Prospect Info: 2018 Draft Thread (STL #1 via WPG is 29th OA)

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If we don't win top10 pick we get can keep 2019 1st round pick. So if we don't get Tavares and miss also Stastny this team could suck even more next season then current one.

Isn't bad guys like Pietro, Schwartz, Schenn, Tarasenko waste another prime years in going back and forward.

I view best possible could be we suck now and get pieces what we can use for get real top6 forward + which would also give Tavares view that team is serious for wanting to win.

If you tank do it properly not half-assed. Hehe

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
So 2 starts in March for Jake and 2 solid performances. Clearly he needs to be cryogenically frozen and defrosted in March of every year.

One interesting tidbit on the LA Kings broadcast, they said in an interview with Allen, Jake stated that he prefers to play deep in his crease and relies on his athleticism. I found that interesting, I wouldn't have been one to call him that type of goalie.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
We're currently #14 spot, but I can't see how we can reach higher then #12 spot. Its sad to be Blues fan. My biggest goal is at off-season and then draft weekend.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
We're currently #14 spot, but I can't see how we can reach higher then #12 spot. Its sad to be Blues fan. My biggest goal is at off-season and then draft weekend.

It's going to be a long off season for us. We'll have to listen to Flyers fans go on and on about how they got a great 1st rd pick from us but we'll be rewarded at the draft with a trade and hopefully July 1st with a signed Tavares. DA was reportedly shopping for a center as an in season replacement for Stastny so we should be able to look forward to a trade and FA as our moves as opposed to getting excited about a draft pick. Personally I like that much better than a pick given the ages of our players.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
Here's what I'm looking forward to at the draft.

1. Trading Sobotka for a pick. He doesn't have any kind of movement clause, is relatively cheap and several teams would like him. Perhaps MTL with their 3-4 2nd rd picks would cough one up and if not them then someone will.

2. Trading for a top 6 forward. This is the move I'm most looking forward to and I'm sure many here share that sentiment. I know we'll be after Tavares but DA would be have to be an idiot to not have a backup plan at center if that doesn't happen. I think he's probably looking for a center to trade for as opposed to a winger with Fabbri and bunch of young wingers coming up as options. This will be similar to when he signed Stastny yet was reportedly still after Spezza that same off season. Apparently he offered the WPG 1st and another pick for a center but it didn't pan obviously. I think he'll be lots more aggressive at the draft and will be willing to move a prospect that perhaps he wasn't willing to move this year at the trade deadline.

Much like last draft I see us making the biggest splash via trade.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Here's what I'm looking forward to at the draft.

1. Trading Sobotka for a pick. He doesn't have any kind of movement clause, is relatively cheap and several teams would like him. Perhaps MTL with their 3-4 2nd rd picks would cough one up and if not them then someone will.

2. Trading for a top 6 forward. This is the move I'm most looking forward to and I'm sure many here share that sentiment. I know we'll be after Tavares but DA would be have to be an idiot to not have a backup plan at center if that doesn't happen. I think he's probably looking for a center to trade for as opposed to a winger with Fabbri and bunch of young wingers coming up as options. This will be similar to when he signed Stastny yet was reportedly still after Spezza that same off season. Apparently he offered the WPG 1st and another pick for a center but it didn't pan obviously. I think he'll be lots more aggressive at the draft and will be willing to move a prospect that perhaps he wasn't willing to move this year at the trade deadline.

Much like last draft I see us making the biggest splash via trade.

I like the first idea. The second one is a good backup plan but if you sign a center or trade for one at the draft, I'm pretty sure that will take DA out of the running for Tavares. My reasoning is, you already have Schenn and more than likely Thomas next season, so that's 2/3 of your starting top 9 centers. Where does that leave room for Tavares if you also trade for a top 6 C?

I think the week for talking to FAs is started at the draft or something like that, so maybe DA has a bead on that before the draft.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
I like the first idea. The second one is a good backup plan but if you sign a center or trade for one at the draft, I'm pretty sure that will take DA out of the running for Tavares. My reasoning is, you already have Schenn and more than likely Thomas next season, so that's 2/3 of your starting top 9 centers. Where does that leave room for Tavares if you also trade for a top 6 C?

I think the week for talking to FAs is started at the draft or something like that, so maybe DA has a bead on that before the draft.

My thought process here is that Schenn could easily be moved to RW if we were to trade for a center and sign Tavares. It never hurts to move a center to wing but the reverse is much tougher to pull.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
My thought process here is that Schenn could easily be moved to RW if we were to trade for a center and sign Tavares. It never hurts to move a center to wing but the reverse is much tougher to pull.
So a year after giving Schenn his shot at center which he did pretty well at, you're going to take him out of it? Seems odd. I don't personally mind, but I like Schenn at center so far.

Reactions: shifting

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
So a year after giving Schenn his shot at center which he did pretty well at, you're going to take him out of it? Seems odd. I don't personally mind, but I like Schenn at center so far.

Not necessarily. It certainly hasn't hurt Nashville loading up at center and shifting someone to wing. The idea is to have plenty of quality coverage at the center position when injuries hit.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Yeah, let's tick off Schenn more than he already is from the Stastny trade by moving him to the Wing. That will surely make him want to resign here.

Reactions: Mike Liut

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Looking at over-agers bc it might help to add somebody to the prospect pool who is “a year ahead” developmentally compared to the other draft-eligibles. It’s worked out ok with the Stevens pick so far.

A name that pops out is Logan Hutsko, currently the top-scoring forward for first-place Boston College. Just below PPG for a freshman is very good. He was passed over in his draft year bc he broke his leg (pretty badly apparently) and missed all but 2 games for the USDP. His U17 numbers were better than Nolan Stevens’ tho, our last overage college draftee. He’s smaller (5’10”), but he’s ranked in a spot - NHL Central has him at #123 - where he could be worth a late gamble.

Another guy is Jared Moe, who I’ve talked about before. He’s a big goalie (6’3”), who was coached in high school by our goalie development coach Dave Rogalski. His numbers in the USHL are terrific: 2.03GAA and .923sv%, ranking him as by far the best U19 goalie in the league. He’ll head to University of Minnesota next year, which will be good for him I think. He’s a guy we could stash away for a few years in NCAA and not worry about finding him a pro spot while Husso/Fitzpatrick get the games they need. Central Scouting has him as the 9th best goalie available in the draft this year, but in a weak goalie draft he could fall pretty far down (because teams are picking skaters instead of goalies).

Stephen Dhillon is still draft eligible this year too, so maybe we take a run at him as well.

Either way, if we’re hoping to accelerate the development curve a bit, picking some of these guys late would be a decent strategy.

Reactions: stl76

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The player I briefly profiled above, Logan Hutsko, was the lone unanimous selection for Hockey East’s All-Rookie team. Other players on that team were Cale Makar (4th OA, 2017), Shane Bowers (28OA, 2017), and Brady Tkachuk, who will probably go top 10 this year. That’s a terrific group, and for Hutsko to be the only guy the HEA deemed worthy across the board is pretty high praise.

Draft him, Barmstrong

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Dmen I would be thrilled to get with a later-round pick this summer (more or less in this order):

Caleb Everett
Ty Emberson
Joey Keane
Tyler Tucker
Alec Regula

And then manage to sign Daniel Brickley out of Minn State Mankato.

I would feel much better about our depth if we managed to walk away with 2-3 of those guys this summer.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I think there’s an opportunity to get “more for your draft dollar” by getting guys from outside the CHL who are college-bound, especially if they are headed to reputable programs. We have long been fond of guys who play college hockey in Boston, and if we can exploit a bit of a market inefficiency to get more guys like Nolan Stevens later in the draft, I’m all for it. Even late in the first, Tolvanen shows us that it’s possible to get more for your draft dollar there. With that said, here’s a list of guys we should be interested in, with their NCAA team next year listed. These guys are in the CCHL, USHL, or USHS leagues today, but have high potential based on their production and similar players’ production from the past who have gone on to do good things.

Jack McBain, C, Boston College
Jack Drury, C, Harvard
Brendan Budy, C, Denver
Slava Demin, D, Denver
Jacques Bouquot, LW, Boston College
Jay O’Brien, C, Providence
Patrick Giles, C, Boston College
Max Crozier, D, Providence
Jacob Bernard-Docker, D, NoDak
Austin Wong, RW, Harvard
Jack Lagerstrom, D, Cornell
Ty Emberson, D, Wisco
Logan Hutsko (OA), F, Boston College

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
From what little I’ve seen of Dellandrea, I’m not impressed. Couple that with him being the type of player we don’t need (likely a physical bottom-6er), and I prefer to completely avoid drafting him.
It’s moreso a playstyle thing, and I think we would be better off drafting a defender. If he falls to the 2nd then that’s a slightly different story, but I think a defenseman is still a better pick. We don’t really need to draft two-way forwards, IMO.

I'm curious, what do you see in Ty Dellandrea or his playing style that makes you want to avoid drafting him? He checks a lot of boxes for me on paper: RHS center with good size, good player on a bad team (so stats may be less impressive/not indicative of the player's quality), youngish for the draft (still 17 with a July birthday), etc.

Haven't seen him play live, so it's very possible I am missing something/not seeing certain parts of his game. But from highlights he seems to be a very good passer, skating is certainly not a negative, good shot, good hands, dangerous off the rush and on the PP, not afraid to crash the net (scores a lot of goals from in close). Also, over 50% on the dot this season with over 1400 FO's taken. Seems like a real solid young player.

Sounds like Dellandrea may be available around the late first/early second, and you may totally be right that it would be best for the Blues to take a defenseman in that range. But I think there's still a lot to like about Dellandrea...

Some Highlights (#53):

Reactions: Blueston

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I'm curious, what do you see in Ty Dellandrea or his playing style that makes you want to avoid drafting him? He checks a lot of boxes for me on paper: RHS center with good size, good player on a bad team (so stats may be less impressive/not indicative of the player's quality), youngish for the draft (still 17 with a July birthday), etc.

Haven't seen him play live, so it's very possible I am missing something/not seeing certain parts of his game. But from highlights he seems to be a very good passer, skating is certainly not a negative, good shot, good hands, dangerous off the rush and on the PP, not afraid to crash the net (scores a lot of goals from in close). Also, over 50% on the dot this season with over 1400 FO's taken. Seems like a real solid young player.

Sounds like Dellandrea may be available around the late first/early second, and you may totally be right that it would be best for the Blues to take a defenseman in that range. But I think there's still a lot to like about Dellandrea...

Some Highlights (#53):

I agree. Dellandrea isn’t my favorite guy in the draft by any means, but he’s a good player for sure. He is really really good at deflecting pucks, which is an element we don’t have anywhere in our system since Backes left. He reminds me of Stevens in a way, because he’s good in front of the net and can protect the puck well along the boards, but his wrister is strong enough that he can beat you from above the dots too. Right-handed shot, 200-foot player, good speed, good size.

I’m alright with taking a forward with the WPG pick, especially if it’s McBain or Dellandrea. Pietrangelo is the only dman we’ve drafted in the first round that has really worked out here, but Dunn, Eddy, Parayko, etc have all been found in the 2nd or 3rd. I don’t have any worries about finding a few good dmen this draft, and I tend to like some of the guys further down the draft rankings better anyways. I would be completely ok with turning our “big four” into a “big five” this draft, and worry about defense in the second and third rounds.

Reactions: Blueston

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I agree. Dellandrea isn’t my favorite guy in the draft by any means, but he’s a good player for sure. He is really really good at deflecting pucks, which is an element we don’t have anywhere in our system since Backes left. He reminds me of Stevens in a way, because he’s good in front of the net and can protect the puck well along the boards, but his wrister is strong enough that he can beat you from above the dots too. Right-handed shot, 200-foot player, good speed, good size.

I’m alright with taking a forward with the WPG pick, especially if it’s McBain or Dellandrea. Pietrangelo is the only dman we’ve drafted in the first round that has really worked out here, but Dunn, Eddy, Parayko, etc have all been found in the 2nd or 3rd. I don’t have any worries about finding a few good dmen this draft, and I tend to like some of the guys further down the draft rankings better anyways. I would be completely ok with turning our “big four” into a “big five” this draft, and worry about defense in the second and third rounds.
If we did decide to keep the Winnipeg pick, and Bill and the Boys draft a forward with it, I would be totally fine with Dellandrea. The more I read about him, the more I like him. Brock and a group of OHL scouts ranked Ty 9th in draft eligible OHL prospects. Check out these scouting reports:

OHL Prospects: Midseason Media/Scout Poll for 2018
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...for-2018-from-the-ohl.2452891/#post-141884839

Mark Scheig said:
Dellandrea is by far my fastest riser not only in the OHL, but in the entire NHL Draft. He in my book is a top-20 overall pick. His Central Scouting ranking most likely reflects on him playing on a poor Flint team. He's the star of the show in Flint and has played outstanding since the trades of Kole Sherwood, Ryan Moore and Nick Caamano. His best performances came in games against Sault Ste. Marie and Sarnia which includes a five-point game. What gives him a huge bump for me is his world-class attitude. He's handling a difficult situation well while improving his play. He projects as a future number-one center at the next level. Teams value character and skill. Dellandrea has both. He's a solid first-round pick for me.

Anonymous said:
My live viewings of Dellandrea early in the year left me a tad unimpressed, but he has been a lot better of late. He drives the net incredibly aggressively and does everything right on a team that struggles to do a lot of things. If he were playing on a more competitive team, he’d be a monster.

Mark Seidel said:
"Has very little to play with in Flint but keeps producing..Has put up 48 points on a depleted forward group...Plays away from the puck...Reminds me of Josh Bailey...Great leadership and compete levels and has become the future of the Firebirds.

Dylan Galloway said:
Scouts already know that Dellandrea is a smart two-way centre with good size. But in recent viewings not only has Dellandrea continued to be a consistent performer for the Firebirds in the defensive zone, he has also stepped up his game in the offensive zone as well. Dellandrea’s smarts and impressive skating allow him to get into position to either open himself up for a pass or create a passing or shooting lanes and get the puck on net with high effectiveness.

Corey Pronman also mentioned Dellandrea in his latest mailbag article for The Athletic:

Pronman Mailbag: Draft evaluations, prospect forecasts and...

Question said:
Jeff G: One prospect I have seen play a few times this year is Ty Dellandrea. I know he is projecting as a second-round guy, but curious what you thought of him? Also, does Flint being in the OHL basement hurt his overall stock?

Corey Pronman said:
Dellandrea’s a first-round guy for me. There were 20 teams at one of his games the other week. Good skater, skills, makes plays, can finish and a two-way forward. He’s not dynamic, but what’s not to like?

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I still think the talent the Blues should be looking at is not in North America. This draft is full of talented Europeans while the prospects from NA just don’t excite me nearly as much. Even top rated players like Hughes doesn’t really do much for me.

It’s entirely possible a player like Bokk can be where the Blues draft, and that’s a real talent the Blues could use.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad