Blue Jays GDT: (2017 v3.0) vs NYY |Thu, June 1| 7:00pm ET/4:00pm PT | Sabathia vs Estrada

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
505672.gif

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Seriously. This season is a train wreck.

They're going to finish last - barring a miracle.

Was it too much to ask for Liriano to be good to allow them to trade him later in the season for something?

When it rains, does it have to pour?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
How does this idiot ump still have a job?

The Umps union and their deal with MLB basically gives them ultimate job security. The league is powerless to fire umps. They only leave when they retire or quit. All the league has is the ability to deny umps the ability to work playoff games. And if anyone so much as criticizes an umpire, it's pretty much an automatic fine at the behest of the union.

Imagine a job where you can't be criticized, can't be evaluated, can't be disciplined, and can do however ****y job you want and face zero repercussions except the possibility that you get a couple extra months off and lose the equivalent of what would be bonus pay. That's what it's like being an MLB umpire.

I think what I'm saying is that we all grossly miscalculated our life goals. We should've all wanted to go be baseball umpires.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The Umps union and their deal with MLB basically gives them ultimate job security. The league is powerless to fire umps. They only leave when they retire or quit. All the league has is the ability to deny umps the ability to work playoff games. And if anyone so much as criticizes an umpire, it's pretty much an automatic fine at the behest of the union.

Imagine a job where you can't be criticized, can't be evaluated, can't be disciplined, and can do however ****y job you want and face zero repercussions except the possibility that you get a couple extra months off and lose the equivalent of what would be bonus pay. That's what it's like being an MLB umpire.

I think what I'm saying is that we all grossly miscalculated our life goals. We should've all wanted to go be baseball umpires.

Slightly off topic what is the salary for MLB umpire? I always wonder that in every sport I watch

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

How can a union representing less than one hundred members have that much power over an industry worth billions and billions of dollars?

It's ridiculous. As soon as I heard this moron was umping tonight I knew the Jay were screwed.

These clowns should be a dime a dozen. There is no reason for MLB to fear their union in any way.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
How can a union representing less than one hundred members have that much power over an industry worth billions and billions of dollars?

It's ridiculous. As soon as I heard this moron was umping tonight I knew the Jay were screwed.

These clowns should be a dime a dozen. There is no reason for MLB to fear their union in any way.

Look at what happened in the NFL when they went with scab officials for like 3 weeks. The minute a league tries to play hardball with its officials and figures "any idiot can do the job" it will only take one stupid screw-up before everyone riots. Even if you can probably figure that the real officials would make exactly teh same mistake.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Look at what happened in the NFL when they went with scab officials for like 3 weeks. The minute a league tries to play hardball with its officials and figures "any idiot can do the job" it will only take one stupid screw-up before everyone riots. Even if you can probably figure that the real officials would make exactly teh same mistake.

I hear what you're saying, but no union with so few members, should have the power to essentially eliminate the possibility of a member being terminated for gross incompetence.

I really don't understand how a multi-billion industry can be held hostage by a union of so few.

For the most part, the umps are fine (I have no idea who the umps were last night or the night before). But there are obvious clowns (I'm sure a number of posters here could name them quickly) that should be canned.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Every pitch zaun showed was out of the zone, close yes but out why would the "commissioner raise an eyebrow" to that?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Yep. Walker, Gibbons this series and the three for one last season where he tossed Gibbons, Martin and Edwin.

yeah but I figured with how awful he is he would have ejected some guys from other teams in the meantime

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I don't think it's a with/without Martin thing. This is just the story of Liriano's career.

I remember when he burst onto the scene in 06. He subsequently blew out his arm and missed all of 07 and half of 08.

I was playing (still am) in a pretty competitive fantasy league and one of the more astute managers in the league kept Liriano as a keeper those three years.

We had only five keepers each year and I could not figure out why a smart and astute manager would keep a player who was damaged goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad