2018 Draft Thread (June 22nd, 7:30PM | June 23rd, 11AM)

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Jesperi Kotkaniemi is a Finn at 6' 2" who plays C and seems to be available around our picking range. Any insight anyone?

I'm hoping we add another C to our prospect pool in the 1st round. Second choice would be a RD.

I think there's a good chance he goes in the top 10-15 picks due to the lack of centers at the top of the draft. On the bright side a really good D could fall into the Jackets range.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Kinda small for a D?

Really smart with and without the puck.

He'll need some work, but he's not dissimilar to Morgan Rielly. Very good skater, incredible on his edges, very good with the puck on his stick. He transitions and pivots without losing speed, and is one of the best passers in the Western hockey league. Already, at only 17.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I kinda think we need some W depth right now. Really outside of Abramov who I don't think pans out because he just doesn't seem physical enough on the puck we don't have much. The Fin C that EspnK mentioned whose name I can't spell was who I did want but no way he falls to us.

@Soreloser do you have any thoughts on USA guys who would be a good choice between 15-25? Last year I think it was you who mentioned Yamamoto to me and after I saw him play a few games he was my guy I wanted. Hoping you have a few to check out.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I kinda think we need some W depth right now. Really outside of Abramov who I don't think pans out because he just doesn't seem physical enough on the puck we don't have much. The Fin C that EspnK mentioned whose name I can't spell was who I did want but no way he falls to us.

@Soreloser do you have any thoughts on USA guys who would be a good choice between 15-25? Last year I think it was you who mentioned Yamamoto to me and after I saw him play a few games he was my guy I wanted. Hoping you have a few to check out.

To be honest, this is really the first time in probably 15 years that I can't give you an accurate ranking of the entire draft. A couple of years ago I hit 27/30 first rounders. But my career has taken off and I have three daughters under 9. It's just busy, haha.

Kjell Samuelsson's kid immediately comes to mind. But he's a defenseman like his dad, so I don't think he'll be on our radar. Unless one of the higher end guys fall into our laps or we go outside of the box, Farrabee (mentioned above) may be the only other US kid in that range.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Jesperi Kotkaniemi is a Finn at 6' 2" who plays C and seems to be available around our picking range. Any insight anyone?

I'm hoping we add another C to our prospect pool in the 1st round. Second choice would be a RD.
Knowing nothing about the guy, I have to admit I reflexively roll my eyes any time anyone talks about us potentially picking a Finnish player in the draft. We've been wide predicted to take a Finn in the first and/or second rounds literally every single year since Jarmo was hired, and yet that's never happened - even when it was supposed to be "inevitable" in 2016.

That said, getting a decent C would be a Good Thing in principle.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Grigori Denisenko might be a good pick and could be available in that range (but it's always difficult to figure out where Russians will go). He's a highly skilled, very quick winger with sick hands. He's a little undersized and inconsistent, but he's still only 17 (June birthday). The question is how will he develop and will he be able to make the transition. Denisenko's upside is Panarin. Or, he's one of those Russians who stays in the KHL. That's where having a player like Panarin as a role model can help.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Kravstov too, has a bit more size to add to his skill. Ive seen him ranked anywhere from mid to late 1st but apparently thats just in part to not representing Russia yet and a lack of exposure in some peoples opinions

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I'm still leery on drafting Russians in the high rounds. For every Tarasenko there seems to be a Filatov ... and our track record with these guys isn't the greatest.

Reactions: niflheim

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm still leery on drafting Russians in the high rounds. For every Tarasenko there seems to be a Filatov ... and our track record with these guys isn't the greatest.

That's where having Panarin and Bob hopefully helps develop these players. A young forward sees how successful Panarin is and is willing to listen to him.

Drafting in the late 1st round tends to be higher risk players or lower reward players. At this point, what the Jackets need to do is be able to restock with high skilled rookies. Jarmo's been content to not rush players over to North America. There hasn't been that great of a track record of any Euro prospects coming to the AHL as a 18 or 19 year old. Denisenko or Kravstov are going to need a few more years in the KHL and letting them stay over there and develop. The NHL team that drafts them needs to trust that they'll come to the NHL when ready and not rush them. At this point, the Jackets have the luxury of time that they didn't with Filatov or Zherdev.

Reactions: Sore Loser

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Keep the 1st and 2nd rounder. Trade down in the 3rd and pickup a 4th.

1st round-center
2nd round-sniper
3rd round-defense
4th round-goalie
6th round-BPA
7th round-BPA

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Kravstov too, has a bit more size to add to his skill. Ive seen him ranked anywhere from mid to late 1st but apparently thats just in part to not representing Russia yet and a lack of exposure in some peoples opinions

I wonder if Kravstov will be a little bit of a riser in the draft... Seen he was scoring at about a point per game in the KHL during his brief playoff run. Kind of hard to know when Russians will go in the draft though.. I remember the Stars went really early on Denis Gurianov a few years ago when he was projected to fall much later to the 1st round if i recall.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I wonder if Kravstov will be a little bit of a riser in the draft... Seen he was scoring at about a point per game in the KHL during his brief playoff run. Kind of hard to know when Russians will go in the draft though.. I remember the Stars went really early on Denis Gurianov a few years ago when he was projected to fall much later to the 1st round if i recall.
yeah ive seen him at 7th actually i think inthe prospect section. But i think he will be interesting to follow where he goes. Could be a riser or could be another Kostin

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I know it's super early for mock drafts, but they are fun to look at and give ya names of people to look out for.

One player that's been mocked to us is a Center, Akil Thomas for the Niagara Ice Dogs. He's scored 88 points in 73 games in the OHL between the regular/post season. I like him so far from what I've seen.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I'm not for certain positions or BPA. I think it's pretty clear the Jackets and probably other teams have a mixture of both when drafting.

If your pretty even between two players on your draft board and your pretty weak in a specific player role or position, I tend to think that teams tend to take that into perspective. Not that I advocate "reaching" too far. I'd tend to run BPA as much as possible, especially if there's a pretty significant gap in your draft board between players...

It'd be interesting to watch exclusive, behind the scenes approach to draft day conversations honestly in the war-room, me thinks.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Draft strategy at its finest: don't draft the position you need. Don't draft the best player available.

Make your own list of the players and where you project them as pros. Then when it's your turn, pick whoever is at the top of your list and still available.

I believe that's how we have wound up with Dubois, Werenski, etc. It's a simple, effective strategy. Any draft rankings I have ever done work around this principle, regardless where everyone else has guys ranked. Sometimes guys are just good or bad and get ranked the same by everyone.

But the scouts that can pick the talent out of the rest... that's where the value lies. I think Jarmo and his team have that knack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad