Prospect Info: 2018 Draft Thread (STL #1 via WPG is 29th OA)

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Now we got a 1st round pick that might actually be able to pick him.
and if we somehowe could dropp down to top10 pick. Draft would be great success. And even more, get dumped away guys like Berglund/Jbo/Gunnar/Sobotka.

Sell Sell Sell.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Looking at who might be available in the mid to late 20s range for the Winnipeg pick. Reading reports, one name that pops out to me is Serron Noel.

Reactions: The Note in Ky

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Guys in the mid- to late-first round that we could take a whack at (no particular order):

Jack McBain
Calen Addison
Barrett Hayton
Rasmus Kupari
Benoit-Olivier Groulx
Alexander Alexeyev
Matthias Samuelsson
Jett Woo
Serron Noel
Ty Dellandrea
Jared McIsaac
Akil Thomas

Tbh, that group really doesn’t blow me away. None of those guys would inarguably displace anybody from our top 10 prospect list today.

Two guys I really want from this draft are Caleb Everett and Nic Beaudin. One adds Edmundson-level muscle (right handed shot, too), the other adds Dunn-level skill. Beaudin we would have to snag in the 2nd, but Everett will be around later. If we can manage to snag Regula out of London too, all the better, but I’m not as high on him as I am the other two anymore.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Finally, a recognition that the cores of the majority of cup teams really are built from the draft. So tired of trading away picks for "roster" players and the "all in" every year approach.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
It's good to know that the Blues have a 1st round pick, at least for now. They might even have two when it's all said and done, but for now I'm content. Personally, I'm always against trading 1st rounders for the simple fact that I prefer to always get at least 2 NHL level talents per draft. It might sound unreasonable, but I like the continued asset generation as opposed to giving up the opportunity.

As for the draft, if one of Kupari or Kotkaniemi drops to the Blues, I'll be jumping up and down like an idiot on draft day. Other than them, I'm a fan of McIsaac and Woo out of the CHL, but the real talent is in Europe. Lundestrom, Bokk, Olofsson, Kaut, and even Denisenko should be considered.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
It's good to know that the Blues have a 1st round pick, at least for now. They might even have two when it's all said and done, but for now I'm content. Personally, I'm always against trading 1st rounders for the simple fact that I prefer to always get at least 2 NHL level talents per draft. It might sound unreasonable, but I like the continued asset generation as opposed to giving up the opportunity.

As for the draft, if one of Kupari or Kotkaniemi drops to the Blues, I'll be jumping up and down like an idiot on draft day. Other than them, I'm a fan of McIsaac and Woo out of the CHL, but the real talent is in Europe. Lundestrom, Bokk, Olofsson, Kaut, and even Denisenko should be considered.

If Bokk falls to the mid to late 20s and we draft him there I will attempt something I haven't done in almost 12 years. A backflip. I will film it and post it on HFBoards.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Finally, a recognition that the cores of the majority of cup teams really are built from the draft. So tired of trading away picks for "roster" players and the "all in" every year approach.
When have we really had an "all in" year? Pretty much just when we traded for Miller. We really didn't give up any player or prospect of consequence either, just the 1st.

Reactions: The Note

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI

Yes you build through the draft, BUT, we aren't drafting at 1,2,3,4,5 like a lot of teams do to get their franchise players. If we could get Dahlin that'd be spectacular, but what we really need is a Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Eichel, Barkov, etc etc.

Guys in the mid- to late-first round that we could take a whack at (no particular order):

Jack McBain
Calen Addison
Barrett Hayton
Rasmus Kupari
Benoit-Olivier Groulx
Alexander Alexeyev
Matthias Samuelsson
Jett Woo
Serron Noel
Ty Dellandrea
Jared McIsaac
Akil Thomas

Tbh, that group really doesn’t blow me away. None of those guys would inarguably displace anybody from our top 10 prospect list today.

Two guys I really want from this draft are Caleb Everett and Nic Beaudin. One adds Edmundson-level muscle (right handed shot, too), the other adds Dunn-level skill. Beaudin we would have to snag in the 2nd, but Everett will be around later. If we can manage to snag Regula out of London too, all the better, but I’m not as high on him as I am the other two anymore.
These guys I like.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Yes you build through the draft, BUT, we aren't drafting at 1,2,3,4,5 like a lot of teams do to get their franchise players. If we could get Dahlin that'd be spectacular, but what we really need is a Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Eichel, Barkov, etc etc.

These guys I like.

I would also add Jared McIsaac to that list. One of the safest defenseman on the board. Probably never a top pairing guy but pretty safe bet to be #3 or #4

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Haven't followed the draft at all since we didn't have a first. I'm looking forward to diving in and seeing what could be available.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
You think he will fall that far? I heard reports that he could fall in to the 2nd round, but that's it.
Ehh I think it's because of his stunted offensive potential. Other prospects look to add similar production while also adding some element of speed, shot, or whatnot that Sutter doesn't have. This is in no way saying Sutter is bad, but personally, I would be very surprised to see him in the 1st round.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I think it’s likely that Jack McBain is there in the mid-20s, and if he is I’d like to see us take him. In terms of forwards with the potential for a high impact, he seems like one of the very few that do anything for me. He’s a big, tough, smooth-skating centerman with skill and a good shot. The word is he goes all out every shift. He’s committed to Boston next year, which will be good for his development, imo. I could see him being a quality addition to our forward group. In that pick range, he’s probably the best player imo, regardless of position

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
If the Blues elect to keep the late 1st round pick I hope they pick the best LHD available. I'd be happy with Matthias Samuelsson. I have my doubts they keep the pick though.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
After the trade deadline, it's a good deal to get the 1st back and it will make for some interesting
work for the draft forecasters etc. But, here's to the hope that the Blues trade that number one for an established asset. This draft from the mid twenties to the 40's has a lot of players that could easily be interchanged. After the top 5, then the top ten, there are a number of players close together.

If the Blues keep the 1st, Kaut, McBain, Hallander, Samuelsson, Addiison are all good, even Delandrea and Ylonen are worth looks in the mid 20's. I would stay away from Jett Woo in the first as think there is better
value selecting a blue liner like Xavier Bernard or Ty Emberson even in the second round.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If Bokk falls to the mid to late 20s and we draft him there I will attempt something I haven't done in almost 12 years. A backflip. I will film it and post it on HFBoards.
Quoted so it's on record:naughty:

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
If Jets pick is all the Blues have come draft day and Bill Armstrong is not high on anyone from the first round. I can see that pick still be in play to help get a roster player onto the team or off. DA knows he can't put the teams hopes and dreams in the hands of unproven prospects. If Senators don't win a lottery pick and they give that pick to Colorado, maybe their price on Hoffman comes down some.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Quoted so it's on record:naughty:

I stand by it! He can skate, he can pass, he can stick handle and IMO he has the second best shot in this draft behind Zadina. Personally I think he is the next best forward outside of the top 3 of Zadina, Svechnikov and Tkachuk. I would be utterly shocked if he is still there somewhere in the mid to late 20s where I expect the Jets pick to land.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad