WC: 2017 Team Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
What's up with your coach? Nylander was the Leafs best PP player last Season by a mile and he never gets a chance to handle the puck on the PP for Sweden....ridiculous.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Because everytime he passed the puck to Söderberg the puck was turned over and that was proof for that he wasnt productive.

I don't think Söderberg has been great, especially not these last couple of games, but you can't just make things up. Omark wasn't particularly good either. It's not like we are benching superstars in favour of Söderberg, he may not be a difference maker but that can also be said about most of our forwards.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Omark is what he is, a rather slow player with good vision and passing. These days his game is surprisingly responsible. From the games ive seen this year he probably averages setting up 3 -5 scoring chances per game, in one game twice that (and got 3rd star in some newspaper).

Söderberg has been abysmal, a real possession killer. Kruger is defensive player who locks down top lines doring his day job. None of them should play with Omark. They simply dont gell.

Whenever Omark plays with players who can move the puck and themselves into lanes you get the most of his skills. While Omark isnt a super star but he is ppg in KHL so he knows how to generate offense. They should try to get that out of him. Nordström, Rask, Söderberg are grinders and should be used for that. Kruger is a good defensive players and should be used for that.

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
Omark is what he is, a rather slow player with good vision and passing. These days his game is surprisingly responsible. From the games ive seen this year he probably averages setting up 3 -5 scoring chances per game, in one game twice that (and got 3rd star in some newspaper).

Söderberg has been abysmal, a real possession killer. Kruger is defensive player who locks down top lines doring his day job. None of them should play with Omark. They simply dont gell.

Whenever Omark plays with players who can move the puck and themselves into lanes you get the most of his skills. While Omark isnt a super star but he is ppg in KHL so he knows how to generate offense. They should try to get that out of him. Nordström, Rask, Söderberg are grinders and should be used for that. Kruger is a good defensive players and should be used for that.
I think you sum it up rather well. We all know that grönborg dont like having 3 offensive lines though. He always go 2+2. Two skilled, two brunkar lines.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
What's up with your coach? Nylander was the Leafs best PP player last Season by a mile and he never gets a chance to handle the puck on the PP for Sweden....ridiculous.
We have Grönborg as a coach. You can't expect any logic out of this man. He puts Nylander(!) to be the goalie screen, redirection and rebound guy in an umbrella formation. I know, I have no ****ing clue what his actual idea is.

I don't think I've ever seen a coach more incapable of getting more out of his roster than this man. Previous coaches were awful at picking the players, this man is just awful at the actual tacical part of the game, but solid at picking the players. I guess Grönlund thinks Nylander's best attributes are his strength and size?

I don't think Sweden will ever have a complete coach, or the brains in the organization to put both parts together to create a competent coaching trio.

Bengt-Åke Gustafsson coaching and Grönborg picking the team and you would have very solid coaching.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Omark, still the poster-child of excuses...

Is it ever his own fault.
I haven't been an Omark fan since forever, but the last two games he was really involved and managed to put himself into good situations. At the start of the tournament he didn't do much at all and looked like he has for the last couple of years on the national team: average as hell. But the last two games, Omark looked way beyond acceptable. He won board battles, he played smart positionally, he connected passes, he put himself into good situations to score - and he did, twice.

But Söderberg? He is useless. USELESS! He made a deke against a Slovakian player and that was the first positive I've seen from him in the entire tournament. How he's still in the lineup is beyond me, because holy hell is he a shadow of his former self in Boston. He doesn't hit, he can't pass, he can't shoot, he can't skate with any effort, he can't receive a pass, he can't play defense well, I have no idea why he is on the team whatsoever, except from the reputation of playing for an NHL team. SEL plugs in the past have done more than he has this tournament.

If I was Omark, I would be pissed. Grönborg thinks he's worse than a traffic cone. That's harsh. All TV commentators think Söderberg has been useless, pretty much 85% of all fans think Söderberg has been useless... but Grönborg thinks otherwise... because he can't coach to save his life.

I have never seen a more useless player on the national team than Söderberg. One successful involvement (a deke) in an entire tournament and he's still on the team. Incredible.

Last edited:

Natt

Oct 7, 2014
Kungsholmen, Sthlm
I have to agree, Söderberg has been ****ing useless and should be benched. Guy comes from a 80 games and 14 pts season, those are ****** numbers even for a 4th liner.

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
I have to agree, Söderberg has been ****ing useless and should be benched. Guy comes from a 80 games and 14 pts season, those are ****** numbers even for a 4th liner.

What did i say before the tournament that I rather had alex nylander.

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
We have Grönborg as a coach. You can't expect any logic out of this man. He puts Nylander(!) to be the goalie screen, redirection and rebound guy in an umbrella formation. I know, I have no ****ing clue what his actual idea is.

I don't think I've ever seen a coach more incapable of getting more out of his roster than this man. Previous coaches were awful at picking the players, this man is just awful at the actual tacical part of the game, but solid at picking the players. I guess Grönlund thinks Nylander's best attributes are his strength and size?

I don't think Sweden will ever have a complete coach, or the brains in the organization to put both parts together to create a competent coaching trio.

Bengt-Åke Gustafsson coaching and Grönborg picking the team and you would have very solid coaching.
Not so sure he is good at picking a good roster either. His world cup team had players like zibanejad, nylander, wennberg and elias lindholm missing.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
So anyone else worried about (I think it was) Strålman cheerfully talking about how he's never been to Paris and will enjoy seeing the city? Hopefully he and the other players won't be too distracted :laugh:

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
We are lucky, despite us not playing so well in the group stage, we still have a relative easy road ahead of us on paper.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Conny evensson had been the only competent coach last 30 years

I think the coaches try to do to much. International tournaments are short, you will mess up more than you create if you just try to implement your game-plan as with a regular team.

As a coach you have to listen to these players and let them explain their preferred roles individually and who they want to be playing with and how and why.

From these pieces you have to put something together. The player's capacities are more important than your autonomous game-plan.

This sounds simple, but it is apparently super-hard.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
This tournament shows why defensive forwards/grinders still fills a function. People think it's a simple job because "any player can work hard". Yeah, everyone can, but that doesn't mean they are gonna.

At least Kruger, Nordstrom, Lundqvist, Klingberg and Everberg are putting in the effort. But in general, this team has never done anything more to win games than what was nessecary. It's too bad Slovakia didn't have a better team in place, or that we didn't end the preliminary round against Russia or USA. That would have helped driving the tempo and intensity.

Ultimately, it's the remaining games that matters. But unfortunately it seems we are entering the quarter finals with bad habits. I worry that Switzerland will outskate us, particulary in the first period. The boys will have to play their best game so far in the tournament, or they are getting eliminated.

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
Is it just me or has hedman looked underwhelming last games? He is good but not norris level good. Why does so many underperform under grönborg.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
It's not that easy playing poor teams with a super defensive lineup. Especially not when their goalie is running hot and they get some dangerous counter attacks, I'm not overly concerned.

I fully agree about Söderberg though, he is simply not looking good, sad but true. He shouldn't have been selected for the team the first place after a total dissaster season like he had in Colorado. Grönborg probably picked him out of old merits. Of course it is a chance that he will start playing better but I doubt it. Will be kind of interesting to see what Colorado do with Söderberg next season. If they try to get rid of him or still use him as one of the highest paid fourth liners in the game (he was traded to Colorado for being a #2 center but failed big time). Frustrating guy, I love how he plays when playing up to his capacity, a Sundin light at his best. My analyze is that Söderberg is weak mentally and/or having family issues, this sound harsh but it's my guess. Completely lacking of self confidence could be another explanation though but shouldn't happen to an experienced guy like Söderberg.

I think we will see a more open "normal game" vs Swiss which would help the Swedish team a lot.

Unfortunately games vs Swiss have been tight the last years but we should be able to win this one. It's extremely important not being outworked though, everybody has to have the correct playoff mind for this game, I don't want to see a lazy team.

Last edited:

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Is it just me or has hedman looked underwhelming last games? He is good but not norris level good. Why does so many underperform under grönborg.

Has any d-men played at their normal level? As said before, I think it is Grönborg that is holding them back by making them playing safe. However maybe the "eye" injury affect him little bit as well?

It is nothing wrong with want to play safe sometimes, if you can not beat them with skill then that is probably the best way to go, just look at ottawa, but I would say we have a team that could beat anyone with skill in this whc.

Either way, it is now the tournament starts for real. If we finish with 3 victories, then who cares how we preformed in the group stage.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Has any d-men played at their normal level? As said before, I think it is Grönborg that is holding them back by making them playing safe. However maybe the "eye" injury affect him little bit as well?

It is nothing wrong with want to play safe sometimes, if you can not beat them with skill then that is probably the best way to go, just look at ottawa, but I would say we have a team that could beat anyone with skill in this whc.

Either way, it is now the tournament starts for real. If we finish with 3 victories, then who cares how we preformed in the group stage.

It is pretty ironic how the TV4 commentators laud over how cool it is when Canada's defenders get involved in the offense and they all cycle around the zone, when Sweden has much better defenders at pulling off that kind of cycle play. Can you imagine Klingberg, Hedman and OEL playing in Canada's system in front of these commentators?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

A defensive mindset is strongly built into the soul of Swedish hockey, that's for sure. ;-) Perhaps one of the reasons we are producing increadible defensive talent the last decade or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot