Prospect Info: 2018 Draft Thread (STL #1 via WPG is 29th OA)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I stand by it! He can skate, he can pass, he can stick handle and IMO he has the second best shot in this draft behind Zadina. Personally I think he is the next best forward outside of the top 3 of Zadina, Svechnikov and Tkachuk. I would be utterly shocked if he is still there somewhere in the mid to late 20s where I expect the Jets pick to land.
I know absolutely nothing about this draft class lol. Got some homework to do

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Am i the only one that thinks we need to draft a D? I'd take a good LD or RD prospect but we need to get some more defensive depth in our system.

F: Thomas, Thompson, Kostin, Kyrou, Sanford, Blais, Foley, Stevens, Toropchenko

D: Walman...

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Am i the only one that thinks we need to draft a D? I'd take a good LD or RD prospect but we need to get some more defensive depth in our system.

F: Thomas, Thompson, Kostin, Kyrou, Sanford, Blais, Foley, Stevens, Toropchenko

D: Walman...
Mikkola, Borque and Noel

We do need some righties though

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We'll need more defensive prospects, but they definitely aren't a major need. Assuming we resign Petro and Edmundson longer term, then you have Dunn and Parayko to add in, so we have a top 4 that is set in stone for years, and then just sprinkle in some vets.

Now, we should still draft defensemen, but we still should focus on getting as many high potential forwards in as possible because only so many of them will develop and we need more talent up front.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I would also add Jared McIsaac to that list. One of the safest defenseman on the board. Probably never a top pairing guy but pretty safe bet to be #3 or #4

A quick browse over the last 24hrs and he stood out to me as well.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'm really happy that we go downhill and don't get change for playoff run it only means Army have to make changes for team at off-season.

Sell players for pick(s). Give Bill Armstrong all the tools for draft as many as possible.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
This draft is very deep defensively. Not just in the first round but bleeding well into the 2nd round. I would like to see the Blues pick up a few more picks if not in the first, then in the second as their is still going to be a lot of talent there.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
This draft is very deep defensively. Not just in the first round but bleeding well into the 2nd round. I would like to see the Blues pick up a few more picks if not in the first, then in the second as their is still going to be a lot of talent there.
I agree. I’ve thought this draft is deep, it’s just the talent is either not reaching expectations, but still good (Milos Roman, Jake Wise), or the talent is in Europe and is hard to get good viewings of.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I think the 1st rounder we received will be traded, no doubt. Armstrong has a ton of work to do this offseason, and this 1st will help to bring in a player like Hoffman. I love draft night (it's like Christmas for me), but I don't see how Armstrong keeps this pick. And if we get into the top 10 with our own pick? Oh boy, Armstrong will have a lot of ammo to make some serious moves.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
From what little I’ve seen of Dellandrea, I’m not impressed. Couple that with him being the type of player we don’t need (likely a physical bottom-6er), and I prefer to completely avoid drafting him.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
From what little I’ve seen of Dellandrea, I’m not impressed. Couple that with him being the type of player we don’t need (likely a physical bottom-6er), and I prefer to completely avoid drafting him.

Not everybody you draft is going to be a 1C. If you want that in the late 1st, draft McBain and light a candle. For a 2nd round pick, Dellandrea is a good option. He’s on the worst team in the OHL, there’s a good chance he isn’t next year, and his raw skills are pretty ok. Just look at what Fitzpatrick is doing on a better team: who you play with matters a ton for your numbers, but it doesn’t necessarily say what you’re capable of doing

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Not everybody you draft is going to be a 1C. If you want that in the late 1st, draft McBain and light a candle. For a 2nd round pick, Dellandrea is a good option. He’s on the worst team in the OHL, there’s a good chance he isn’t next year, and his raw skills are pretty ok. Just look at what Fitzpatrick is doing on a better team: who you play with matters a ton for your numbers, but it doesn’t necessarily say what you’re capable of doing
It’s moreso a playstyle thing, and I think we would be better off drafting a defender. If he falls to the 2nd then that’s a slightly different story, but I think a defenseman is still a better pick. We don’t really need to draft two-way forwards, IMO.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It’s moreso a playstyle thing, and I think we would be better off drafting a defender. If he falls to the 2nd then that’s a slightly different story, but I think a defenseman is still a better pick. We don’t really need to draft two-way forwards, IMO.

I agree with the defenseman part. Unless we are adding more legit centers (I.e. McBain), dmen are probably the right play.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Will any quality RHD be available late in the first? I think that's the side we need to bolster if we are going D. Petro is a UFA in two years and Parayko is our only other true top end RHD. We really don't have anyone else who could even be a solid 2nd pairing RHD (unless Walman or Dunn can switch sides). I don't think Schmaltz can play reliable second pairing minutes.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Why is McBain the “legit” center spec. Watched him live multiple times, yeah he has size and some skill but he’s one of if not my biggest 1st round red flags. He really doesn’t dominate in the OJ at all, he chose to stay to play w/ friends when he could’ve been challenging himself more and developing in the OHL. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him drop into the 2nd.

Side note: w/ the Winnipeg pick(if we keep it) I think Dominik Bokk would be a fantastic pick anywhere between 24-31

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Why is McBain the “legit” center spec. Watched him live multiple times, yeah he has size and some skill but he’s one of if not my biggest 1st round red flags. He really doesn’t dominate in the OJ at all, he chose to stay to play w/ friends when he could’ve been challenging himself more and developing in the OHL. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him drop into the 2nd.

Side note: w/ the Winnipeg pick(if we keep it) I think Dominik Bokk would be a fantastic pick anywhere between 24-31

I think it’s pretty unfair to say he stayed in the OJ because he wanted to be with friends, as if that was really such a bad thing anyways. Canadians who want to go the US college route don’t have the CHL as an option. Cale Makar did the same thing last year and went 4th overall. Jake Walman did the same thing too. It happens all the time, it isn’t some indictment of their work ethic or anything. He’s going the college route, he’ll get more than his fair share of development time, and we already know how much Barmstrong likes to take guys out of Hockey East. Also he did pretty well in the Hlinka and the CCHL Top Prospects game, so it’s not like he’s lagging way behind his peers because of his decision.

I see a guy that has underrated skill and drive, he’s a guy who goes all out. He can score in a variety of ways, including as a net front presence. He’s a good skater and has a long reach. He’s a “toolsy” player, and with a few years in Boston I think he can be a legit top-6 center. Whether or not he’s putting up gaudy numbers this year isn’t super concerning to me, because nobody really is in this draft class.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Will any quality RHD be available late in the first? I think that's the side we need to bolster if we are going D. Petro is a UFA in two years and Parayko is our only other true top end RHD. We really don't have anyone else who could even be a solid 2nd pairing RHD (unless Walman or Dunn can switch sides). I don't think Schmaltz can play reliable second pairing minutes.

Smaller guys like Addison and Woo will probably be there. If we get lucky and the WPG pick is low we might be able to snag Bode Wilde, which would be a perfect fit imo. But for my money, I think you’ll find good quality later on, like in the 3rd-5th. Everett and Regula will probably go around there. Libor Zabransky is another one that will go late. My super-duper sleeper all season has been Jack Lagerstrom out of SSM, he doesn’t seem to be on anybody’s radar, but for a late pick I could take a flier on those numbers on a dman.

You get way more selection out of the lefties with guys like Alexeyev and McIsaac and Samuelsson in the late first. I like those guys, but I’d rather take a center or a RHD in the first and then wait until later to pick up more LHD depth.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I think it’s pretty unfair to say he stayed in the OJ because he wanted to be with friends, as if that was really such a bad thing anyways. Canadians who want to go the US college route don’t have the CHL as an option. Cale Makar did the same thing last year and went 4th overall. Jake Walman did the same thing too. It happens all the time, it isn’t some indictment of their work ethic or anything. He’s going the college route, he’ll get more than his fair share of development time, and we already know how much Barmstrong likes to take guys out of Hockey East. Also he did pretty well in the Hlinka and the CCHL Top Prospects game, so it’s not like he’s lagging way behind his peers because of his decision.

I see a guy that has underrated skill and drive, he’s a guy who goes all out. He can score in a variety of ways, including as a net front presence. He’s a good skater and has a long reach. He’s a “toolsy” player, and with a few years in Boston I think he can be a legit top-6 center. Whether or not he’s putting up gaudy numbers this year isn’t super concerning to me, because nobody really is in this draft class.

I was told by an OJ coach that’s why he stayed. That same coach also doesn’t see how he’s a 1st rd talent. I’ve watched him multiple times and on video, when I look at him vs most other options projected in the late 1st/ early 2nd I personally lean towards the others. In the games I watched of him he only seemed to skate when he had the puck on his stick, I don’t want to say he plays lazy, I guess the word I’d use is he plays an “easy” game, one u can get away with in the OJ, but at a higher level could be exposed. Cale makar absolutely dominated the AJHL. Also the OJ is below the BCHL and AJHL. All I’m saying is I think he needed to play in a higher league to challenge himself more and take a bigger step forward in his development. If he wants to go the college route, someone w/ his size and skill set should be an automatic USHL’er. It’s not like he’s what Tyson jost was puttin up over 100 pts in 48 gp.

I don’t mind mcbain as a 2nd rd pick because I agree there’s something there and he has some tools and size but in the 1st, I’d personally stay away. But I will say that’s partky because of all the talent in this years draft

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018

I have my doubts that McBain would choose "friends" as the main reason to go OJHL - that's what guys do when they drop from AAA to houseleague. Who knows why he's there? Could be a multiple of reasons, and we don't know them except he's going to Boston, so maybe he wants an Ivy school degree?
In any case he holds his nose I guess until he gets there, although really he should be a positive leader for his team until the season ends.
. I agree he'll drop to second round. I've always believed that.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
I was told by an OJ coach that’s why he stayed. That same coach also doesn’t see how he’s a 1st rd talent

I'd rather doubt that coach really knows what he's talking about. Just an assumption at best, spreading gossip at worst IMHO, and let's face it hockey is loaded with it.
Like I said, we don't know the reasons - talk to him, his family or his agent (if he has one) and my guess is even they won't say, so no reason to assume. I do agree he'll go in the second round. I do wonder if he would have gone way higher had he gone to Barrie but that's just a guess.
I still think Bouchard should go high for the D - I'd take him if I could get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad