Speculation: 2017 Offseason/Expansion Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Doesn't really matter at the forward position when the only guys we really need to protect are Henrique, Hall, Zajac, Cammalleri, and Palmieri.

If we get any semi-decent middle-six forward, they're likely a better bet then protecting Bennett/Josefson/Noesen/etc.

And we can expose Camm if need be too.

Are there rules against bribing Vegas? Also what is the benieft of sending them low ball bribes when they can just take the better player in the draft?

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
I haven't visited in a while so I'm not sure how much this has been discussed but how does everyone feel about possibly overpaying for Shattenkirk? I honestly don't see why we should do that. I'm fine with a fair contract obviously, but let the Rangers make stupid overpayments not us.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I haven't visited in a while so I'm not sure how much this has been discussed but how does everyone feel about possibly overpaying for Shattenkirk? I honestly don't see why we should do that. I'm fine with a fair contract obviously, but let the Rangers make stupid overpayments not us.

7X7 should be enough to get him to NJ. And I would do that. but if it goes to 7X7.5 id be a little hesitant.

Also regarding Minnesota, I agree it should be Shero's main priority to have one of Zucker, Scandella, Brodin, Nino in a Devils uniform next season. But how many other teams are in the same position as us with an abundance of cap space as well as not many guys they necessarily need to protect? Arizona? Carolina? Dallas?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Usually I'd pass, but I think Shattenkirk is the best defenseman on the UFA market in quite some time and he's the right age too.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it will take 7/7.5 to convince him to come here over other places.

That ain't all that bad, considering that Ryan Suter is signed for $7.5 million for another 8 years and is already 32. We can only sign him for 7 years, unless we traded for his rights or something and then we can sign him for 8 (I think?) if it's before July 1st. Which I don't want his rights, at least not just to sign him for an extra year.

Shea Weber is signed at over $7.5 for another 9 years, but I understand Weber is the GOAT. Or at least that's what a bunch of Habs people told me on the main board as recent as October of 2016.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
That ain't all that bad, considering that Ryan Suter is signed for $7.5 million for another 8 years and is already 32. We can only sign him for 7 years, unless we traded for his rights or something and then we can sign him for 8 (I think?) if it's before July 1st. Which I don't want his rights, at least not just to sign him for an extra year.

Shea Weber is signed at over $7.5 for another 9 years, but I understand Weber is the GOAT. Or at least that's what a bunch of Habs people told me on the main board as recent as October of 2016.

The only team that can sign Shattenkirk to an 8 year deal is the one who owned him at the TDL.. aka Washington. They can, of course, sign and trade but that's terribly unlikely.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The only team that can sign Shattenkirk to an 8 year deal is the one who owned him at the TDL.. aka Washington. They can, of course, sign and trade but that's terribly unlikely.

That's even better then.

I thought he could be signed 8 years by whoever has his rights before July 1st, but I wasn't quite sure about the rule.

I don't think giving him an extra year is worth is anyway. But with guys like Suter and Weber being signed into their 40's at an even higher cap hit, Shattenkirk for $7.5 for 7 years (taking him to age 35 and not 40) isn't that bad of a deal.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I have to think Minnesota will do everything in their power to make Zucker available. The way he's emerged the past year, they'd probably rather dump a guy like Nino or Scandella to accommodate him.

Even then, I'd be happy to add one of those guys. MIN is a prime target for Shero to exploit this summer.

There's a couple of Western teams prime for trading, like Anaheim too.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I'd hope Shero trades for his rights to get that extra year to get the AAV down. Probably could offer 8x6.75 which will still have him making more money.

see above

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
And we can expose Camm if need be too.

Are there rules against bribing Vegas? Also what is the benieft of sending them low ball bribes when they can just take the better player in the draft?

Not sure what you mean by bribes, but Devils could offer of prospects/picks in exchange for Las Vegas to take (or not take) a certain player.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You sure? Could've sworn it was the team that owns his rights before July 1st, but I could be wrong.

The rule wouldn't make very much sense otherwise, especially not with the new negotiating window.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
You sure? Could've sworn it was the team that owns his rights before July 1st, but I could be wrong.

(b) The following practices also shall not be permitted under this Agreement and may not be included in any SPC, nor otherwise agreed to by any Club, any person or any entity:
(iv) An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that Player was on such Club's Reserve List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline. With respect to potential Unrestricted Free Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. With respect to a Player who becomes a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent, a Club may sign such Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years provided such Player was on such Club's Reserve List and/or Restricted Free Agent List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline.

from CBA

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Shattenkirk isn't going to re-sign with Washington. They would've definitely had the discussion with Armstrong. If there were any true possibility of him re-signing, then STL would've gotten a higher value return than what they did get. He's a pure rental for WSH and he'll be going the UFA route.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Fair enough. That makes sense.

The rule wouldn't make very much sense otherwise, especially not with the new negotiating window.

That's true. Although I could've seen it being allowed, not really much of a difference either way. I'm sure Washington would love to add an extra third round pick if a team really wanted to sign Shattenkirk for 8 years. Same goes with just about every team that has a high profile UFA-to-be.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That's true. Although I could've seen it being allowed, not really much of a difference either way. I'm sure Washington would love to add an extra third round pick if a team really wanted to sign Shattenkirk for 8 years. Same goes with just about every team that has a high profile UFA-to-be.

This is basically the system the NBA has and all it does is encourage sign-and-trade deals - Lebron James didn't technically sign with the Miami Heat, he was traded there for some 2nd round picks in a sign-and-trade. The goal of this rule was to give teams who currently have a player a leg up in retaining them.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Something to ponder...

Is the NHL a tank league? What I mean is...can one only be successful, post lock-out if you get a top 3 pick, perhaps two of them? If you are the Devils and just not terrible, but far from good, are you doomed to mediocrity?

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Something to ponder...

Is the NHL a tank league? What I mean is...can one only be successful, post lock-out if you get a top 3 pick, perhaps two of them? If you are the Devils and just not terrible, but far from good, are you doomed to mediocrity?

Tampa was a mostly mediocre team that succeeded.
As was Minnesota.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
tampa had #1 overall pick in 2008, #2 in 2009, #6 in 2010, #3 in 2013

Minnesota is probably the best example because their highest pick was Granlund in 2010

Last edited:

kiwidevil

Minny also managed to get 2 of the biggest FA's to ever hit the market.

Which got them their #1 Dman via UFA. Which is basically impossible.

They also got for free, the best performing goalie over the past 2 seasons.

So you can either do what needs to be done, to go where you know the talent is, or just eat four-leaf clover salad every meal and dream a blind hope.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Any chance Minnesota protects 8 skaters instead of 7-3 with all of their defenseman? I'd love to see a package deal that brings over a F and a D from them

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is basically the system the NBA has and all it does is encourage sign-and-trade deals - Lebron James didn't technically sign with the Miami Heat, he was traded there for some 2nd round picks in a sign-and-trade. The goal of this rule was to give teams who currently have a player a leg up in retaining them.

It hasn't really happened since the new CBA. Is there something in the CBA preventing it? Feels like one should of happened by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad