Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
You're kidding yourself if you think having an extra 5" and 50 lbs. doesn't make a difference. I'm not talking about Gabriel here, but a guy with, say, Coyle's skills who is 5'10" and 180. He is not going to be able to hold up in the long run against Coyle.

You take the smaller, weaker guy only if he is clearly more skilled, and even then you have to pay attention to the mix that you have on your team. This isn't Ringette.

You don't pick big guys just because they are big. That is dumb. But to deny that size/strength/toughness is part of a desirable package in a hockey player is also dumb.

Im not saying size is not an advantage when the player can skate or has the IQ to utilize it and be a difference maker. Players like Wheeler are a prime example of that, but if your going to ask me to take a chance on Gabriel or some 5'8 guy who has tons of skill im picking the small guy every time. Gabriel isn't fast enough to be a consistent difference maker IMO, and don't see why we wasted a contract on him just because he makes us "tougher."

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Like is BB is going to Healthy scratch someone like Ennis for certain games cause hes not on the score sheet and to match up against the other teams "toughness?" cause i'd much rather have ennis on the ice for every second gabriel could potentially spend just cause he adds size but lacks everything else.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
kunin looks like hes gonna make it really difficult on the coaches not to find him a spot on the big club. im hoping sokolov tears up the ohl this season. im looking forward to greenway stepping up his goal scoring from 10G to maybe 20G. im a little sour on my formerly fav prospect kaprizov , i expect him to be a PPG / 25G-25A player this season. let drop the puck already!

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
kunin looks like hes gonna make it really difficult on the coaches not to find him a spot on the big club. im hoping sokolov tears up the ohl this season. im looking forward to greenway stepping up his goal scoring from 10G to maybe 20G. im a little sour on my formerly fav prospect kaprizov , i expect him to be a PPG / 25G-25A player this season. let drop the puck already!

I wouldn't let the statement from the CSKA president sour my view on Kaprizov too much. The more time that goes by without an actual signing announcement, the more it looks like an attempt by the team to apply some leverage rather than an indication of Kaprizov's interest in signing.

Double

Feb 14, 2008
Keep in mind, these prospect camp scrimmages really don't mean much of anything. To wit, Reid Duke was far & away the best player in scrimmages a coupla years ago.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Some Russo tweets from the scrimmage.

Sounds like goals by... Anas (x2), Soucy, Kloos, Kunin.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Soucy, Anas, and Kunin got hyped coming out of camp. The staff said they could all push for NHL roster spots this training camp.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Surprised to hear Soucy's supposedly pushing for a spot. He's been an under-the-radar prospect... And he's only got 3 pro games under his belt. I really don't know much about him outside of his Elite Prospects profile.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
i think he will be able to replace what we are missing from losing stoner ; prosser ; folin.

Respectfully disagree with Stoner & Prosser - Both had/have much more professional experience. Folin's closer to Soucy's level, but I think Folin had more success in UMass-Lowell than Soucy's had in Duluth.

Agree with their position, though... #6-#7 Dman.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i only meant that soucy can bring the physical aspect of stoner & prosser's game , and i believe he can skate about as well as folin. we really lack a crease clearing D man and im hoping soucy can fill that role.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Respectfully disagree with Stoner & Prosser - Both had/have much more professional experience. Folin's closer to Soucy's level, but I think Folin had more success in UMass-Lowell than Soucy's had in Duluth.

Agree with their position, though... #6-#7 Dman.

Never been that impressed with Soucy but the org is obviously high on him and has been for a while now. He has the gifts and the Bulldog coaches really liked his approach. I've always found him a bit mistake-prone, haven't seen the puck skills an NHL guy needs either. Folin did start college as an older guy and only played two seasons, but his propensity for violence and his ability to skate with the puck are ahead of Soucy. I don't think there's any way to spin losing Folin as a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad