Prospect Info: 2018 Draft Thread (STL #1 via WPG is 29th OA)

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I firmly believe that unless or until some of our Big 4 + Walman show they're going to bust over the next three years, we should be going boom/bust with our Top 2-3 picks each year. We're going to have depth in spades for a long time to come as long as these developing players turn out to have NHL floors, even if they don't hit their ceilings. We need to be looking for sleepers who have a chance to turn into game-breakers.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I still think the talent the Blues should be looking at is not in North America. This draft is full of talented Europeans while the prospects from NA just don’t excite me nearly as much. Even top rated players like Hughes doesn’t really do much for me.

It’s entirely possible a player like Bokk can be where the Blues draft, and that’s a real talent the Blues could use.

Bokk is a player I would absolutely love but I have serious doubts that he will still be around when the Winnipeg pick comes up. I have a feeling he is going to be gone by the mid teens.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Yeah some really interesting Euros in this year's draft. Count me in as well on Bokk, he's someone I'd definitely consider snagging.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
If the Blues keep the Jets first round pick, no question they should select BPA regardless of position. This would include prospects
from Europe and North America. Here's to the Jets dropping out of the first round in the playoffs.
Akil Thomas, Dalandrea, Filip Hallander, Bokk, McLeod, and even Kaut would all be good picks. Chances are good that if the Blues
keep the first round pick they will select a good prospect.

The 2nd and third rounds are loaded with players that the franchise can find developing talent. The Blues can build assets to use or trade
in the future. No matter what round they are selecting a team can't have enough good depth. You never know when a player can get hurt, traded,
or simply doesn't work out. Bill Armstrong has done an excellent job in building the depth of the roster and he should continue to do so.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
We tho need at least one 2nd or 3rd round pick at draft trade time. We've gone too many times safe picks in mid round picks, I wish we could go more for bloom or bust type of players.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If we did decide to keep the Winnipeg pick, and Bill and the Boys draft a forward with it, I would be totally fine with Dellandrea. The more I read about him, the more I like him. Brock and a group of OHL scouts ranked Ty 9th in draft eligible OHL prospects. Check out these scouting reports:

OHL Prospects: Midseason Media/Scout Poll for 2018
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...for-2018-from-the-ohl.2452891/#post-141884839

Corey Pronman also mentioned Dellandrea in his latest mailbag article for The Athletic:

Pronman Mailbag: Draft evaluations, prospect forecasts and...
Agreed. Would love to see us take him.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
What even is a boom or bust draft pick? I never understand what people mean by that. Isn’t that the definition of all draft picks? Or is it just a way of saying “get the guy with a good shot even if he sucks at everything else”? Because there really aren’t any of those guys in this draft class. Svechnikov is the only player in this class that was on pace for 100+ points, he’ll go top 5, but no other player in the CHL was even sniffing 90 points. Much less guys with that production that are falling because of their size or something (like Heponiemi). There is no “boom” to bust in this draft haha. Cole Fonstad is probably the closest thing to that this year, honestly.

Which is why drafting from leagues like the OJHL BCHL AJHL USHL or the USNDP is probably our best bet to finding the “diamond in the rough.” Get somebody who is going the NCAA route and can actually improve or at least prepare for the pro game. Those players actually exist.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What even is a boom or bust draft pick? I never understand what people mean by that. Isn’t that the definition of all draft picks? Or is it just a way of saying “get the guy with a good shot even if he sucks at everything else”? Because there really aren’t any of those guys in this draft class. Svechnikov is the only player in this class that was on pace for 100+ points, he’ll go top 5, but no other player in the CHL was even sniffing 90 points. Much less guys with that production that are falling because of their size or something (like Heponiemi). There is no “boom” to bust in this draft haha. Cole Fonstad is probably the closest thing to that this year, honestly.

Which is why drafting from leagues like the OJHL BCHL AJHL USHL or the USNDP is probably our best bet to finding the “diamond in the rough.” Get somebody who is going the NCAA route and can actually improve or at least prepare for the pro game. Those players actually exist.

These are just in my memory what I would love Blues go after mid rounds and view them boom or bust type of players.

Nikita Korostelev

Vitali Abramov

Aapeli Räsänen

Dmitri Sokolov

Nicolas Roy

Tyler Steenbergen

Otto Koivula

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
We tho need at least one 2nd or 3rd round pick at draft trade time. We've gone too many times safe picks in mid round picks, I wish we could go more for bloom or bust type of players.
I actually agree with this.

I honestly think it's asinine to take a player because "he has a higher chance to make the NHL" when after the 2nd round, the chance of that player reaching the NHL is absurdly low. What good is picking some "safe" player compared to a "boom/bust" player when both end up not making the NHL. I'd rather have the player that would actually contribute more if he were to make the NHL. Especially considering the "safer" picks will probably end up being journeymen bottom-6 players that could be had for cheap.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Tho, I don't know are those players excatly
'boom or bust' type of players, maybe just steals at those rounds where they were selected.

I just liked them at draft.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Tho, I don't know are those players excatly
'boom or bust' type of players, maybe just steals at those rounds where they were selected.

I just liked them at draft.

Yeah, that’s kind of my point. I don’t understand what “boom or bust” even means. Yakupov? Is that what people want?

My point is also that there *arent* those guys available this draft, really. Or if there are, I haven’t seen them yet.

I also wanted us to draft some of those guys, for the record. Korostolev and Roy seem to be the biggest “misses” in that group given who we took ahead of them though. Roy would be so much better to have in this group than Musil right now, for example.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
One common application of "boom or bust" label is to imply that a player will likely need to hit something close to his ceiling in terms of potential in order to be an NHL player.

Usually, it is attached to smaller players, as they are often considered riskier prospects than larger players.

One reason behind that is the "modern" conceptualization of bottom six players as checking/defensive/energy players. Those are generally physical roles, and smaller players are usually at a physical disadvantage relative to larger ones. That means that larger players who don't develop to the point where they can be top six contributors have a distinct advantage over smaller players who fail to develop into top six players when it comes to filling bottom six roles. Hence, smaller players are generally more "boom" (top six quality) or "bust" (non-NHL career) than larger players who have are more likely to fall into that bottom six safety net.

Health is another reason that smaller players are considered to be riskier, as they are generally considered to be at a higher risk for injury in a contact sport than larger players.

The thing is, as the game has evolved over the last decade or so, those concerns have started to become less relevant. The crackdown on obstruction and some other rule changes has opened up the game, which in turn has made it easier for smaller players to succeed in top six roles and to find places in the bottom six (as more teams are now attempting to roll three scoring lines). As a result, we're seeing more and more teams reevaluate their philosophies on drafting and developing smaller places. Less emphasis on physical play and hitting is leveling the injury risk playing field somewhat. Thus, using "boom or bust" in that context is starting to lose its meaning somewhat.

Personally, I tend to use the term to describe a prospect with one or two top six/four quality skills/abilities in place who have significant flaws to overcome before they can be considered quality prospects. The opposite would be a "safer" prospect who doesn't really have any fatal holes in their game, but who also doesn't have any impact skills or abilities...low ceiling, "high" floor types.

Reactions: Ranksu

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I would rather emphasize a players defensive play and play without the puck as factor in characterizing a player as "boom or bust". I may be in the minority here, but I would steer clear of a forward that oozes skill, yet shows no inclination to help out in his own end. I realize that defensive awareness can be taught, but it is the initial attitude that bothers me. I have always disliked players that do not contribute when they are not scoring. I tend, rightly or wrongly, to view them as "Prima Donnas" So, if it comes down to a choice between raw talent or playing a complete, well rounded game, I always favour the latter.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
One common application of "boom or bust" label is to imply that a player will likely need to hit something close to his ceiling in terms of potential in order to be an NHL player.
As a generalization, when I use the term "boom or bust" in this context, "boom" generally indicates a player that has achieved success beyond their perceived ceiling and "bust" generally indicates a player that fails to live up the expectations of their perceived floor. It is probably a sloppy way to describe a philosophy because it likely has a broad range of meanings depending on who is using the term.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Pronman has a short write-up on draft-eligibles Cole Fonstad and Jett Woo (woo!). It sounds like either of them could be good grabs for us.

Woo is a bit smaller than we like in our dmen, but he’s a righty, he’s got good skating, and he can move the puck. Check, check, check. He’s also, according to the scouts Pronman talked to, a physical “throw back” style defensive defenseman. Sounds like a skill set that would be ideal on our 3rd pairing behind Petro and Parayko.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Not a big fan of Jett Woo in the first round for sure. Saw him in October and he can move the puck and has that pesky nature, but there is something not complete with his game defensively. It was early on in the WHL season . He seems like a safe 3rd round paring and that's I
guess what I don't want to see in a first round or early second round pick. Just my opinion.
I get the need for a RHD prospect, but feel that could he dealt with later in the draft securing a third pairing prospect.

When I think of boom or bust prospects in this draft I look at Sherron Noel. 6'5" over 200. Tall and a great skater yet totally raw. Some nights physical, some nights passive. Some nights fully engaged others out of position on the ice. Will he put it all together? Can he play at a consistent
level? Looks like he will go in the first round and you can't teach size or skill, but will he develop into a top 6 player in the NHL?

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I personally would love the Blues to draft Cole Fonstad. I’ve been following him more closely since the Top Prospects game and I love his upside. He’s going to be the Morgan Frost of this draft IMO.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Kaut. He's a big riser though, so he likely won't be there if/when the Blues pick (I still think the Blues will trade the Winnipeg 1st).

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Not a big fan of Jett Woo in the first round for sure. Saw him in October and he can move the puck and has that pesky nature, but there is something not complete with his game defensively. It was early on in the WHL season . He seems like a safe 3rd round paring and that's I
guess what I don't want to see in a first round or early second round pick. Just my opinion.
I get the need for a RHD prospect, but feel that could he dealt with later in the draft securing a third pairing prospect.

When I think of boom or bust prospects in this draft I look at Sherron Noel. 6'5" over 200. Tall and a great skater yet totally raw. Some nights physical, some nights passive. Some nights fully engaged others out of position on the ice. Will he put it all together? Can he play at a consistent
level? Looks like he will go in the first round and you can't teach size or skill, but will he develop into a top 6 player in the NHL?

Oh absolutely, don’t get me wrong, I’m not high enough on Woo to take him in the 1st or 2nd. That’s where a lot of scouting agencies have him, but Pronman was saying that he should be a mid-rounder, and I’d be happy taking him in there.

Noel would be good too, but again, I’d rather have other guys ahead of him in the first or second, where he’ll likely go. I’d rather have McBain, Dellandrea, or (crossing my fingers) Thomas than Noel in the first, and that’s not considering the dmen I’d rather have too. I’d be happy with him as a second rounder, but I’d be happier if he wasn’t our only second round pick.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I know he's not living up to the unworldly potential placed upon him two years ago, but Jake Wise might be the most underrated player in the draft. I seriously hope the Blues look at him as an option.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
I agree would rather have Delandrea and Akil Thomas over Noel for sure as well. Also, really like Filip Hallander .

My point mentioning Noel was really about his inconsistent play and that for me is along the lines of the boom or bust
conversation. Noel is an enigma as he has crazy height yet is so raw. With Noel at the end of the day I probably pass on him over others in the first round. It could be a mistake, yet to me it's a real unknown if he can put it all together.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Ive always been a BPA guy, but im getting a little concerned about the D depth in the organization. Can you find me Parayko or Edmundson’s twins in rd 1? Or Dunn? Id take all three of those guys in rd 1 this year....obviously.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Ive always been a BPA guy, but im getting a little concerned about the D depth in the organization. Can you find me Parayko or Edmundson’s twins in rd 1? Or Dunn? Id take all three of those guys in rd 1 this year....obviously.
I've one who has Parayko wheels + Edmundson nastiness, but he's LD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad