WJC: 2018 Division I, II, III

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Poland over Ukraine, Poland surprising some people. What was that about Ukraine being nowhere near rele.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The lack of preditive validity on his part doesn't imply sound logic on the opposing side.

Just kidding a bit, it's still early and they still haven't played Lith. or Italy, which they could beat easily. Based on performance so far I think Italy will go down. Who will go up is another story, Norway maybe looks the best so far, Slovenia are close though, Poland are darkhorses.

Reactions: kabidjan18

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, really don't see how Ukraine losing 3-2 against 2nd/3rd team in the championship (Poles have won against Slovenia in 2015 and 2016) makes a case they are getting relegated. If anything, they kept the game close against the team which absolutely destroyed Italy.

I also do not see how my very well supported assumptions lack validity. Is there really anyone thinking Ukraine can get relegated over Lithuania or Italy?

If anything, this is all going exactly how expected. The only small exception is France looking dominant in the first game but I haven't figured out if it's because they are that good or Austria is that bad. I'm leaning towards the second option at this point, honestly.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Yeah, really don't see how Ukraine losing 3-2 against 2nd/3rd team in the championship (Poles have won against Slovenia in 2015 and 2016) makes a case they are getting relegated. If anything, they kept the game close against the team which absolutely destroyed Italy.

I also do not see how my very well supported assumptions lack validity.

If anything, this is all going exactly how expected. The only small exception is France looking dominant in the first game but I haven't figured out if it's because they are that good or Austria is that bad. I'm leaning towards the second option at this point, honestly.

But shouldn't Ukraine have beaten Poland?

I'm thinking France and Slovenia's good performances at least have something to do with the fact they are hosts.

Romania gave Britain a scare today and kept it close, not a good start for the Brits.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
But shouldn't Ukraine have beaten Poland?

I'm thinking France and Slovenia's good performances at least have something to do with the fact they are hosts.

Well, no. I said Ukraine isn't close to relegation, doesn't mean they turned into world beaters in a year.

Poland has a very strong generation as well, possibly the best one I remember to be honest (I mean having Lyczarczyk really makes the difference) and they have been better than Ukraine in the recent past. I think Poles can really challenge for promotion since Norway's top players aren't there. Also I think there is a very good chance they will beat Slovenia who haven't been very impressive.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Well, no. I said Ukraine isn't close to relegation, doesn't mean they turned into world beaters in a year.

Poland has a very strong generation as well, possibly the best one I remember to be honest (I mean having Lyczarczyk really makes the difference) and they have been better than Ukraine in the recent past. I think Poles can really challenge for promotion since Norway's top players aren't there. Also I think there is a very good chance they will beat Slovenia who haven't been very impressive.

Well I wouldn't call Poland world beaters either.

Did you think Ukraine should have beaten Slovenia?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well I wouldn't call Poland world beaters either.

Did you think Ukraine should have beaten Slovenia?

No, I thought the championship was quite clearly:

1. Norway [big gap] 2/3. Slovenia/Poland [big gap] 4. Ukraine [big gap] 5/6. Italy/Lithuania.

I think the only gap which is not as big as I've imagined is the one separating Norway from others but that is largely due to the fact Norway don't have their difference makers on the roster.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Since Norway are missing their best players I would not say the gap is so big now. Slovenia IMO have the best player in the event in Drozg, so they should challenge Norway. Ukraine is maybe not so certain now since they are missing Merezhko.

So you think Lith. will still get rele., so far they have performed better than Italy.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think Lyszczarczyk is quite a bit better than Drozg who is the best prospect, no doubt but he is 17 while Alan will turn 20 in a few months. Also I didn't see Merezhko as some big difference maker, sure having him would be nice but it's not like he gets Ukraine to the Slovenian/Polish level.

I think it's close to 50/50 between Lithuania and Italy but firstly, I don't like to get too excited while of course I'm hoping for the best. Secondly, Lithuania has only performed better on the scoresheet. Today we scored 3 goals on 10 shots. That's just luck, for the most part. Fundamentally, the game isn't good. But it's the same for Italy so we will see. Like I said, maybe our big boys carry that Italy game.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I think Lyszczarczyk is quite a bit better than Drozg who is the best prospect, no doubt but he is 17 while Alan will turn 20 in a few months. Also I didn't see Merezhko as some big difference maker, sure having him would be nice but it's not like he gets Ukraine to the Slovenian/Polish level.

I think it's close to 50/50 between Lithuania and Italy but firstly, I don't like to get too excited while of course I'm hoping for the best. Secondly, Lithuania has only performed better on the scoresheet. Today we scored 3 goals on 10 shots. That's just luck, for the most part. Fundamentally, the game isn't good. But it's the same for Italy so we will see. Like I said, maybe our big boys carry that Italy game.

Drozg is 18 and is having a better season than Lyszczarczyk. I meant that not having Merezhko could now mean Ukraine are in rele. danger.

Well it's not all luck, the shot chart doesn't tell the story, it's the quality of chances.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Right, he is 18. Still the point remains. Also, he has more points but they play completely different roles. Drozg plays on a rotten team where he is go-to guy while Owen is actually pretty stacked. Lyszczarczyk has scored 50 points in his rookie season as well on a garbage team where he was actually a scoring option. Also the whole QMJHL vs. OHL thing.

Well the shot chart tells the story that we can't get any kind of sustained possession. Which is a problem.

Last edited:

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Slovenia's team is basically last year's U18 team, so it's a pretty young team, I don't think Norway is in danger. Slovenia would have more chance next year.

Last year, I think, there were commentators on streams, but only Slovenia matches and on Slovenian, and then Slovenia were playing for promotion, so I don't think so this year.

Last edited:

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Kazachs also leading against Latvia, if the can hold on, it's pretty much done with promotion, color me impressed!

Let's see if Romania can catch up with Japan too, after their good showing against GBR

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Latvia should be able to tie it up honestly. Yesterday Kazakhs won on merit but today they just are pretty lucky.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's a shame Denis Fjodorovs is so small, for a 2018 draft eligible he looks dinamite.

And Latvian ties it after craziest sequence ever when Kazakhs couldn't put it in the open net 3 times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad