League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Some people on the main board still considering us (the defending champions) as a dark horse team. Sometimes i still don't believe we've done it, it seems to me i'm sleeping and this win is just a dream :laugh:

Over 40 years of associating Capitals with "losers/chokers" will create a strong impression that's hard to erase unless you follow the team closely.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Some people on the main board still considering us (the defending champions) as a dark horse team. Sometimes i still don't believe we've done it, it seems to me i'm sleeping and this win is just a dream :laugh:

To be fair, one dude on the mains suggested it in the OP, and then 47 responders mocked him soundly for it.

I get the sentiment though. Despite being defending champs with the whole roster back, in fact actually improved, depth wise, people still generally put the Caps as 5th or 6th in the odds/favorites to win. Its ridiculous but who cares, let them all sleep on the Caps. I still remember EVERYONE outside this board telling us all that TB will crush us, and then VGK will crush us, and so it went.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
At least once a month I consider the possibility I Vanilla Skyed myself coming home from the game 7 loss in 2017.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It's like Warren Young that one year he scored 40 playing on 18 year old Mario Lemieux's wing. Warren Young hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

I think it is more a Mike Krushelnyski like outlier season when playing with Gretzky and Kurri. Chiasson is a decent NHL bottom 6 player getting more opportunities than he usually would, similar to Krushelnyski that year IMO. Young was barely an NHL player who fluked into a spot next to one of the greatest players the league has ever seen.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think it is more a Mike Krushelnyski like outlier season when playing with Gretzky and Kurri. Chiasson is a decent NHL bottom 6 player getting more opportunities than he usually would, similar to Krushelnyski that year IMO. Young was barely an NHL player who fluked into a spot next to one of the greatest players the league has ever seen.

Another example: Chris Clark playing with Ovechkin.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It may be Pettersson's trophy to lose right now, but Mikko Koskinen is starting to build himself a darkhorse candidacy for the Calder. Could be one of those fun 30 year old rookie stories

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
It may be Pettersson's trophy to lose right now, but Mikko Koskinen is starting to build himself a darkhorse candidacy for the Calder. Could be one of those fun 30 year old rookie stories
He's too old to be eligible for the trophy. They added an age limit after an older Russian guy whose name I can't remember won it.

Edit:

Age also affects eligibility. Players must be no more than 26 years old by 15 September of their rookie season to be eligible for the trophy. This rule came into effect in the 1990–91 season. The previous year, Sergei Makarov of the Calgary Flames had won the trophy at 31 years of age. He is the oldest player to win the Calder Memorial Trophy.
Calder Memorial Trophy | The Canadian Encyclopedia

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Probably just a wake up call type thing but holy shit how does this happen?

p.s. He was indeed scratched. #GMoftheyear :laugh:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Eichel with 2G and 2A tonight in win vs Bs, after netting 2 against Caps last night. Guy is really upping his game and his leadership

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
No no no Philly needs to keep Hakstol. Hairplugs Hextall was the only problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad