Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
Not sure what's allowed on these boards, but it is a "General Prospect Thread..."

The hype and glorification of Kaparisov reminds my of the over the type hype and grandiose claims people were making about Granlund before he ever played in the NHL. Great to be optimistic, but a little bit of reality would be nice. It took Granlund over four years to get close to what people were claiming he'd do as a rookie.

For me, being a long term Wild fan, I'm seeing it again with Kaprisov.

IMO absurd to claim he's an equivalent prospect to Gaborik, or even Granlund.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
His numbers in the khl look pretty nice if im being honest. I'm not as high on Kaprizov as most around here but between his numbers he has already put up and the fact that he is playing (and dominating hopefully this year) in the second or third best league in the world has me pretty pumped that he could be a first line player. Especially the fact that he will be 21 or 22 by the time we get our hands on him so he should be filled out by then.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
His numbers in the khl look pretty nice if im being honest. I'm not as high on Kaprizov as most around here but between his numbers he has already put up and the fact that he is playing (and dominating hopefully this year) in the second or third best league in the world has me pretty pumped that he could be a first line player. Especially the fact that he will be 21 or 22 by the time we get our hands on him so he should be filled out by then.
Filled out, but still undersized and a bit slow. Time and space is going to be a big challenge for him to get in the NHL vs the KHL.

It was the toughest thing for Granlund to get a handle on, and it could be very difficult for Kap as well.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Not sure what's allowed on these boards, but it is a "General Prospect Thread..."

The hype and glorification of Kaparisov reminds my of the over the type hype and grandiose claims people were making about Granlund before he ever played in the NHL. Great to be optimistic, but a little bit of reality would be nice. It took Granlund over four years to get close to what people were claiming he'd do as a rookie.

For me, being a long term Wild fan, I'm seeing it again with Kaprisov.

IMO absurd to claim he's an equivalent prospect to Gaborik, or even Granlund.

did tarasenko , kuznetsov , panarin struggle to make it in the nhl? doesnt kaprizov breaking a record earn him some street cred? i was never high on granlund , i called him PMB2 the day we drafted him.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
did tarasenko , kuznetsov , panarin struggle to make it in the nhl? doesnt kaprizov breaking a record earn him some street cred? i was never high on granlund , i called him PMB2 the day we drafted him.

I think it should. not all-star cred, but kap could take the same path as Panarin by coming over as a 23/24 yo, and be an impact player right away.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I think it should. not all-star cred, but kap could take the same path as Panarin by coming over as a 23/24 yo, and be an impact player right away.

Panarin also had chemistry with PPG++ Patrick Kane, on the modern-era dynasty Chicago Blackhawks.

Not saying Kaprizov can't have immediate impact... But immediate impact on the Wild ain't the same as immediate impact on the Blackhawks.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Just gotta pump my tires for wanting the Wild to sign Panarin a year and a half before the Blackhawks did. That's my one.

Kaprizov would struggle that first year, but if he takes a step like Kuznetsov, all this waiting will have been worth it.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Panarin also had chemistry with PPG++ Patrick Kane, on the modern-era dynasty Chicago Blackhawks.

Not saying Kaprizov can't have immediate impact... But immediate impact on the Wild ain't the same as immediate impact on the Blackhawks.

he'll get paired with Granlund and end up with 32 goals :sarcasm:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2017/08/31-teams-in-31-days-minnesota-wild.html

My annual look at Minnesota's OHL Prospects, reviewing their progression and outlook.

Happy to answer any questions.

This passage on Sokolov was encouraging:

Thought his skating definitely looked improved this year, as did his conditioning. It's obvious that he's worked on both. His hands are so good, that even making some minor improvements to his explosiveness, made him that much more difficult to contain off the rush.

Do you think it's possible for him to break into a solid NHL roster like Minnesota's after another year in the OHL, or would he need a year in the AHL?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
what kind of help (linemates) will sokolov get this year? am i wrong in thinking sokolov has the potential to be a nhl 20G scorer? after last season in a redraft would he be a 1st rndr? thx.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
what kind of help (linemates) will sokolov get this year? am i wrong in thinking sokolov has the potential to be a nhl 20G scorer? after last season in a redraft would he be a 1st rndr? thx.

He had a good year, but he wouldn't be a first rounder after it. Still questions about his all around game, and to be blunt. He's still Russian. So more often than not teams will pick the Western european or north american all things being equal.

That said, he'd probably jump into 2nd or 3rd round

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
This passage on Sokolov was encouraging:

Do you think it's possible for him to break into a solid NHL roster like Minnesota's after another year in the OHL, or would he need a year in the AHL?

I think it really depends how much more his skating improves next year, as well as his play away from the puck. My hunch says that he'll need a year at the AHL level. Players who struggle with the skating component rarely make that jump from the CHL to the NHL without at least a little bit of seasoning in the AHL to adjust to the speed of the pro game.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

He played most of the year with former #1 overall OHL pick David Levin at center. Levin is a talented kid with a ton of puck skill. He's in his NHL draft year this year so hopefully he really steps up his game next year to give Sokolov a top notch playmaker to skate with.

Yes, he most definitely has the potential to be a 20 goal scorer in the NHL. He has the potential to be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL.

And if we were doing a re-draft, he wouldn't be a first rounder. He might not even be a 2nd rounder. The progression he's shown thus far has been very encouraging, but it's important not to get ahead of ourselves. He's still got work to do to be an NHL player.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
NHL star Steve Michalek.

lmao So good. I guess all his star power just isn't enough to compete with an NFL superstar.

Never know though, he's been one of those goalies who has found a way to keep advancing. A year after draft I thought he looked like a "bust", with his poor numbers for Harvard and then leaving the school to play USHL. Now he looks like he's on par with Kahkonen. He may be even further up the ladder, in the eyes of the Wild's management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino