NCAA: 2018 College Football Playoff/New Year's Six Discussion

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
If you notice, you never hear people complaining about penalties or pace of play in college. And the games take longer.

That's one thing I don't like about College. The games, especially Bowl Season are almost 4 hours long. Much the same way I feel about the possession arrow in Basketball, I hate the fact that the clock stops on every first down. It's 2019, we don't need this hand holding anymore. Keep the clock going, or throw the darn ball up and let's go.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
That's one thing I don't like about College. The games, especially Bowl Season are almost 4 hours long. Much the same way I feel about the possession arrow in Basketball, I hate the fact that the clock stops on every first down. It's 2019, we don't need this hand holding anymore. Keep the clock going, or throw the darn ball up and let's go.

NFL games OTOH rarely go this long unless it’s a shootout ala Chiefs/Rams or it goes to OT

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
28-21, yea they really beat up on them.

It was 28-7 in the 4th. Georgia got a couple late TDs including one with 14 seconds left. Texas outgained them in yards especially by a wide margin on the ground. Forced two turnovers.

Plus given the fact Georgia was almost a two touchdown favorite in this game, this was a pretty good result for Texas.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
This bowl season has had WAY too many games that have been mostly lopsided.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I think there's a lot of issues on this. First off, you have Clemson and Alabama who are East Coast schools playing in the Bay Area. Another is that people are coming back from winter break, whether it be back to school or back from work. They had a month to get their affairs in order to attend a game after Christmas, and both of which played fairly close to home. Now you're giving them half the time to schedule a trip all the way out west - on top of the fact that since this is the third time both of these schools have been in the championship game in 4 years, supporters of the schools might have a been-there-done-that mentality. It's probably more expensive for hotels there as well. Given the distance and re-match nature of this, people are finding it more palatable to skip this one.

Sep 19, 2008
Ticket prices for the national championship game are as low as 150 at last check yesterday and could be going lower :laugh:

Perhaps @Gene Parmesan and @Clowe Me can attend said game in Santa Clara, CA. I know if I was in the Bay Area I'd go. 150 dollar tickets for a college football final. come on.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Ticket prices for the national championship game are as low as 150 at last check yesterday and could be going lower :laugh:

Perhaps @Gene Parmesan and @Clowe Me can attend said game in Santa Clara, CA. I know if I was in the Bay Area I'd go. 150 dollar tickets for a college football final. come on.
I was gonna buy a ticket but apparently some greedy ass ladder bought the entire remaining section.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Probably some creep from Silicon Valley.

But the ratings were junk. I'm surprised I figure they would have been good early then dip if Alabama was in control.

Under the old formula you still get this matchup but I think the previous 3 times it wouldn't. Definitely not last year or the year before as Clemson and Bama lost late. The playoff has diminshed the regukar season mattering at all times. The committee blows and is inconsistent. They let Alabama in last year with no conference championship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad