GDT: 2017 NHL Entry Draft (Rds 2-7 Sat, Jun 24 7am PT/10am ET, NHL Net/Rogers Sportsnet)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
:laugh: and my stumping is entirely worhtless as the Sharks picked Ivan Chekhovich from Baie-Comeau in the Q.

and the NHL network decides **** talking about the guy that the host wants to discuss, the analysts are going to gush over other players they like more.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Moderator of the Russian board loves Chekovich:

. Ivan Chekhovich (LW; 5'10" 172 lbs; Baie-Comeau Drakkar, QMJHL)

Chekhovich is an impersonation of the phrase "nose for the puck" — wherever the puck is, you can expect Chekhovich to appear there (even if he wasn't on the ice at all at that time): forecheck, backcheck, being a rebound magnet — it's all about him. Chekhovich is really skilled, also he is a good skater and got a good shot, although I think it would be good to add some explosiveness in those components, also some more strength definitely would help. Looking at the kind of hockey sense Chekhovich possesses I really can't avoid a Kucherov comparison.
Judging by the rankings, 3rd round is somewhere Chekhovich should go, although to be honest I wouldn't be shy to reach for him even in the second if I'd be a GM. Montreal have some picks in that region, so possibly they might be interested.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Another really good pick. As usual the Sharks disappoint in the early rounds but manage to find some gems later on.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Chmelevski was named the OHL scholastic player of the year. Sounds like a pretty awesome late pick, everything I see about him is about how offensively talented his game is. His defensive game must be brutal haha

Poor skater from what I've read.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
:laugh: and my stumping is entirely worhtless as the Sharks picked Ivan Chekhovich from Baie-Comeau in the Q.

and the NHL network decides **** talking about the guy that the host wants to discuss, the analysts are going to gush over other players they like more.

yea lol guys were like talk about this Sharks guy for us and he was like nah lemme talk about this future Oiler I like.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So smart, a decent scorer (~PPG in the Q last year), not a great skater (but the Sharks seem able to fix that to some extent).

Sure, why not. Roll the dice this late.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Chekovich had the same points per game rate in the CHL this year as Robert Thomas, who some people wanted us to draft in the first round.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
OHL and QMJHL are pretty different and realistically, guys like Conor Garland pop up all the time.

OHL offense only translates slightly more to the NHL than Q offense (last I checked it was 0.3 vs. 0.26 and the gap is closing). Chekovich is a few months older but still to get a first-time eligible forward who scored a point per game in any CHL league in the seventh round is nuts.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Poor skater from what I've read.

That's literally the opposite of what the Last Word scouting report said according to the link that was posted to his individual thread.

Skating

An incredible skater, Chmelevski has outstanding speed as well as excellent acceleration. He is dynamic off the rush, and can use his ability to change speeds as a weapon. If defencemen don’t respect his speed, he can beat them to the outside and cut to the net. If they back off too far, he can slow down and use the open space to make plays. He also has excellent edge work. Chmelevski has the ability to change directions on a dime. This makes him extremely elusive, both with and without the puck. He could stand to add a little more lower body muscle and be stronger on the puck.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Moderator of the Russian board loves Chekovich:

. Ivan Chekhovich (LW; 5'10" 172 lbs; Baie-Comeau Drakkar, QMJHL)

Chekhovich is an impersonation of the phrase "nose for the puck" — wherever the puck is, you can expect Chekhovich to appear there (even if he wasn't on the ice at all at that time): forecheck, backcheck, being a rebound magnet — it's all about him. Chekhovich is really skilled, also he is a good skater and got a good shot, although I think it would be good to add some explosiveness in those components, also some more strength definitely would help. Looking at the kind of hockey sense Chekhovich possesses I really can't avoid a Kucherov comparison.
Judging by the rankings, 3rd round is somewhere Chekhovich should go, although to be honest I wouldn't be shy to reach for him even in the second if I'd be a GM. Montreal have some picks in that region, so possibly they might be interested.

Lol I'm gonna cry

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I'm very happy with this draft. Every pick sounds like they can skate well and have either a great hockey IQ or a motor that runs high, a couple even make those around them better.
I know so many are going to down this draft because we didn't pick Yamamoto but I believe DW and TB made some good moves to get a couple of players that should have been taken much earlier.
I'm looking forward to seeing these guys skate at the Prospect game.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Bleh. You are always positive. If you are not happy about our 2017 draft picks in 2019, you will be excited about the ones we just drafted that year ... :laugh:

whynotbothgirl.jpg

:laugh:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Yeah, but if you look at the quote in the post I was replying to, he was talking about Chmeleveski. (and I am never going to remember how to spell that, so I'll just call him Chameleon... :laugh:)

Due to the Dobber hockey guy that follows the Sharks said his skating needs a lot of work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad