Speculation: 2017 TDL/Draft/Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I know Minny's defense group is very talented and all but Scott Stevens has them playing at a high level constantly. There barely seems to be a dip in their play ever.

I'm wary of hiring a former great as a coach because it wouldn't look too great if they had to let him go but I think it would be worth it to give him a shot.

Ralph Krueger has a good job at Southampton in the EPL and he might not want to leave but I think he'd be a good choice for coach too.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I know Minny's defense group is very talented and all but Scott Stevens has them playing at a high level constantly. There barely seems to be a dip in their play ever.

I'm wary of hiring a former great as a coach because it wouldn't look too great if they had to let him go but I think it would be worth it to give him a shot.

Ralph Krueger has a good job at Southampton in the EPL and he might not want to leave but I think he'd be a good choice for coach too.

In this case I'd make an exception, provided he'd want to return. He coached well here and has earned a shot....might as well be here if the team makes a change. Shero will likely make moves to improve the defensive personnel and Stevens has always been a leader. And while we're at it, when Patty retires he can coach the forwards.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Hall did have his best PPG season under Krueger, so I guess that could be a possibility. Although I think this team needs somebody with a track record that can get the players to listen. Unfortunately I don't know who that is. Lemaire isn't coming back. Hitchcock might be done coaching for good after this year (although I still kind of doubt it). About the only other experienced options I can think of would be Julien, if he gets fired, or Hartley, who I've never liked.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Yeah totally. Jost, Nylander, Tkachuk and Keller are just the same level player as McLeod. . . . .

Wasn't meant as a dig on you.

This past draft is way too early to make calls on though. Why are all of those players so much better than McLeod? These guys are mostly 19 years old. Way too much was taken from the WJs IMO.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Let's see.

Compare Hanifin/Marner/Strome to Zacha.

Compare Jost/Nylander/Sergachev/Keller to McLeod.

There is definitely a clear difference. Only debatable one so far is Strome vs. Zacha, but Strome's put up far superior numbers to Zacha at similar levels.

Thank you the less sarcastic response :laugh: than the one prior.

2015 draft results to me can be looked at as usbpicking the wrong guy, not us drafting at the next level down from prior players. Plenty of really good guys taken right after us and late in the round. I say this all just for those already giving up on the pick (I haven't).

Wrong thread anyways. Just wanted to respond to you guys.

Year 2 of rebuild. Keep stockpiling picks. Trade anyone who isn't in the long term future of the teams plans but keep who we need to for Expansion purposes. Be patient.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

He never should have been let go in the first place.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He never should have been let go in the first place.

I think he deserved a shot right off the bat but Hynes has the right to pick his own staff, however Nasserdine or however it's spelled hasn't done much with the crap players he's been given.

Last edited:

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I think he deserves a shot right off the bat but Hynes has the right to pick his own staff, however Nasserdine or however it's spelled hasn't done much with the crap players he's been given.

I find myself agreeing with both points of view. It was a mistake to let Stevens go. However, if he wasn't Shero's guy, not only does the new coach get to pick his staff, you don't want Stevens working under Hynes when he was up for Hynes' job. It's just something that had to play itself out.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
There should be room for a guy like Fiddler on a team looking to add to its fourth line for a playoff push.

Hoping PAP can be this year's Lee Stempniak.

Those two are IMO the realistic outgoings.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Minnesota is 20th in shots against, the Devils are 23rd. Missing that Stevens magic.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Minnesota is 20th in shots against, the Devils are 23rd. Missing that Stevens magic.

2nd in goals against and don't tell me that's all Dubnyk.

We are 21st.

Granted our defensive players suck but there's something to be said for coaching within that.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Shero probably doesn't make any coaching changes in the middle of the season, unless some interesting names gets fired. I count among them Jack Capuano, Dan Bylsma, Jon Cooper, and Claude Julien in the east, and Lindy Ruff, and Paul Maurice in the west. Cooper is the only coach who gets me excited, but I think it's very unlikely he gets fired. Because of their old relationship, Shero might be interested in Bylsma's services, but choosing him would be a big mistake.

However, I think it is more likely that Shero will change coaching staff after this season, or he might even give Hynes a second chance and watch how Devils plays their first 10–15 games before he makes any decisions.

I'm also sure that there will be some roster moves before trade deadline and after the season. Maybe some desperate teams wants to add Parenteau, Quincey, or Fiddler in their group, and we get few middle round draft picks. I would also consider to trade Henrique or Cammalleri, although many HFers have forgotten that especially Henrique might be better next year. Tuukka Rask and Jakub Voracek are great examples of players who have had bounce-back years after one or more mediocre seasons.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

that's true, Minnesota as a whole doesn't have the greatest advanced stats especially for a team with that record. But on an individual scale Brodin, Spurgeon, and Dumba are having their best seasons offensively. Suter is also on a 50 point pace. And Dubnyk is having a great season behind them. He also runs their PK which is top 5 in the league. It's true that they are getting lucky but I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could be a good fit.

Also I just saw this when i was looking this up, New Jersey is the only team in the league to have a corsi for% below 50 when trailing lol. They are 47.7% when trailing( 5v5) next closest is Colorado who have 50.5 CF% when trailing 5v5.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
2nd in goals against and don't tell me that's all Dubnyk.

We are 21st.

Granted our defensive players suck but there's something to be said for coaching within that.

Cool. How were the Devils when Stevens was here? 9th and 15th. And that's not even counting the half-season when he ran the defense after DeBoer left. Guess he's not that good in New Jersey.

Or maybe we shouldn't attribute the success of teams to assistant coaches. I'm not saying Stevens is or isn't a good assistant coach - I just doubt he is a miracle worker.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I feel like it Stevens ran our defense, we would have some some physical D like Fraser or someone similar in the lineup. Or like a Volchenkov or Salvador type.

Salvador was our #2 defensemen when Stevens was the assistant. Then he leaves and Salvador's minutes are down by like 2 per game.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Shero probably doesn't make any coaching changes in the middle of the season, unless some interesting names gets fired. I count among them Jack Capuano, Dan Bylsma, Jon Cooper, and Claude Julien in the east, and Lindy Ruff, and Paul Maurice in the west. Cooper is the only coach who gets me excited, but I think it's very unlikely he gets fired. Because of their old relationship, Shero might be interested in Bylsma's services, but choosing him would be a big mistake.

However, I think it is more likely that Shero will change coaching staff after this season, or he might even give Hynes a second chance and watch how Devils plays their first 10–15 games before he makes any decisions.

I'm also sure that there will be some roster moves before trade deadline and after the season. Maybe some desperate teams wants to add Parenteau, Quincey, or Fiddler in their group, and we get few middle round draft picks. I would also consider to trade Henrique or Cammalleri, although many HFers have forgotten that especially Henrique might be better next year. Tuukka Rask and Jakub Voracek are great examples of players who have had bounce-back years after one or more mediocre seasons.

I can't see a HC change in-season and I don't see one in the offseason yet either. If anything, I think Hynes gets a slap on the wrist with Ward and Nas getting the boot.

Henrique might bounce back next year. If we can add a long term D piece by moving him I'm fine with it. If Shero can grab one and keep Henrique I'm fine with that too. Cammy's got to go though, especially if Henrique stays and shifts to LW.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Cool. How were the Devils when Stevens was here? 9th and 15th. And that's not even counting the half-season when he ran the defense after DeBoer left. Guess he's not that good in New Jersey.

Or maybe we shouldn't attribute the success of teams to assistant coaches. I'm not saying Stevens is or isn't a good assistant coach - I just doubt he is a miracle worker.

My point was he was/is better than Nasreddine. Probably at least.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
My point was he was/is better than Nasreddine. Probably at least.

We can't know that. Even granting that he might be better than Nasreddine, I still wouldn't want him here - there's certain expectations when a person like Stevens is hired for a coachiing or front-office position on the team where he had the greatest personal success as a player. And in addition, there's probably certain expectations from him about how the Devils organization runs given that Stevens was here for 15 years under Lou Lamoriello's stewardship as either an assistant coach or player.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

I never said he's a miracle worker, just that Minny's D is playing at a high level in which you're right in that they don't have the greatest underlying numbers so luck definitely has played a part but it might be worth it to give him a shot.

I don't think there's a coach out there unless Julien gets fired that has a proven track record of being good to great in terms of underlying stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad