Line Combos: 2018 -2019 Line/D Pairing discussions & proposals - III

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This really doesn't do anything besides make our 3rd and 4th line who are performing well look a lot worse.

And if they don't get lines 1 and 2 producing they aren't getting past CBJ. Simple as that.

So if your the coach, do you hitch your wagon to your bottom 2 lines while up against a strong defensive team with a 2-time Vezina winner in net? Or do you go with the horses that got you to the dance to begin with?

As for the 4th line I really don't care which combination of Wagner/Backes/Acciari/Nordstrom/Kuhlman they go with. If they want to keep Kuhlman and Nordstrom in with Acciari, then fine.

My main concern is getting the top 2 lines going, and getting Kuraly playing with better players.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
What? Kuhlman was one of their best forwards last night. Lol whatever, bigger fish to fry I suppose.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I was in favor of putting Heinen on the first line to spread out the scoring. I still think that would work, but right now it appears that Backes has enough left in the tank to be a passable RW option for 46 and 74. This is allowing the 3rd and 4th lines to decimate the opponent’s Bottom 6 and keep the minutes of the big guns lower.

Here’s a tweet from Billy Jaffe that illustrates how Cassidy has been able to manage the TOI of the four centers:

If this continues and the B’s can keep winning while rolling four lines, it will be HUGE. Definite shades of 2011 with the Pevs and Merlot lines carrying a large part of the load.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Would not have guessed Kuraly with more ice time than Bergeron! I guess it would have looked a bit more even if Berg stays out of the box, and of course if the game was a blowout. Still, surprising and nice for the team to not have to grind Krejci and Patrice into dust trying to win.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Would not have guessed Kuraly with more ice time than Bergeron! I guess it would have looked a bit more even if Berg stays out of the box, and of course if the game was a blowout. Still, surprising and nice for the team to not have to grind Krejci and Patrice into dust trying to win.

Yea it's 100% because the game was out of reach and less about the penalties. It's a matinee so you have like 2+ days before the next game... and you can rest your big guns a bit. The blow out win was huge yesterday on a lot of levels.... lots of doubt in Carolinas heads and the B's feeling great and getting rest.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
When Tortorella dressed 7 D and played Panarin 26+ minutes in the Game 5 loss, I knew that series was over.

The NHL playoffs are a grind and coaches have to manage minutes to survive and advance.

Only thing that surprised me was Z getting close to 25 minutes yesterday... would have thought he was one of the guys you'd try to go light on in a game like that.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Only thing that surprised me was Z getting close to 25 minutes yesterday... would have thought he was one of the guys you'd try to go light on in a game like that.

That’s higher than I would like, but he only played 19:24 Thursday night and had 2 1/2 days rest, so they probably figured he was good to go? With the afternoon game Sunday, he will get a few extra hours rest before Monday night. Also a good sign that there were no further issues from that Aho shot block.

Reactions: TwineTickler

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
How realistic is the thought of Coyle and Mojo taking over Bergeron and Krejci duties ... once Bergeron and Krejci games really start depleting?

Mojo is 5 years younger and Coyle 7 years younger

I think it will be important to lock Coyle and Mojo for the next 5 years

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
How realistic is the thought of Coyle and Mojo taking over Bergeron and Krejci duties ... once Bergeron and Krejci games really start depleting?

Mojo is 5 years younger and Coyle 7 years younger

I think it will be important to lock Coyle and Mojo for the next 5 years

Not very realistic. Neither one of them is as good offensively, and MoJo isn’t a center

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Not very realistic. Neither one of them is as good offensively, and MoJo isn’t a center

disagree. And Mojo has played some center

There is a chance that Coyle and Mojo could breakthrough, like Marchand has been able to later in his career. From 45point per season to about 60-65 points per season

Lets say in 2-3 years Bergeron and Krejci can't be effective 1st/2nd line centers

Marchand Coyle Pasta
Debrusk ? Mojo

I mean what else could the Bruins lean on at the moment? team lack successors

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

There is a chance that Coyle and Mojo could breakthrough, like Marchand has been able to later in his career. From 45point per season to about 60-65 points per season

Lets say in 2-3 years Bergeron and Krejci can't be effective 1st/2nd line centers

Marchand Coyle Pasta
Debrusk ? Mojo

That lineup picks in the Top 5 of the NHL draft for the foreseeable future.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Marchand Coyle Pasta
Debrusk ? Mojo

You disagree that those guys aren’t as talented offensively? I’d love to see anything to support the idea that they are. I’m not banking on them possibly suddenly turning into that kind of offensive talent in a few years. And MoJo played some center at the beginning of his career. I wouldn’t be banking on that either

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
You disagree that those guys aren’t as talented offensively? I’d love to see anything to support the idea that they are. I’m not banking on them possibly suddenly turning into that kind of offensive talent in a few years. And MoJo played some center at the beginning of his career. I wouldn’t be banking on that either

Again at this point there is no successors for Bergeron or Krejci

There is no drawback to planning to keep Coyle and Mojo... just in case

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
What changes to the lines (if any) do we think Butch will make for crucial GM6?

Please no more of the ridiculous changes I’ve seen so far like playing Halak, Senyshyn & Fredrick.

Does he stick with the 7d or does he bring Backes back in?

I think he brings Backes back in, Grz should be good to go back in and he rolls the same lines he did at the start of the series.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Please no more of the ridiculous changes I’ve seen so far like playing Halak, Senyshyn & Fredrick.

I think he brings Backes back in, Grz should be good to go back in and he rolls the same lines he did at the start of the series.

Who suggested this? Good grief.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Imo I think they will dress both Chara and Grz. As the game progresses, Clifton or Moore may sit

Offensively, I just can't see the starting lineup of game 1 to 5 continuing

Bergeron line has been nothing short of a liability. They should breakup Marchand and Bergeron but are ultra stubborn not to do it

so my guess is

Marchand Bergeron Coyle
Mojo Krejci Pasta (there were some good moments yesterday)
Debrusk Kuraly Nordstrom
Heinen Acciari

Chara McAvoy
Krug Carlo
Grz Moore/Clifton

WHAT I would like to see

Mojo Bergeron Coyle
Marchand Krejci Pasta
Debrusk Kuraly Nordstrom
Heinen Acciari

Chara Carlo
Krug McAVoy
Grz Clifton

Reactions: Samsonov

Carlon Brando

May 22, 2014
Boston
I really don't see why DeBrusk needs to be tied to Krejci like how Marchand is with Bergeron. Why can't we see a top six like this:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Johansson - Krejci - Coyle

Not as concerned with the bottom six at that point but probably try:

DeBrusk - Kuraly - Heinen
Nordstrom - Acciari - Backes

My main point is that second line could be drastically improved just by putting Krejci with two talented linemates who have been playing great lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad