2017 OHL Gold Cup

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Didn't see a thread started. Those interested in seeing there recently drafted prospects in a tournament.

2017 OHL Gold Cup will be in Kitchener at Activa Arena May 3rd to May 7th.

Rosters were announced today.
18 of the 21 players selected in the first round of the OHL Priority Selection are on OHL Gold Cup rosters
129 of 160 OHL Gold Cup players were picked in the OHL Priority Selection

www.ohlgoldcup.com

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
A friend and I went to the OHL Cup a month ago, just as fans, and found it very entertaining and interesting (first trip for me). I admit to never having heard of the GoldCup before, but it appears to be an all-star type competition (nice group of "ringers" on the Northwest team!).

Question for those in the industry or other observers: If a couple of people from northern Ontario want to see a few days of these players, not as talent evaluators but as hockey fans, which is the better option if you can attend only one?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
A friend and I went to the OHL Cup a month ago, just as fans, and found it very entertaining and interesting (first trip for me). I admit to never having heard of the GoldCup before, but it appears to be an all-star type competition (nice group of "ringers" on the Northwest team!).

Question for those in the industry or other observers: If a couple of people from northern Ontario want to see a few days of these players, not as talent evaluators but as hockey fans, which is the better option if you can attend only one?

JMO, but id take the OHL Cup. Been the last 3 years and just so many close, great games with teams with seasons on the line.
Ontarios best teams, that have been together all year (or years) with a couple all-star US squads added, for me beats an end of season all star game ( thou it can be fun to watch)

So many 1 goal, last minute , OT games at the MM finals Cup, esp when ya get to the 1/4 finals and beyond.....

I know the tourney doesnt have all the top players, but its got a majority and the best teams.

Too each their own.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I have watched 3 Gold Cups. They are a different animal than the OHL Cup I imagine. The Gold Cup is more of an individual thing. Players are judged on their individual play as they are not usually on lines with team mates. Players really have to make the best of their opportunities because the ice they got on their club team may be shortened quite a bit more in this tourney. The top players usually rise to the occasion with a few surprises. It's a great opportunity to see the players your OHL team drafted. If you only want to see picks your interested in it's five bucks for a day pass.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015

I have watched 3 Gold Cups. They are a different animal than the OHL Cup I imagine. The Gold Cup is more of an individual thing. Players are judged on their individual play as they are not usually on lines with team mates. Players really have to make the best of their opportunities because the ice they got on their club team may be shortened quite a bit more in this tourney. The top players usually rise to the occasion with a few surprises. It's a great opportunity to see the players your OHL team drafted. If you only want to see picks your interested in it's five bucks for a day pass.

On a conceptual level, it's kind of like the Stanley Cup playoffs versus the World Cup of hockey.

The OHL Cup are the culmination of the season for the top teams who made it through the grind and qualified. So you see a team that has been together all season compete against other club teams in the same boat.

The Gold Cup is a short tournament featuring hockey organizations throughout Ontario who have compiled their best all-star roster. Kids haven't all played together and are asked to develop chemistry in short order representing their hockey region.

So different animals, but I love the Gold Cup. All the players have been drafted now and you can key in on the guys you're about to see in the OHL. It's great value for money too.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think the kids are vying for spots on Team Ontario which in turn leads to a shot at Team Canada under 17. Is that a correct assumption?

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I think the kids are vying for spots on Team Ontario which in turn leads to a shot at Team Canada under 17. Is that a correct assumption?

Absolutely Hockey Canada is in the house. Realistically, they're mostly looking hard at 10-15 kids in this tournament, but it's a great opportunity for the others to put themselves on the radar.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Games are currently underway. For those that work and are unable to attend (me) you can also get updates via twitter from a couple sources
OHLGoldCup
TheScoutDotca

If anyone has other updates I would be interested.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Games are currently underway. For those that work and are unable to attend (me) you can also get updates via twitter from a couple sources
OHLGoldCup
TheScoutDotca

Went for six games today. Three of them blowouts.

Best players I'd say were Jamieson Rees, Evan Brand, Justin McCombs, Ryan Stepian, Connor McMichael, Kurtis Evans, Navrin Mutter, Lucas Peric, Liam Van Loon.

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
OHLGoldCup
TheScoutDotca

Philip Tomasino had a hat trick and POG in GTHL Blue win over Hockey East. Billy Constaninou had a goal and an assist.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Thanks HOCCA and webegtodiffer. Keep them coming. I will be checking out some games today and tomorrow. This showcase gives you a good look at the players coming into the OHL.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
What's the quality of hockey. Balls-out physical or All-Star style ?
How'd the 67s top two picks look? Clarke and Quinn

Only saw Clarke one game, where he looked pedestrian... but apparently he pulled off another lacrosse goal at some point.

Quinn actually looked good, had a goal.

NineteenSixtyFive

Mar 7, 2016
Looking at the stats alone it looks like the top 3 picks struggled to produce - Suzuki, Bertuzzi and Coe have 3 points (all goals). The next 2 picks - Porco and Tomasino - have 17.
Bertuzzi has no points, that's got to be pretty unusual for a second overall?

Maybe they just had no puck luck.

Anybody been there to comment on their actual performance?

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Clarke played well yesterday, had a really nice goal top shelf from the slot.

Didn't see Blake Murray yesterday, I heard he got rocked earlier in the week from one of the Alliance-London Dmen either Millman or Howard.

Not sure what it is with Bertuzzi, you can definitely notice him, didn't have much luck, hopefully will be better when playing with better players.

I thought McCombs, Burridge and Van Loon had strong games. Great hustle and play from Van Loon. Suzuki very ordinary.

Thought Haden Fowler had a strong game yesterday, along with Rees and Aguanno.

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
not there just wondering if these games are like allstars games where it is like pond hockey or are they competitive?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad