WJC: 2018 Division I, II, III

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Norway wins!

The very very unlikely dream of MEP in the WJC elite group lives on, just barely. No thanks to him

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Jeziorski, Pas and others are great, but Lyszczarczyk got them this far, making most important moves when it was necessary.

Anyway, congratulations to Norway, great tournament.
Personally, sad to see Lithuania go down.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Netherlands is relegated to Division II Group B.

Means one more year in D2B, of course if we manage to stay this year.

Our entry roster looks brutal...just brutal...Serbia and Spain will probably demolish us.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
So the same teams that got rele. and prom. from last year, Norway and Lith, go back to where they came from this year. Too bad about Lith. SAF. Poland just miss out again, finished 2nd the last 3 years.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, if we were to look for some kind of consolation at least it's a down year next year.

Both us and, even more so, Poland would have gotten demolished at the higher level. From Lithuania's standpoint, it's probably better for us to be back to D1B in 2019 than to stay now and surely be relegated next year. Even if managing to stay in the division is a statement and achievement on its own.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Well, if we were to look for some kind of consolation at least it's a down year next year.

Both us and, even more so, Poland would have gotten demolished at the higher level. From Lithuania's standpoint, it's probably better for us to be back to D1B in 2019 than to stay now and surely be relegated next year. Even if managing to stay in the division is a statement and achievement on its own.

I'm not sure about that logic, staying in a higher division should always be the goal, cause if you drop down it could be awhile before you move up.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I would not say Poland would get demolished either, they almost beat Norway today.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Germany have looked good since they lost to KAZ, KAZ have been struggling since, yet all KAZ has to do is beat France and they go up, of course Germany have to beat Latvia or get a point to have a chance, I kinda think France will lose and KAZ will make it, though will KAZ have anything to offer the top division next year, I think not, Germany would be better, but that's how it goes sometimes.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I would not say Poland would get demolished either, they almost beat Norway today.
Their golden generation is gone next year, the only noteworthy guy who is eligible to come back will be Pas. And those guys got relegated to D2A at U18 level so yeah, I think it's fair to say they would get demolished at D1A.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Some possible returning players for the teams that can get promoted to the top division (just checking the top scorers)...

Kazakhstan: Artur Gatiyatov, Samat Daniyar, Valeri Orekhov.
Germany: Leon Gawanke, Dominik Bokk, Moritz Seider.
Latvia: Emils Gegeris, Deniss Smirnovs, Renars Karkls.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Congratulations Austria! In a match of two youngest teams in this division, Hungary is going back to D1B after last year's promotion...

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Austria played better the last 2 games and survived, short stay for Hungary.

Conrats to Kaz, but I don't see them doing much next year, Belarus are better.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Their golden generation is gone next year, the only noteworthy guy who is eligible to come back will be Pas. And those guys got relegated to D2A at U18 level so yeah, I think it's fair to say they would get demolished at D1A.

But surely they would be more competitive than Hungary right, which almost stayed up, plus Austria was really young this year, could still be weak next year.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Kaz haven't been in the top since 09', when they scored twice and allowed 46 in RR play, then in rele. play they scored 2 more times and allowed 14, so it's looking very safe for every other team at the top next year.

airbus1094

Feb 27, 2013
Philly
Kaz haven't been in the top since 09', when they scored twice and allowed 46 in RR play, then in rele. play they scored 2 more times and allowed 14, so it's looking very safe for every other team at the top next year.

Team is more competitive then back in those years. Still favorites for relegation, but see us giving teams like Belarus/Slovakia a fight. We did just beat Latvia and Germany, eh!

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Team is more competitive then back in those years. Still favorites for relegation, but see us giving teams like Belarus/Slovakia a fight. We did just beat Latvia and Germany, eh!

We'll see, like I said you have 10 returning players, good thing all your best players will be back next year. Belarus might get rele this year, so you may not play them, you are underrating Slovakia, try a team like Denmark you might have a chance. Yes you beat Latvia, but how weak were they this year, you caught the Germans off guard in the 1st game plus it was very close, so it was a bit of luck there.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
But surely they would be more competitive than Hungary right, which almost stayed up, plus Austria was really young this year, could still be weak next year.
Surely? What? How? Why? Noooo. Hungary is way above Poland at all levels in hockey, obviously, and U20s are no exception. Once Lyszczarczyk and Jeziorski turn 20 Poland is back to their usual talent level - producing future Polish league players.

In other news, hell GB are known for throwing things pretty bad in hockey but geez.. And I've said this probably more times than it's warranted but Sam Duggan is such a disappointment internationally.. This is a guy who plays his 3rd season is SuperElit and all he can do is come up with 1 assist in a must-win game. Also gets outproduced by 17 year-old linemate by 5 points..

Frankly, not thrilled about the idea of playing GB with Kirk next year at all from Lithuanian perspective.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad