2018-2019 Centers

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Schwartz Schenn ???
??? Fabbri Tarasenko
??? Berglund/Sobotka/Thompson(?) ???
4 line, Sanford at center for all I care

I always see other teams play their youth wayyyy more aggressively than our team does, and this year is fine, but with how well Kyrou/Thomas are looking, I'm not seeing a reason to not give them a serious look in serious roles next year. Kyrou up with 17/10 wouldn't be the worst thing ever, and Thomas on a line with a finisher (Thompson?) and Steen for defense maybe.

And adding improvements via trade/FA and removing some that aren't really doing so hot is always a plus, as well. Then again I'm always optimistic so

Edit: Barbashev exists...

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Schwartz Schenn ???
??? Fabbri Tarasenko
??? Berglund/Sobotka/Thompson(?) ???
4 line, Sanford at center for all I care

I always see other teams play their youth wayyyy more aggressively than our team does, and this year is fine, but with how well Kyrou/Thomas are looking, I'm not seeing a reason to not give them a serious look in serious roles next year. Kyrou up with 17/10 wouldn't be the worst thing ever, and Thomas on a line with a finisher (Thompson?) and Steen for defense maybe.

And adding improvements via trade/FA and removing some that aren't really doing so hot is always a plus, as well. Then again I'm always optimistic so

Edit: Barbashev exists...

Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Fabbri-?-Tarasenko
Steen-Thomas/Berglund-Thompson/Berglund
Jaskin/Sanford/Soshnikov-Barbashev-Jaskin/Sanford/Soshnikov

Would be an interesting team to watch at least. Not sure how they would fare but at least it would be entertaining.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Going into this year we as fans could only pencil Stastny in as a top 6 center.

There's too many things that could happen between now and the start of next season. My opinion is Army tries to trade Sobotka, Berglund, and the 1st round pick as a means to upgrade the roster. Who knows what deals get completed but I don't see any way Berglund and Sobotka both are on next year's roster.

Army was aggressive at the last draft. With the current roster it's my opinion Army has to make something substantial happen around the draft. Championship teams need better centers than the Blues currently have or will have next year even if they bring up Thomas etc.

If I was in Army's shoes I'd shop Parayko and see what the market is. A franchise can replace a #2 RHD even if it's a notch down from Parayko and still compete legitimately for a cup. Having Schenn, Barbashev, Thomas, Berglund, and Sobotka down the middle there's very little chance of being a contender.

I'd hate to see Parayko go but he's probably the only trade chip that has a chance to bring in a potent center.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
This thread makes me sick to my stomach.

Yeah, it’s not a pretty scene out there. I think the most likely case is we get someone via trade that if you squint enough you can see as a 2c, and you hope Thomas grows into that role fast.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Army's off-season plan A)
Pay to somebody take Berglund, then trade away Sobotka for 'meh' prospect. Then acquire Bozak with 1st Jets + 'meh' prospect.
Get Reaves Back

Plan B)
Get Brouwer back

Plan C)
If everything goes wrong. Go Bahama and get sunburn.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Tavares or bust.

With:
Fabbri - Tavares - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Thompson/Jaskin/Kyrou
Steen - Thomas - Thompson/Jaskin/Kyrou
Upshall/Soshnikov - Brodziak - Soshnikov/Reaves

Without:
Oh my god, I just couldn't type it out. I got to the 2nd line center and realized it's very possible that we have to put Steen or Berglund there and I threw up in my mouth a little. JT please help.

Last edited:

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Tavares or bust.

With:
Fabbri - Tavares - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Thompson/Jaskin/Kyrou
Steen - Thomas - Thompson/Jaskin/Kyrou
Upshall/Soshnikov - Brodziak - Soshnikov/Reaves

Without:
Oh my god, I just couldn't type it out. I got to the 2nd line center and realized it's very possible that we have to put Steen or Berglund there and I threw up in my mouth a little. JT please help.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us trade for a 2C like RNH AND go for Tavares as well(if he doesn’t resign in NY).

Schwartz-Tavares-Schenn
Fabbri-RNH-Tarasenko
Steen-Thomas-Thompson/Kyrou
Soshnikov-Barbashev-Brodziak/Reaves
Sundqvist

If Thomas isn’t ready you can roll JT/Schenn/RNH down the middle.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Based on the reports that the Blues were apparently fairly close to a deal for a center at the deadline but didn't want to give up one of the "big 4", I don't see trading Parayko as being necessary.

If our prospects have that kind of value around the league if you combine one with Winnipeg's 1st and whatever other roster piece, then you go for it.

I don't really care if we have to trade a guy like Thompson. A legit top 6 center right now is more important so Armstrong should pull the trigger on a deal like that and get something done.

There's no way the Blues can go into the start of next season with a guy like Barbashev penciled into the 2C slot. At that point it's not even a re-tool...it's just blatantly moving backwards.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
If Tage Thompson and WPG’s first can get us close to a top 6 center we’ll be just fine this offseason.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Tavares, Schenn, Thomas, Sundqvist...that's your 1 through 4 next season...book it :cool:

I think Armstrong goes into the draft with a play in tiers, much like many here have said.

1. Tavares (if he doesn't sign, move to #2)
2. Trade for Top 6 C (if no good trade out there, move to #3)
3. Stastny (if he doesn't sign, move to #4)
4. Reasonable UFA signing (if he doesn't sign, move to #5)
5. Thomas competes for job.

Reactions: JHockey123

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad