Puck

May 6, 2010
Finland
You like a projected late-late 1st rounder/2nd rounder for the 18th pick? There would be more productive CHL players than him available where we pick.
I just stated that I like him. Doesn't mean that I want Jarmo to pick him with 18th pick.

If we are looking draft rankings and players that are projected to be picked 17-19th spots then it's pretty meh for me.
Other thing is that teams draft rankings usually look very different compared to consensus BPA draft rankings.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
[QUOTE="Misfire Puck, post: 145215079, member: 102714"Other thing is that teams draft rankings usually look very different compared to consensus BPA draft rankings.[/QUOTE]

I think you're right. Jarmo has definitely exhibited that in some of his picks. Personally I don't believe it is possible to determine BPA after you get past the very top of the draft. It has to go the way you describe it.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
You like a projected late-late 1st rounder/2nd rounder for the 18th pick? There would be more productive CHL players than him available where we pick.

I'm not sure he's projected properly, but until rankings change I would have to agree that there are other picks to use #18 on. He's a potentially strong NHLer though with upside that's pretty untapped due to not being in CHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad