WC: 2017 Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I would like to see a young team. I like when this tournament is used for developmental purposes. Of course placing the young players in a winning environment is most beneficial, so there has to be a balance. Young is very good for this tournament.

This year will be the most interesting I can recall in terms of which players will accept invitations. The NHL's Olympic participation may not be decided by that point, and we don't know if the NHL's World Cup is going to be used as an excuse by many players.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Would love to see Canada complete the three-peat this spring in Paris or Cologne (not sure where the final is being played)

Cologne as the main venue will host one preliminary-round group, two quarter-final games, the semi-finals and medal games.

Group A (Cologne)
Russia (2)
United States (4)
Sweden (5)
Slovakia (8)
Germany (10)
Latvia (12)
Denmark (13)
Italy (18)

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Oh boy, I CANNOT WAIT for May !! I haven't seen a hockey game in a stadium since December 2008 (Sharks/Blues) !! This is going to be absolutely epic !! Getting to see Mackinnon and potentially Duchene will be unreal !!

I've already got tickets for 2 Canada games and 1 Finland game (really hoping to see Rantanen and Laine :D:D).

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I would like to see a young team. I like when this tournament is used for developmental purposes. Of course placing the young players in a winning environment is most beneficial, so there has to be a balance. Young is very good for this tournament.

This year will be the most interesting I can recall in terms of which players will accept invitations. The NHL's Olympic participation may not be decided by that point, and we don't know if the NHL's World Cup is going to be used as an excuse by many players.

A brand spanking new team, young + not overly reliant on WCoH players (only a sprinkle) or holdovers from the previous 2 WHC gold medal winners.

Making the assumption St. Louis/Calgary/Toronto (if they make the post season) are all early 1st.rd. casualties. Can't predict what Edmonton will do, if they lose, then off course I want McDavid to make the trip. I hope his girlfriend is dying to see Paris.

Not thrilled with Toffoli's season, but he could use a positive end to it...And it has to be Gio with Hamilton together. If Gio says no, then Hamilton may as well stay home as well.

J BAILEY J TAVARES M SCHEIFELE
J SKINNER J CARTER T TOFFOLI
J HUBERDEAU N KADRI W SIMMONDS
J SCHWARTZ B HORVAT A MANTHA

J MARCHESSAULT M MARNER

M GIORDANO D HAMILTON
J EDMUNDSON A PIETRANGELO
M MATHESON C PARAYKO
D SEVERSON

C WARD
S MASON

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Oh boy, I CANNOT WAIT for May !! I haven't seen a hockey game in a stadium since December 2008 (Sharks/Blues) !! This is going to be absolutely epic !! Getting to see Mackinnon and potentially Duchene will be unreal !!

I've already got tickets for 2 Canada games and 1 Finland game (really hoping to see Rantanen and Laine :D:D).

I'm onboard if they want to go, but I wouldn't count on it. As much as I'd like to see a Drouin MacKinnon reunion with Duchene in the middle, all 3 have put in a long season.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
A brand spanking new team, young + not overly reliant on WCoH players (only a sprinkle) or holdovers from the previous 2 WHC gold medal winners.

Making the assumption St. Louis/Calgary/Toronto (if they make the post season) are all early 1st.rd. casualties. Can't predict what Edmonton will do, if they lose, then off course I want McDavid to make the trip. I hope his girlfriend is dying to see Paris.

Not thrilled with Toffoli's season, but he could use a positive end to it...And it has to be Gio with Hamilton together. If Gio says no, then Hamilton may as well stay home as well.

J BAILEY J TAVARES M SCHEIFELE
J SKINNER J CARTER T TOFFOLI
J HUBERDEAU N KADRI W SIMMONDS
J SCHWARTZ B HORVAT A MANTHA

J MARCHESSAULT M MARNER

M GIORDANO D HAMILTON
J EDMUNDSON A PIETRANGELO
M MATHESON C PARAYKO
D SEVERSON

C WARD
S MASON

Most of those names are the realistic options for this team. Young, can't use the NHL's world cup excuse. I don't expect Pietrangelo after the year St. Louis has been having. It will still come down to the Olympics. With Olympic participation announced, the team will most likely be better than the above. Without participation, it will probably be worse. With no announcement, you're probably on par.

Among players who are youngish with no NHL gimmick tournament excuse and who play on what appear to be non-playoff teams, Skinner, Henrique, Domi, Reinhart, Barrie and Tanev deserve consideration. First round fodder Calgary could yield Brodie and Monahan as well.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I agree with your thoughts. I would like to see a young team for developmental purposes. This is not a best on best tournament, so the emphasis should be giving the young players of Canada, the experience they need to shine on the big stage.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I agree with your thoughts. I would like to see a young team for developmental purposes. This is not a best on best tournament, so the emphasis should be giving the young players of Canada, the experience they need to shine on the big stage.

The only problem with that is, there may be no future big stage for them to shine on, just gimmicky NHL sponsored tournaments.

and it should be a development tool for Hockey Canada and future National Team players, and not a general development tool for NHL GMs attempting to get some of their youngers a few extra springtime reps.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The only problem with that is, there may be no future big stage for them to shine on, just gimmicky NHL sponsored tournaments.

and it should be a development tool for Hockey Canada and future National Team players, and not a general development tool for NHL GMs attempting to get some of their youngers a few extra springtime reps.

What about the Edmonton Oilers trying out junior defenceman Ryan Murray prior to the draft?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
What about the Edmonton Oilers trying out junior defenceman Ryan Murray prior to the draft?

That pissed me off at the time and I screamed about it then. I'm not particularly in favor of junior age undrafted players playing in this tournament, unless we're talking about Crosby/McDavid level players.
only NHL rookies who have excelled in their rookie years, but on the average, I'd prefer a 23-25 year olds being led by right mix of elite and established NHL pros.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
That pissed me off at the time and I screamed about it then. I'm not particularly in favor of junior age undrafted players playing in this tournament, unless we're talking about Crosby/McDavid level players.
only NHL rookies who have excelled in their rookie years, but on the average, I'd prefer a 23-25 year olds being led by right mix of elite and established NHL pros.
I think there is totally nothing wrong with playing players like Barzal, Patrick, or Dubois as 4th liners/13th forwards if the rest of the team looks decent. It will give them experience and it helps them to develop imo, playing some tough games, against good, older players, internationally, where one game means a lot.

I really wouldn't mind to go with a similar team that I posted a few pages ago, something like Bennett-Patrick-Mantha would be my 4th line, they would get like 7-11 minutes per game, you can always play them less if it needs to be, if you have players like Duchene and Tavares in your first two lines.

I personally think it's better for the future to rather loss with a younger team, than win with an already experienced team, you know. But I personally don't care what team we ice there, I'm happy with whatever is thrown because I like to see both, young players getting their chance for Canada, or a strong team full of stars, there are positives in both for me as a fan.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Players 23-25 are ideal for this tournament, possibly younger. I have no problem with junior aged players who can contribute, though those players are somewhat rare. The 2015 team is an unrealistic standard, but the 2016 team is a pretty good example of what Hockey Canada should shoot for. To be fair to Hockey Canada, it is pretty obvious that they make a conscious effort to go young.

I personally think it's better for the future to rather loss with a younger team, than win with an already experienced team, you know. But I personally don't care what team we ice there, I'm happy with whatever is thrown because I like to see both, young players getting their chance for Canada, or a strong team full of stars, there are positives in both for me as a fan.

I agree with this. It's been my position for a long time that the tournament is mostly good for developmental purposes and that young teams, within reason, are ideal. Going young also puts Canada in a no lose situation. If they win, obviously that is fine. If they lose, it's also fine given that the stature of the tournament is low and that young players get some valuable international experience.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Teams that I think we can safely now say they have no shot at the playoffs.

East:
Detroit
New Jersey
Carolina
Buffalo

West:
Colorado
Arizona
Vancouver
Dallas

Potential players from those teams:

Detroit: Mantha, Green, Helm
-Probably could get Mantha for sure. Green no, and maybe Helm goes, he seems like the type that would go. Be a great 3rd liner.

New Jersey: Hall, Henrique, Zajac, Cammalleri
-Man Hall's been snubbed enough times, I doubt he answers the call. Doubt you get any of the other 3 as well.

Carolina: Skinner, Staal, Murphy
-Might get Murphy, don't have high hopes for the other two

Buffalo: O`Reilly, Reinhart, Kane, Moulson, Franson, Ennis,
-Maybe can hope for Reinhart and Franson? I doubt O'Reilly goes again, Ennis has been.

Colorado: MacKinnon, Duchene, Barrie,
-Frankly I think they're all unlikely.

Arizona: Domi
-maybe, he went last yeah and didn't get a ton of time, but would get more this year.

Vancouver: Horvat, Sutter, Tanev, Hutton,
-I think Horvat might go, Sutter hasn't been in a while, but maybe could get him. Tanev and Hutton would both be returnees, so I doubt they go, most guys don't go 2 years in a row.

Dallas: Seguin, Benn, Sharp, Spezza
-I don`t think we'll get any of these guys

So, we need blue liners bad, and we will need lots of other players from teams that will not make the playoffs. Didn't even look at goalies. Maybe Eddie Lack?

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia

East:
Detroit
New Jersey
Carolina
Buffalo

West:
Colorado
Arizona
Vancouver
Dallas

-Probably could get Mantha for sure. Green no, and maybe Helm goes, he seems like the type that would go. Be a great 3rd liner.

-Man Hall's been snubbed enough times, I doubt he answers the call. Doubt you get any of the other 3 as well.

-Maybe can hope for Reinhart and Franson? I doubt O'Reilly goes again, Ennis has been.

-maybe, he went last yeah and didn't get a ton of time, but would get more this year.

-I think Horvat might go, Sutter hasn't been in a while, but maybe could get him. Tanev and Hutton would both be returnees, so I doubt they go, most guys don't go 2 years in a row.

So, we need blue liners bad, and we will need lots of other players from teams that will not make the playoffs. Didn't even look at goalies. Maybe Eddie Lack?

Spezza always accept invite and Hall, O`Reilly or Duchene)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

May not be popular, but I'd like to see Kane given a shot. He's been a pretty good player for Canada internationally. He'd be particularly useful if the team is shallow, as he can provide pretty good goal scoring from a line with very limited talent. He's gone three times though. Barrie is another that I am interested in... he doesn't have the NHL's World Cup excuse, and he refused to participate last year.

Calgary is the key for defence, I suspect. Three potential top pairing defencemen for this tournament on a team that is unlikely to advance past the first round.

Spezza always accept invite and Hall, O`Reilly or Duchene)

Credit to those guys for being loyal, but I'm not sure that they've always accepted. Duchene refused in 2014 I think, though he was hurt and coming off the Olympics so that is perfectly understandable. I think I recall that O'Reilly refused in 2014 as well. I also certainly can't imagine Hockey Canada not asking him after what was a very strong season. It was definitely reported that Hall refused in 2014, along with his fellow Oilers. I think that Spezza refused one year as well, possibly 2010 or 2014. He's also a rare player to have been refused by Hockey Canada after he asked the if he could play in... I think 2012.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
May not be popular, but I'd like to see Kane given a shot. He's been a pretty good player for Canada internationally. He'd be particularly useful if the team is shallow, as he can provide pretty good goal scoring from a line with very limited talent. He's gone three times though. Barrie is another that I am interested in... he doesn't have the NHL's World Cup excuse, and he refused to participate last year.

Calgary is the key for defence, I suspect. Three potential top pairing defencemen for this tournament on a team that is unlikely to advance past the first round.

Credit to those guys for being loyal, but I'm not sure that they've always accepted. Duchene refused in 2014 I think, though he was hurt and coming off the Olympics so that is perfectly understandable. I think I recall that O'Reilly refused in 2014 as well. I also certainly can't imagine Hockey Canada not asking him after what was a very strong season. It was definitely reported that Hall refused in 2014, along with his fellow Oilers. I think that Spezza refused one year as well, possibly 2010 or 2014. He's also a rare player to have been refused by Hockey Canada after he asked the if he could play in... I think 2012.

I dislike the player immensely, but based on performance he's moved up my charts all season long, there' are a few LWers I'd prefer to see over Kane (Schwartz Bailey Hoffman etc) but if we're stuck, then sure. Bailey is versatile and can play either side of the ice.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I dislike the player immensely, but based on performance he's moved up my charts all season long, there' are a few LWers I'd prefer to see over Kane (Schwartz Bailey Hoffman etc) but if we're stuck, then sure. Bailey is versatile and can play either side of the ice.

We would need a strong leadership group and Captain not to take any of his nonsense.

and remember, I don't think he's much of a player on big ice. great skater, but limited iq required to play big ice.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

I forgot about Kane, and yeah, he's a possibility for sure. Not sure what his relationship is like with Hockey Canada, but he's played for them before for sure at this level and junior. Always interesting to see what guys do at year end.

Barrie, all the reports out of Colorado this year has been that he's been a tire fire, granted it's probably an entire team effect. I would imagine all those guys will be emotionally drained from that season. All surrounded by trade rumours, they haven't even hit 40 points yet. Lots of guys will want to move onto their summer after a year like that. I hope he does go though, great puck moving d-man.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I forgot about Kane, and yeah, he's a possibility for sure. Not sure what his relationship is like with Hockey Canada, but he's played for them before for sure at this level and junior. Always interesting to see what guys do at year end.

Barrie, all the reports out of Colorado this year has been that he's been a tire fire, granted it's probably an entire team effect. I would imagine all those guys will be emotionally drained from that season. All surrounded by trade rumours, they haven't even hit 40 points yet. Lots of guys will want to move onto their summer after a year like that. I hope he does go though, great puck moving d-man.

or Mackinnon may jump at the opportunity to reunite with his junior running mate, Drouin. If Drouin accepts I think Nate will for the chance to end the season on a positive note.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Hall and Henrique going together.

Severson is also another option from the Devils that wasn't mentioned in realdeal's post.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

He's been good this year. I wouldn't take him on the team if it is loaded since he doesn't really work well with others, but if a line needed carrying he would be fine at this level.

You mentioned Kane, I just wanted to highlight him. I could see Barrie opting out due to how pathetic Colorado has been this year, but he may also see it as an opportunity to get something positive out of the season. He's also good friends with MacKinnon, though I don't know if that's good or bad in this case. Pairing Barrie with a partner who is solid defensively on a team that has a reasonable defensive structure would be nice for this tournament.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

East:
Detroit
New Jersey
Carolina
Buffalo

West:
Colorado
Arizona
Vancouver
Dallas

Eddie Lack is swedish.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm still banking on the Islanders and Blues getting bounced in the opening rd.

And other than Tavares, the rest of the A Team players take a pass on Paris.

And I'm seriously running out of patience with Mackinnon. He needs an entire summer off to train. And if anybody runs in to him in the pubs of Cole Harbour, tell him to exit pronto and hit the gym.

J BAILEY J.TAVARES W SIMMONDS
J SCHWARTZ M SCHEIFELE B SCHENN
J DROUIN N KADRI M MARNER
J HUBERDEAU B HORVAT A MANTHA

J MARCHESSAULT

J EDMUNDSTON C PARAYKO
B HUTTON C TANEV
M MATHESON J DEMERS
D SEVERSON

C WARD
S MASON

Status