2018-2019 Centers

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
With Stastny gone, I think we are setting up another year of needing quality centers. Add to the Brodziak being a UFA (which I hope they re-sign), we are pretty thin at the pivot moving forward.

Schenn is solid as a center, but outside of that, what do we have? If DA sells either/both Sobotka (who really seems to be a winger now) and Berglund, do we really have anyone ready to take over one of the three center positions that would be open? Thomas is a guess, I hope he makes the team and shines as a #3, but you just don't know. Thompson I think is all but ruled out as a center anymore. Sundqvist doesn't impress me at all and probably will be an AHL/NHL tweener. Will Barbashev finally make the jump to be a #2 center?

I'm pretty much not considering Tavares as I think that is a pipe dream. The flock of UFA centers is pretty mundane. So once again, we will be talking about no centers for St. Louis for the umpteenth time.

What options do we have at center for next year? We may have the leagues lowest faceoff win percentage the way it is starting to look.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
That’s a position that’s kinda hard to guess at right now. If Sobotka and/or Berglund is dealt at draft, I’m sure that changes DA’s strategy. When JT resigns with the Isles, values of Stastny and Bosak will undoubtedly shoot up. If Jets have a deep run and Stastny plays a big role in it. That will likely price the Blues out. I just see Bozak as another Berglund, I don’t like his inconsistent effort he puts on the ice.

The UFA center list is top heavy and thins out quickly. Trading for an RFA is not going to be pretty. Nor is the thought of trading Parayko for a 1C.

Reactions: ezcreepin

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
In UFA you’re looking at:

Tavares (pipe dream, been covered)

Thornton (I’d imagine he stays with the Sharks or retires)

Stastny (wouldn’t hate it, but the price would have to be right.)

Then Plekanec/Bozak/Stajan/etc.

Armstrong will have his work cut out for him this summer. He’s going to have to add at least one sure fire top 6 guy at RW/C then another quality middle 6 guy, IMO.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I've received push back saying this before, but if his health/knee is 100% and we are desperate, MAYBE Fabbri could conceivably get a look at C.

I would welcome Stastny back with open arms on a reasonable deal. Looking at the UFA market (other than Paul or Tavares...) it seems like our best option may be a trade. Any chance Backstrom becomes available if the caps lose early in the playoffs again? Maybe we look for another youngish winger to play center a la Schenn (ex. Jenner or Galchenyuk).

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
The Blues will need another top-6 C IMO. Tavares is a pipe dream and the UFA crop after him is pretty thin. That leaves Army with trading for one.

Some with say Thomas but I don’t see Army willing to go into camp with him penciled into the 2C spot. I think Thomas will likely steal a spot in camp but I think he fits more as a 3C as a rookie, forcing guys like Bergy and Sobi (if they’re not traded) to the wing.

Maybe Stastny is willing to return for a reasonable amount but he is once again one of the best Cs available so the Blues will likely be priced out. And I’d imagine the odds of him returning went down when they traded him.

Reactions: Blueston

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I've received push back saying this before, but if his health/knee is 100% and we are desperate, MAYBE Fabbri could conceivably get a look at C.

I would welcome Stastny back with open arms on a reasonable deal. Looking at the UFA market (other than Paul or Tavares...) it seems like our best option may be a trade. Any chance Backstrom becomes available if the caps lose early in the playoffs again? Maybe we look for another youngish winger to play center a la Schenn (ex. Jenner or Galchenyuk).

I like the Backstrom idea as well. I posted on the main board so we'll see how Caps fans feel.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I would hold my nose and add Tyler Bozak to the list of UFA options.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Looking at the roster and the kids who are coming up and the dead weight we currently have signed for several years, I'm starting to think this is less of a re-tool and more like a re-build. Next year could result in a top 5 pick if things don't fall in line perfectly. I still can't figure out what they are going to do about goaltending either. Could be a long year.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Apart from adding Tavares, i think DA will explore a ton of trade avenues much like the Schenn move from last year. It'll prolly be someone we never knew would be available. But i have faith he will address the issue.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It's not much of a discussion at this point, honestly, because there are so few known options.

UFA: Tavares (very unlikely) => Stastny (more unlikely now)

Failing that:

Trade: ??? (May become first option if something falls into his lap at the draft,)

Failing that:

Throw **** against the wall during training camp and hope something sticks.

Failing that:

One of Steen/Sobotka/Berglund will likely be filling that spot.

Reactions: shpongle falls

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
One of Steen/Sobotka/Berglund will likely be filling that spot.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ranksu

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Would everyone feel comfortable putting Parayko in a deal for Backstrom?

Or is it better to have Parayko but take a massive downgrade at center with a player like Bozak?

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Would everyone feel comfortable putting Parayko in a deal for Backstrom?

Or is it better to have Parayko but take a massive downgrade at center with a player like Bozak?
There would be a bigger hole trading Parayko+ for Backstrom than their would be if we signed Bozak as a UFA and Kept Parayko. Bozak can at least play middle 6 center duties. We don't have a player who could replace Parayko in 2nd pairing RHD. Now if we had a deal in place for someone like Chris Tanev before the Backstrom trade. Then I could live with it.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'm not sure where this idea of Backstrom being made available is coming from. Unless there is a reliable source talking about this possibility that I missed, Backstrom is one of the least likely to be moved if the Caps do poorly in the playoffs again this year, possibly second only to Ovechkin.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm not sure where this idea of Backstrom being made available is coming from. Unless there is a reliable source talking about this possibility that I missed, Backstrom is one of the least likely to be moved if the Caps do poorly in the playoffs again this year, possibly second only to Ovechkin.

There's no report or rumor nor has anyone said there is. Just discussing it as a hypothetical.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Failing that:

Throw **** against the wall during training camp and hope something sticks.

Who do you even see as a possibility to move to center based on our current roster and list of prospects? Fabbri is the only upside that comes to mind unless Thompson goes all green and Hulky over the summer.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Who do you even see as a possibility to move to center based on our current roster and list of prospects? Fabbri is the only upside that comes to mind unless Thompson goes all green and Hulky over the summer.
I don't see anyone as a particularly realistic possibility to fill a top 6 center role, but you can bet that they'll give a shot to anyone and everyone they've tentatively connected to the position in the past in the hopes that someone will do something to fill the void.

Barbashev will get his shot, and he probably has the best chance of sticking if he can find some magic with Tarasenko. Fabbri, Thompson, and Sanford all might get looks depending on need, or just to see where they are with their games and what they need to work on. Thompson might get a serious look.

Hell, there was a Jaskin experiment at center at one point, so I'm not discounting anything being tried if the organization is truly desperate.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
<snip>
I'm not discounting anything being tried if the organization is truly desperate.

I think the "desperation" move is going to be moving the WIN 1st and a prospect (Kostin?) and taking a run at someone like Galchenyuk. Despite the fact that I have been on the pro-Army side of the balance (still see a lot of bad moves, though) I see this ending badly for us. I don't think we land the big fish in Tavares. I think we've known since the start of the season that Stastny wasn't coming back, and I think that is why he lost his "A". Bozak is going to cost too much for what he brings. I think our only hope in salvaging the situation comes if we can move Berglund to MTL in a Galchenyuk deal and at least soften the blow of bringing in someone who probably isn't the right guy by moving someone that needs to move on.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I think the "desperation" move is going to be moving the WIN 1st and a prospect (Kostin?) and taking a run at someone like Galchenyuk. Despite the fact that I have been on the pro-Army side of the balance (still see a lot of bad moves, though) I see this ending badly for us. I don't think we land the big fish in Tavares. I think we've known since the start of the season that Stastny wasn't coming back, and I think that is why he lost his "A". Bozak is going to cost too much for what he brings. I think our only hope in salvaging the situation comes if we can move Berglund to MTL in a Galchenyuk deal and at least soften the blow of bringing in someone who probably isn't the right guy by moving someone that needs to move on.
I'd hope Armstrong isn't that stupid.

If Galchenyuk can't stick at center for an organization that would sell its soul for a top 6 center, he's simply not a viable gamble. It's not like the Blues demand less from the position than other organizations.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I firmly believe that the Blues are going to make a strong play at Tavares (pipe dream) if they strike out there I think they circle back to Stastny and if they strike out there I think they are prepared to go into next year with a competition for the 2c spot between Thomas, Barbashev, maybe Steen or whichever one the vets we don't purge this off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad